Update on my wife.

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by CajunBass, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Thought I'd try keep you all abrest of how my wife is doing. Yesterday, on the way home from rehab, we saw the rescue squad truck parked at the station house. She had said she wanted to stop in and thank them when we had an opportunity, so I asked her if she was up to it. She said she was so we pulled in.

She stayed in the truck while I went in. I wasn't sure I'd recognize anyone to tell you the truth, but the first guy I saw, I knew right away. He was the fellow who kept me out of the way, told me what was going on, and kept me from falling to pieces. He also recognized me right away. I asked him if they'd like to meet her and see how she was doing. "WOULD WE? You're darn right we would."

Turns out the entire crew from both units that responded that day were there. They all came out and stood around the truck while she and I shook hands with each one of them and thanked them for everything they did that horrible day back in November. There wasn't a dry eye in that parking lot I don't think. I know mine weren't.

I wish I had pictures, but I never think to carry a camera with me ever, but I will never forget them and what they did for that us that day.

God bless them all, and all those who give of their time and their talent to help others. :bthumb:

2. A community like that is great, which is what I like about small towns: people know and remember those that have stood up for them.

Thanks for keeping us posted, and the best of blessings to you and your wife.

And if you do get back for pictures, post those heroes here!

3. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Your and her gratitude probably meant the world to them! I wonder how many people ever go back and say a simple "thank you".

4. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

+1

6. Ari

Ari Guest

What a great thing to do! I know many of those folks never get to hear the rest of the story. I very glad she is doing well

7. I actually had a pilot stop by my truck as I was pumping fuel to a jet just so he could thank me for doing my job.... Full bird Colonel, the Wing Vice Commander, and he's thanking ME an E-3 for doing my job!!!!

Yeah buddy, it does feel good to be appreciated. You did the right thing and I know those guys appreciated you for taking the time. CB, you're a hellofa guy, and Praise God for your wife, and the fact that she's still here with us all. You know you still have all my prayers for her continued recovery.

8. I don't know that it would have occured to me normally, but my ex-wife rode rescue squad for years, and I knew how much it meant to her when she got the opportunity to hear "the rest of the story" as Paul Harvey says. She would be on a "high" for days to know she really made a difference.

9. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

My wife is a paramedic/firefighter. She always likes to tell me the "rest of the story" when it gets back to her, even if she just hears it through the grapevine. She has a personal interest in how things turn out for a person, and has a sense of pride around it.

There's no way to not have some sort of emotional investment, however small, in someone you've held onto at the threshold of death's door.

10. I have to be honest with you. I have no idea what happened with you and/or your Wife. But, hope All is well and all blessings to Your Family.

11. Sambo, back on 11/27 she suffered a ruptured brain anurysum. The rescuse squad responded and called for an emergency airlift to get her to a hospital where they performed an emergency operation, and by the grace of God no doubt saved her life.

I've been posting the story in this forum over the last couple of months, but things have slowed down recently. Now, it's "baby steps."

12. geon

geon Member

CB,

God bless you both as well as the crew who helped her!

13. Sounds like some made for TV movie or something.... you know the ones where you get up afterward and wipe the tears from your eyes, and are pretty darn sure there's a wonderful God out there who takes care of us.

thanks for the update my friend, you know it means a great deal to us. We'll all keep praying for you and your wife.

14. Glad she's doing better, and thank you for thanking them. Some of us go years between heartfealt thank yous; I know I'm still kept going sometimes by one I got 5 years ago.

15. Great to her she is getting better bro!! You will both be in my thoughts.

16. really glad to hear that your wife is continuing to do better, its nice to hear a story every now and then with a happy ending