Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wel, I got my C9 Compact back from Mom today, they buffered the ramp, replaced all the springs, and said they ran 4 magazines through it with no problems. They even threw in an extra Magazine for my troubles. Just a warning, I sent mine UPS like they said, and since it was a firearm, they had to send it 2nd day "Air", so it cost 30.00 to send back. I live in Dayton and the are in Manasfield Ohio, about a hour 1 /2 drive from here so I highly doubt it was sent air. I'm gong to take it to the range this weekend and put it through it's paces, f it does well, then I will be well pleased with the service!!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, that is odd about the 2nd day "air" I would most likely be callin them on that.
I did, and they told me it was true, look on their website about sending firarms. It does say that they have to be sent 2nd day air. Hell I could have lied and not told them it was a handgun, but I giess I'm too honest!!!!

·
Premium Member
36,070 Posts
Crap, for that price, I'd have figured out a reason to go to Mansfield and tried to get a tour.:D

·
Super Moderator
28,618 Posts
I live in Dayton
Hey there, another Daytonian!

Let me take this opportunity to invite you to come out to my Western Martial Arts club (a club, not a school). We're informal and have a lot of fun. Bowie knife, tomahawk, slungshot, Pugilism, military saber, Bartitsu, irish stick, &tc.

Personal invite. :)

I'm in Huber Heights and we meet on Tuesday nights (canceled for next week, however).

http://cbd.atspace.com

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Super Moderator
28,618 Posts
I did, and they told me it was true, look on their website about sending firarms. It does say that they have to be sent 2nd day air. Hell I could have lied and not told them it was a handgun, but I giess I'm too honest!!!!
UPS's official policy is that it has to go next day air. This is a corporate policy, and not Federal Law. Federal Law says that when the originating sender is a Private Individual and not a FFL (Federal Firearms License) holder, Handguns being shipped (whether in-state or across state lines) must be shipped by a Private Carrier (iow, non-FFL people can't use USPS).

UPS, FedEx, DHL, &tc. could choose to ship the handgun however they want. Slow Boat Through China, rocket around the moon, or Bicycle Delivery Boy if they wanted. However, some time back, UPS made the decision to force handguns to be shipped over-night, at a much higher premium. UPS officially says that the reason for this decision is because packages containing handguns were being stolen en-route and the 2nd Day offers better tracking, security, and gets it out of their hands faster. Many firearms advocates have publicly doubted this "reason" and have opined that UPS is anti-gun and using this as an excuse to add unreasonable expense to firearms owners.

To sum up, there is NOTHING illegal about shipping a handgun with any private carrier declared as some accurate but misleading label (such as "machine parts" or "precision hole punch"). But it may in direct violation of the Private Carrier's Corporate Policy and if the package is lost, stolen, or damaged, the Carrier may "decline" reimbursement, probably citing a contractual violation between the shipper and the Carrier.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Super Moderator
28,618 Posts
Wierd! I was always told to declare it as "machine parts"* and send it regular UPS. Maybe the rules have changed.

* And, yeah, I always disassembled the firearm to officially qualify as 'parts'.
No, that's perfectly legal but intended to circumvent UPS's corporate policy. UPS's "rules" are more strict than Federal Law.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
36,070 Posts
The application of the policy is also uneven...when I ship UPS, the UPS folks don't ask. It cost me $12 last time I shipped a pistol, all the way to Maryland.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts