Unpardonable sin. My first AD in 50 years of shooting

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Lashlarue, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Lashlarue

Lashlarue Guest

I disassembled my 995 to repaint the receiver cover.All went well and had it completely reassembled, and decided to run a magazine through to make sure I hadn't overtightened the nuts or bolts.The first pull on the charging handle was rather stiff and I thought I needed to loosen the bolts. I removed the magazine thinking my pull was not completed and assuming there was no shell in the chamber, pulled the trigger. WRONG!no damage as bullet entered the carpet at a 10 degree angle and embedded it self in the sub floor.The amazing part was the noise level of the shot, wearing no hearing protection, my bb pistol is louder than the 9mm in an ATI stock.So none of my neighbors was killed, wounded or even awakened by my 11:30 pm booboo!Feel free to flame me, I deserve it!

2. Been there, done that. Except I had to replace my neighbors garbage disposal unit. At least I learned a very valuable lesson.
    Mr SNS

3. Lashlarue

Consider yourself flamed. Do you feel better now?

Seriously, no one was hurt. This can reinforce in your mind that you double check everything. Someday I'll tell you about the time I tripped going down the stairs with a Star 9mm in my hand... :lol:

4. Glad to hear everyone is OK. Make or buy some dummy rounds if you want to check the action.

My only AD has been at the range when I was dropping the hammer on a 1911 to show a friend that you could not fire a single action if the hammer was down. Hammer slipped and bullet, luckily, went somewhere downrange.

Realize what you did wrong, dont do it again, and leave that hole in the carpet for a while to remind you.

5. DrpChvy

DrpChvy Member

Like the others have said it will be a strong reminder to check the gun and dont assume it isnt loaded.

6. glad it was in a safe direction!

My cousin had an AD with my SKS years ago. He was flipping the safety off and managed to hit the trigger as well. Round hit the ground about 25 feet away.

7. Lashlarue

Lashlarue Guest

Ive tried three nearby local stores trying to find 9mm snapcaps. I'm guessing Carter 's Country has them but I find it hard to spent $8 worth of gas to buy a $10 item, it's a 45 mile round trip or almost three gallons of gas.

8. Order them online. Probably less in shipping.

9. Back when I was 15 my stepbrother handed me a .22 semi auto rifle, I asked him if it was unloaded, he said yes so I pointed at the ceiling and pulled the trigger. You can figure the rest out.

It happens so easy, we have to be very careful around our babies, they have teeth.

I am glad to hear that no one was hurt, I bet you will be checking the mags and chambers for a long time, I know I did,

10. The best thing you did today was tell us about it. Reminds ALL of us how easy it can happen. THANK YOU - seriously.

Now take your helpful advisory input from us, thank God no one was on the other end..... and move on.

11. andrew241

andrew241 Member

Ohio
    bummer man, I worry about that kind of stuff all the time. Maybe I am a worrier. Good deal everything worked out fine andeveryone is safe.

12. rodka

rodka Member

i had an AD once with my pt111 the first day i got it, luckily the 9mm is a weak round. :wink:

since then ive always kept my finger off the trigger and trained my self to always check the chamber guess im lucky that it happened then and not now where someone could have got hurt.

13. Ridge

Ridge Member

I had an AD with my 995 in Sept...was very loud. Couldnt hear anything afterwards for maybe 30 seconds...shot right between my feet and into the floor, through the ceiling of the room below and into the wall of the room below mine where it wedged into a wooden post...fortunately I was alone in the building at the time, and the damage was pretty easy to repair...I dont even keep loaded mags with the weapon anymore after that...

14. GlockMan

GlockMan Member

:shock:

I sentence all involved parties to read the following,

1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
    This is the primary rule of gun safety. A safe direction means that the gun is pointed so that even if it were to go off it would not cause injury or damage. The key to this rule is to control where the muzzle or front end of the barrel is pointed at all times. Common sense dictates the safest direction, depending on different circumstances.

2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
    When holding a gun, rest your finger on the trigger guard or along the side of the gun. Until you are actually ready to fire, do not touch the trigger.

3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
    Whenever you pick up a gun, immediately engage the safety device if possible, and, if the gun has a magazine, remove it before opening the action and looking into the chamber(s) which should be clear of ammunition. If you do not know how to open the action or inspect the chamber(s), leave the gun alone and get help from someone who does.

When using or storing a gun, always follow these NRA safety rules:

Know your target and what is beyond.
    Be absolutely sure you have identified your target beyond any doubt. Equally important, be aware of the area beyond your target. This means observing your prospective area of fire before you shoot. Never fire in a direction in which there are people or any other potential for mishap. Think first. Shoot second.

Know how to use the gun safely.
    Before handling a gun, learn how it operates. Know its basic parts, how to safely open and close the action and remove any ammunition from the gun or magazine. Remember, a gun's mechanical safety device is never foolproof. Nothing can ever replace safe gun handling.

Be sure the gun is safe to operate.
    Just like other tools, guns need regular maintenance to remain operable. Regular cleaning and proper storage are a part of the gun's general upkeep. If there is any question concerning a gun's ability to function, a knowledgeable gunsmith should look at it.

Use only the correct ammunition for your gun.
    Only BBs, pellets, cartridges or shells designed for a particular gun can be fired safely in that gun. Most guns have the ammunition type stamped on the barrel. Ammunition can be identified by information printed on the box and sometimes stamped on the cartridge. Do not shoot the gun unless you know you have the proper ammunition.

Wear eye and ear protection as appropriate.
    Guns are loud and the noise can cause hearing damage. They can also emit debris and hot gas that could cause eye injury. For these reasons, shooting glasses and hearing protectors should be worn by shooters and spectators.

Never use alcohol or over-the-counter, prescription or other drugs before or while shooting.
    Alcohol, as well as any other substance likely to impair normal mental or physical bodily functions, must not be used before or while handling or shooting guns.

Store guns so they are not accessible to unauthorized persons.
    Many factors must be considered when deciding where and how to store guns. A person's particular situation will be a major part of the consideration. Dozens of gun storage devices, as well as locking devices that attach directly to the gun, are available. However, mechanical locking devices, like the mechanical safeties built into guns, can fail and should not be used as a substitute for safe gun handling and the observance of all gun safety rules.

Be aware that certain types of guns and many shooting activities require additional safety precautions.

Cleaning
    Regular cleaning is important in order for your gun to operate correctly and safely. Taking proper care of it will also maintain its value and extend its life. Your gun should be cleaned every time that it is used.
    A gun brought out of prolonged storage should also be cleaned before shooting. Accumulated moisture and dirt, or solidified grease and oil, can prevent the gun from operating properly.

Before cleaning your gun, make absolutely sure that it is unloaded. The gun's action should be open during the cleaning process. Also, be sure that no ammunition is present in the cleaning area.

The Parents' Responsibility

In a home where guns are kept, the degree of safety a child has rests squarely on the child's parents.

Parents who accept the responsibility to learn, practice and teach gun safety rules will ensure their child's safety to a much greater extent than those who do not. Parental responsibility does not end, however, when the child leaves the home.

According to federal statistics, there are guns in approximately half of all U.S. households. Even if no one in your family owns a gun, chances are that someone you know does. Your child could come in contact with a gun at a neighbor's house, when playing with friends, or under other circumstances outside your home.

It is critical for your child to know what to do if he or she encounters a firearm anywhere, and it is the parents' responsibility to provide that training.

Talking With Your Child About Gun Safety

There is no particular age to talk with your child about gun safety. A good time to introduce the subject is the first time he or she shows an interest in firearms, even toy pistols or rifles. Talking openly and honestly about gun safety with your child is usually more effective than just ordering him or her to "Stay out of the gun closet," and leaving it at that. Such statements may just stimulate a child's natural curiosity to investigate further.

As with any safety lesson, explaining the rules and answering a child's questions help remove the mystery surrounding guns. Any rules set for your own child should also apply to friends who visit the home. This will help keep your child from being pressured into showing a gun to a friend.

Toy Guns vs. Real Guns

It is also advisable, particularly with very young children, to discuss gun use on television as opposed to gun use in real life. Firearms are often handled carelessly in movies and on TV. Additionally, children see TV and movie characters shot and "killed" with well-documented frequency. When a young child sees that same actor appear in another movie or TV show, confusion between entertainment and real life may result. It may be a mistake to assume that your child knows the difference between being "killed" on TV and in reality.

If your child has toy guns, you may want to use them to demonstrate safe gun handling and to explain how they differ from genuine firearms. Even though an unsupervised child should not have access to a gun, there should be no chance that he or she could mistake a real gun for a toy.

What Should You Teach Your Child About Gun Safety?

If you have decided that your child is not ready to be trained in a gun's handling and use, teach him or her to follow the instructions of NRA's Eddie Eagle GunSafe® Program. If you find a gun:

STOP!
    Don't Touch.

Leave the Area.

Tell an Adult.

The initial steps of "Stop" and "Don't Touch" are the most important. To counter the natural impulse to touch a gun, it is imperative that you impress these steps of the safety message upon your child.

In today's society, where adult supervision is not always possible, the direction to "Leave the Area" is also essential. Under some circumstances, area may be understood to be a room if your child cannot physically leave the apartment or house.

"Tell an Adult" emphasizes that children should seek a trustworthy adult, neighbor, relative or teacher -- if a parent or guardian is not available.

The NRA's Eddie Eagle GunSafe Program includes an instructor guide, activity books, poster, and an animated video to explain its four-step safety message. For more information about the program, visit www.nrahq.org/safety/eddie or call (800) 231-0752.

Basic Gun Safety Rules

Although the NRA has complete gun safety rules available for specific types of firearm use (hunting and competition, for example), the following three rules are fundamental in any situation. Whether or not you own a gun, it is important to know these rules so that you may insist that others follow them.

Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction. Whether you are shooting or simply handling a gun, never point it at yourself or others.
    Common sense will tell you which direction is the safest. Outdoors, it is generally safe to point the gun toward the ground, or, if you are at a shooting range, toward the target. Indoors, be mindful of the fact that a bullet can penetrate ceilings, floors, walls, windows, and doors.

Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot. When holding a gun, rest your trigger finger outside the trigger guard alongside the gun. Until you are actually ready to fire, do not touch the trigger.

Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use. If you do not know how to check to see if a gun is unloaded, leave it alone. Carefully secure it, being certain to point it safely and to keep your finger off the trigger, and seek competent assistance.

Where to Get Training

The time may come when you or your family members want to learn how to handle and shoot a gun safely. In the case of a child, his or her attitude, learning ability, and physical and emotional maturity are some of the factors to be weighed before allowing formal instruction to begin.

When a parent decides a young person is ready, many training opportunities are available. For more information on Youth Programs, call (703) 267-1505.

Providing instruction in the safe handling, use, and storage of firearms is one of the NRA's most important functions. Basic Firearm Training Courses, taught by over 50,000 NRA Certified Instructors, are offered in every state. A program called "FIRST Steps" (Firearm Instruction, Responsibility, and Safety Training) provides a three-hour orientation to your specific firearm. For more information about taking any of these courses, call (703) 267-1430.

Gun Owners' Responsibilities

Most states impose some form of legal duty on adults to take reasonable steps to deny access by children to dangerous substances or instruments. It is the individual gun owner's responsibility to understand and follow all laws regarding gun purchase, ownership, storage, transport, etc. Contact your state police and/or local police for information regarding such laws. If you own a gun and do not know how to operate it, do not experiment with it. Point it in a safe direction, keep your finger off the trigger, and store it securely. Seek competent assistance and instruction at once. An untrained adult can be as dangerous as a curious child.

Store guns so that they are inaccessible to children and other unauthorized users. Gun shops sell a wide variety of safes, cases, and other security devices. While specific security measures may vary, a parent must, in every case, assess the exposure of the firearm and absolutely ensure that it is inaccessible to a child.

Sentence Served,

You are now all Paroled, now go directly to your local range and practice the above safety suggestions while having fun shooting your firearms.

15. Ridge

Ridge Member

Yeah my mistake was repeated dry firing with what I had forgot to be a loaded mag...

16. Scriz

Scriz Guest

#1 Firearm safety rule

All guns are always loaded!

Like others have said, learn from your mistake and don't have it happen again. Next time it might be a little worse. :) Give your carpet some CPR for me.

My AD story came from the range when I was qualifying my 9mm with some marines as the Range Captains, not sure what happened, but i racked the slide back, finger was NOT on the trigger, and weapon was on safe. To my surprised as the slide road itself forward a round discharged, good thing I had the weapon pointed downrange at my target. I was promptly taken off the range and cleared of any "negligence" on my part due to a faulty weapon. I was quite "pleased" when I got a mouthful from the Range Captain about weapons safety. It happens to the best of us.

17. I have yet to have an AD, and at that, I have only been shooting for about a year. At the local gun rage, there are a lot of holes in the roof of the covering to be from what I assume are lots of ADs. Makes you kinda wonder about shooting there with it being crowded.

18. Gramps

Gramps Guest

If you haven`t had an AD assume you will and act accordingly.

19. The metal roof at the outside range I go to has so many holes in it when it rains you stay drier getting out from under it. It has seen a lot of boo boos over the years

20. Glad no one was injured and no serious damage. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. We all learn and re-learn from each other. That's what we're all here for (well, that and the chick pic thread) :wink: