US Army Survival Guide Copyright issues

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by TylerSpilker, May 17, 2008.

1. TylerSpilker

TylerSpilker Member

Well, I have been thinking about getting a good copy of the Army field guide printed which I have gotten from here, however, it says this on the first page:

Reprinted as NOT permitted by U.S. Department of the Army, but by we the citizenry who paid for it

That seems kind of like a snobbish comment from a tin-foil head, and I am wondering if that we are actually entitled a right to get it printed, or we need permission.

From lulu.com they can do individual copies for less than $10+shipping which delivers perfect bound copies of books, not bad.

I was wondering if anyone knows what the policy is on this. I can put the link to the book i put on there if anyone is interested in getting it from them.

Thanks
    -Tyler

2. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

We as citizens can copy it, but i'm sure we cannot sell it (for profit)

3. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

+1

It is a "publicly owned" item and we can copy it all we want. We just can't sell it for profit, hence the +10 cost on the book from lulu. Just enough to cover the "costs" of printing it.

4. Tyler could you post the link to the book please?

5. TylerSpilker

TylerSpilker Member

http://www.lulu.com/content/2552283

If you want a better cover, upload it yourself! lol

It is 8.5x11, it would have messed up the formatting and page numbers if I changed it (also, I dont know if the page numbers are set up properly or not.)

6. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

I started printing at 1900 hours... it's 1926 hours now and page 46 just completed... will do math in a minute to find out how long it will take, and what time it should be complete. ;)

Edit: 2 Hours and 15 minutes, given I fill up the paper tray and not let it run out of paper... :lol: I can't wait!

7. TylerSpilker

TylerSpilker Member

Im going to print a copy off tomorrow.

I bet I could perfect bind it myself.... I saw how they do it on "how it's made"

8. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

After you have the printed pages, add 2 blank pages to the top and bottom of the stack, 1 to rip off after glueing the bind, and the other to glue to the book board... (Keeps your 1st page as the title)

Good video on making it look like a book here:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8vN6ilTq9M[/ame]
    What's book board?

9. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

Wow! I let it sit and cool down for ~10 minutes about page 150 or so, and it's done @ 2125... So 1900-2125hours = ~2.4hours on a HP Deskjet 5650 printer with only a 10 min "Break"... :) Thanks for the link TylerSpilker!

10. Thanks for the link, this one is getting printed off for hard times.

11. TylerSpilker

TylerSpilker Member

Mine took like 20 minutes at work :D

Im going to either get it bound here at work (we have some binding options) or try and do it myself for free. We'll see