Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

First time gun owner starting my 10-day today; buying a C9 half as a cheap first time gun and half for an engineering/tinkering side project. So happy to discover this forum!

I've been Googling my ass off but haven't found anyone that looks like the've done a Picatinny-on-top conversion without milling off the ridge on the top of the slide. Does anyone know of anyone who has instead 3D printed a pic (or milled one) with a cutout on the bottom to handle the ridge, and do an attachment anchored to the sight bores? The fact that pic-on-bottom kits are a dime a dozen makes searching for this stuff super hard.

I know lots of people have used epoxy; call it fussiness or engineer's instinct but mixing epoxy into spring and pin or screwed systems just feels sacreligious to me. I'd love to figure out a way to get that pic on top without needing to knock any metal off or use any glue. I'm a little concerned about the sight-mount holes having enough depth and tension to keep 3-4in of pic in place but if it's wobbly I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

I've started knocking up some models on OpenSCAD but until I actually get the gun and can get my micrometer on it, they're only block sketches. Any info, thoughts, disparagement for not liking glue, etc. welcome :)

·
Premium Member
35,829 Posts
If you added a threaded hole in the slide, and a matching hole in the front half of your rail, that would help.

But I'd consider a threaded insert, I'm not sure threads in Zamack will last, seeing as how I have guns made with steel. with wallowed out holes in them....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you added a threaded hole in the slide, and a matching hole in the front half of your rail, that would help.
Oh that's an interesting thought; hadn't considered that. I reckon I could get by with just one and use the sight holes for the rear ones; the advantage of having the dugout for the sight would be a little more of a lock-in fit with some more support as opposed to just a bare hole.

But I'd consider a threaded insert, I'm not sure threads in Zamack will last, seeing as how I have guns made with steel. with wallowed out holes in them....
Yeah zamack is squishy for sure; wonder if there's some way I could get it to be a little more solid... Maybe some threadloc?

·
Premium Member
10,285 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Not sure what you are planning on doing? There is a small rail that mounts in the rear sight out there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

Generally just want a rail to play with attachments. I've only seen bottom rail adapters; do you happen to have a link or googling tip for the top mount one?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts