Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there are 3 pistols that I CC, depending on my needs at the time.
  • Remington R51
  • Kel Tec P11
  • Taurus TCP 738

I haven't yet found a single stack 9 that I like better than the R51 so I have no plans on changing that. I don't care what your R51 does; mine is reliable, soft shooting, has a good trigger, and points very naturally. I may upgrade it eventually because it is unclear right now if the new Remington will continue to support it, but for now, it's staying put.

The P11 and TCP, however, are on the upgrade chopping block. Both have served me well but both are now discontinued firearms. Taurus discontinued the TCP in 2017, replacing it with the SPECTRUM. Kel Tec discontinued the P11 in 2019, replacing it with... nothing. Both the P11 and TCP have their shortcomings, notably long, heavy triggers, and sights that desperately need upgrading. I upgraded the P11 sights to fiber optics a lighter, and upgraded to a smoother trigger but it's still super long. Nothing to do about the TCP; the sights are milled in (and terrible) and I don't recall ever seeing a trigger spring kit for it.

The P11 replacement needs to be something is the same size with comparable capacity. But my 50-something-year-old eyes are telling me that a red dot should be my next pistol sighting system for the primary. So if there's not a RD option, it's out of the running. There are a ton of options right now, and more coming out but the strongest competitors for my needs seem to be the Hellcat and the MAX-9 but the price tag on the RD ready Hellcat puts the Ruger in the lead. I keep hearing good things about the Shield Plus but the dot version significantly grows the form factor and is much more expensive. I keep hearing good things about the Taurus GX4 so maybe if they come out with a TORO version? SCCY claims they're shipping the DVG-1RD but I have yet to see any customer reviews (all of which I take with a grain of salt anyway).

I really haven't looked hard at replacing the TCP. I kinda looked at the SPECTRUM because I like the looks of it and it's the official Taurus replacement but I couldn't talk myself past basically the exact same sights and trigger. I thought about the Ruger LCP II, which has a better trigger but that's pretty much all. Just couldn't bite on it; not really enough improvement. But the new Ruger LCP MAX has significantly better sights, a better trigger than the TCP (and the SPECTRUM), and an astonishing 12 round capacity. That's basically the same thing as the CZ 83 in the same size package as the TCP. Yes, the grip on the MAX is about 1/4" longer and 1/8-1/4" wider. Still a pocket gun and will carry in exactly the same pockets as the TCP.

So right now it looks like I may become a Ruger fanboi, and swap the P11 for a MAX-9 with a red dot and swap the TCP for the LCP MAX.

I'm just kinda thinking out loud here, really. And I likely won't move on anything for another 6 months or more. But, hey, here's where you comment and tell me why I'm right or why I'm wrong. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
I don't own either of the Rugers you're looking at. I do have and EC9. L like the trigger and the size, it's been totally reliable and is my primary summer EDC. I have owned other Ruger handguns and their quality is very good. If I were buying my EC over again, I'd spend the money to get the LC with better sights, as you indicate. Don't see how you can go wrong (just don't go Block on us!)

Reactions: lklawson

·
Premium Member
35,856 Posts
I'd suggest you play with some red dot sighted small guns before you commit to a carry gun with a red dot. Realistically, I think a laser might be the better option for a "fast sighting with bad eyes" scenario. Not that they don't have their own issues.

The only Hellcat I handled had a really bad, heavy trigger, so....try before you buy. The reviews say they are good triggers, but MANY people seem to put the Apex trigger kit on, so....can we say Glock-itis is in effect, and the perfection isn't all that perfect?

I liked the Ruger Max I handled. Good price, good trigger. If it had pointed better, I would have bought it, but I wouldn't have put the red dot on it. It comes with a fiber optic front sight, but not night sights. Adding night sights puts it up much closer to the Sig price.

The Shield is probably the best gun of the group, but the size is slightly larger, and the cost is slightly higher than some. The Pro Shop version is nifty, but kind of pointless...the trigger isn't better than the excellent trigger on the base model, and the porting isn't all that nifty once you shoot a few rounds indoors; this gun doesn't have 'that " much muzzle flip. But again, it didn't point for me.

The Sig was the one I chose, simply because I liked the non-bladed trigger, and it pointed really well for me. I got the non-Red dot version, because on a carry gun, I just felt like the optics were too much, and they take some unknown and possibly very expensive range time to get used to.

On the few RD's I tried, I would have been dead long before I EVER got on target, and I don't know how much ammo I'd have to burn before I got proficient. So I went with the included night sights on the Sig. About $550 with tax, IIRC. Most expensive handgun I've ever bought.

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd suggest you play with some red dot sighted small guns before you commit to a carry gun with a red dot. Realistically, I think a laser might be the better option for a "fast sighting with bad eyes" scenario. Not that they don't have their own issues.
[...]
On the few RD's I tried, I would have been dead long before I EVER got on target, and I don't know how much ammo I'd have to burn before I got proficient. So I went with the included night sights on the Sig. About $550 with tax, IIRC. Most expensive handgun I've ever bought.
Yeah, you have to re-learn how to sight. Basically start over from scratch. The problem is not really how to use the sights, it's how to find the dot quickly. Part of that seems to be lots of reps and "muscle memory" <cough> with that specific gun and modifying how you present the gun to your eyes when you draw.

I know it's coming. But it works with irons too so it should be OK. I just have to put in work. Kinda like learning how to drive a standard after driving an automatic for my entire life.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
9,338 Posts
I recently decided to go with the high capacity I to 9mtrend. Obviously I am a Ruger fanboi so I wanted the Max 9 with a red dot….at least until I handled it. It rattled worse than my Parris Island 1911, and had a horrible trigger with lots of take up and a long reset.

And I put the nix on the red dot quickly as well. I handled both a SCCY and a Sig so equipped. Did not like them at all. They were slow on target and my old eyes just did not take to them well.

I was not interested in the SCCY, but the Sig 365 is a really sweet gun. I just did not like the handle as much as I should have.

The Taurus GX4 I liked, but I put it back. Just because.

I chose the Shield 9 Plus. It felt great in my hand, pointed well for me, had the best trigger in the group, and I had a positive past with a 1st generation Shield. Glad I made the purchase.

But the Taurus kept haunting me. I went back and bought it too. It’s a bit smaller and lighter than the Shield, has an equally good trigger save it’s about a pound heavier. But it is crisp with a fast reset. Did not like the sight, but fixed that with an Ameriglo night sight. A plus to me was the 2 flush fit 11 round magazines. After all, that was the point of me looking at one of the micro 9’s. Small and high capacity.

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
I saw a review of the LCP MAX from a recent buyer who really liked it. The sights are apparently very nice, and the trigger was nice for him. It might be worth looking at or renting one at your LGS to see if it really is all that.

If you don't mind sacrificing some capacity, the Sig P938 is a really nice shooter. The sights, trigger and stippling perfection on the front strap are the biggest contributors to that. It shoots so well that I can easily make repeated hits on a 10" plate at 25 yards with it, single-handed, with either my strong or weak hand. You get big gun performance out of a micro compact gun with it.

·
Premium Member
21,307 Posts
The S9+ will eat you alive with it's extremely rough grip. I have handled them twice. I like the trigger a bunch. I already have a 43X with 15+1. Pass on the Shield. I have a Gen1 Shield. Like it. Never carry it.

The Taurus Spectrum I don't have pudgy fingers. Still have a hard time getting inside the trigger guard to go to work. I haven't seen an LCP Max yet. I like my LCP2. The Max may become my next pocket carry.

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw a review of the LCP MAX from a recent buyer who really liked it. The sights are apparently very nice, and the trigger was nice for him. It might be worth looking at or renting one at your LGS to see if it really is all that.

If you don't mind sacrificing some capacity, the Sig P938 is a really nice shooter. The sights, trigger and stippling perfection on the front strap are the biggest contributors to that. It shoots so well that I can easily make repeated hits on a 10" plate at 25 yards with it, single-handed, with either my strong or weak hand. You get big gun performance out of a micro compact gun with it.
1911 pattern pistols are all sweet shooters. I'm not going to deal with a thumb safety gun but if I did, I'd get a micro-pocket 380, such as the Colt Mustang .380, and Some sort of 1911 variant in 9mm, but larger than an Officers or a pocket pistol. Maybe a 2011? Nah.

But yeah, 1911 pattern guns shoot really nice. A friend had a Colt Mustang .380 that I shot. It was such a sweet shooter that, just for fun, I was able to use the itty little thing to shoot the NRA Pistol Instructor qual. But I don't really want to mess with the thumb safety and the MAX has much better capacity.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
679 Posts
I had a TCP for a few months and traded it in on an LCPII. The 738 was a jam-o-matic and would not cycle any ammo for more than 3 rounds. Traded it within 6 months. I really got stinker in that one. The LCPII has been a dream and is my summer carry. I also carry Ruger's EC9s. Great weapon and it carries well. I am sure you could not go wrong with the MAX-9 and although I've never shot one, I read glowing reviews about it.

Reactions: histed

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
I had a TCP for a few months and traded it in on an LCPII. The 738 was a jam-o-matic and would not cycle any ammo for more than 3 rounds. Traded it within 6 months. I really got stinker in that one. The LCPII has been a dream and is my summer carry. I also carry Ruger's EC9s. Great weapon and it carries well. I am sure you could not go wrong with the MAX-9 and although I've never shot one, I read glowing reviews about it.
That's really interesting, Chef. I have no doubt that you had a bad one - I had one that would eat like a Hi Point. Anything, including my reloads, functioned without a flaw. Just goes to show that Taurus is (or maybe was) a crapshoot. When thy work, they work well. When they don't, they seem to do that very well also.

Reactions: Chef Duane

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
1911 pattern pistols are all sweet shooters. I'm not going to deal with a thumb safety gun but if I did, I'd get a micro-pocket 380, such as the Colt Mustang .380, and Some sort of 1911 variant in 9mm, but larger than an Officers or a pocket pistol. Maybe a 2011? Nah.

But yeah, 1911 pattern guns shoot really nice. A friend had a Colt Mustang .380 that I shot. It was such a sweet shooter that, just for fun, I was able to use the itty little thing to shoot the NRA Pistol Instructor qual. But I don't really want to mess with the thumb safety and the MAX has much better capacity.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
If you didn't mind the thumb safety, you'd really like the P938 if you liked the Mustang. They're virtually the same pistols from what I can see, other than 2mm more length in the P938's chamber. You'd probably shoot the P938 as well as the Mustang.

If the capacity and lack of a thumb safety are priorities, then the MAX is probably going to be your best bet. Let us know what you think of it when you get your hands on one.

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Let us know what you think of it when you get your hands on one.
It'll be a while. You know me. I move pretty carefully about these things usually.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: Think1st and histed

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
It'll be a while. You know me. I move pretty carefully about these things usually.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
That's an understatement extreme, Kirk, ole friend. You make a turtle look like a race horse!! Of course, you could be thinking of
the old tortoise and bulldog story

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Oh, I know about your deliberations when it comes to new pistols, but there's no deliberation needed to go handle one at the LGS. That's the feedback I want to hear about.

·
Premium Member
21,307 Posts
Well, on a whim I called my favorite LGS. "Hey Lee, got the LCP Max in stock?" "Just got one in, only one I have, still in the box, $419." "Start the paper work I'm turning around." Got it, and they had some 12rd factory mags. Got 2 of those. $39.99 a pop! OUCH! I might test it tomorrow down South with some ball ammo. Not much difference in size with the LCP2. I dd get a range pass too. Got a 25rd sack of Aguila JHP's that look a bunch like Hydrashoks. Oh yeah, the front sight is tritium :love:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts