Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading lots of comments in the forums, I was worried about my new mag, how long it would take to break in properly, etc.

Got the box from UPS and opened it up and took my .40 to the range, with the new mag and a Hogue Handall medium size grip sleeve, along with a Fobus E2 holster. Used the Winchester white box ammo and decided to try the CCI Blazer ammo, which was under $13 a box at Wally world.

And guess what? It all worked fine. New mag gave absolutely no issues, despite just taking it out of the box, loading it up, and shooting it. I was all ready for something to quit on me, prepared to have to fiddle around, or be forced to leave it loaded overnight and try again the next day; but it fed 30 rounds of both types of ammo with no FTF. I'm happy!

And I really like how the Hand-all makes the grip feel, I have a small hand (about a medium glove, usually) and this makes the pistol feel exactly right to me. I like it so much I'm thinking I might need one for all my pistols.

As for the ammo, both types shot dead center, as well as I could hold it. No difference that I could see in shot group, which I managed to get down to under 2" at 15 yards by the end of 60 rounds...still trying to figure out how to be a good pistol shooter, but the HP sights make it pretty easy as long as I take my time. They felt the same to me when shooting as well.

Then I just blew off the rest of the ammo as fast as I could get a flash sight, and am happy to report that the used pistol now has given me 150 rounds of perfect function, no failures of any type. I have come to expect that, as I own 2 Makarovs, which are now over 1000 rounds from me, and who knows how many by the East German and Bulgarian gov'ts that had them before me; and they never fail either. So I have spent $360 on my three pistols, and have never yet experienced a failure of any kind. (knock on wood)

Just to demonstrate how happy that makes me, my shooting partner is my son-in-law, who shot a Walther and a Springfield; over $900 in pistols, and he rarely got through a magazine without a failure. The Walther is old and well used; and it could be the ammo, as its a P22 and we all know how "good" rimfire ammo is these days, but his Springfield XD .45 was only two years and about 600 rounds old. So he sold it, and he now has a HiPoint as well.
Guess us cheap old farts can still teach the young ones a thing or two about the world, after all.

G

·
well i just shot mine today and was impressed i let my mag sit with rounds in it to break in the spring ,What holster do you have can you give me a link cause i have the 40 [email protected] also , im having trouble finding a holster for it .. i felrt kinda stupid for taking the gun in the original box to bass pro here to go shooting (lol) :shock:

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Hey ajole, I'm glad to hear you had no troubles with your .40 & your new Mag.
It also sounds like your getting great groups

What did you think of the recoil as compared to your Makarovs? I'm just curious.

pauliedrft, if you were at a Bass Pro Shop then you might be close to me here in Springfield, MO.
So where are you located at?

·
Premium Member
36,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fobus source and recoil vs Mak

Sorry to have not seen these posts before, I didn't get the email notification...

J & M hunting supply was the source for my mag and Fobus E2 holster, at shootnhunt.com, they were fast and I'll order there again.

http://www.shootnhunt.com/catalog/JM/holsters/fobus/fobus_e2_paddle_holsters/0630144.html

As far as the recoil goes, the C9 is a sharper recoil than the Mak, but not really more, if that makes sense. My .40 JCP feels like less recoil, possibly because of the mass. None of them is anywhere near objectionable. But I can put follow up shots on target much faster with the JCP when I want to shoot fast. The sights on the Maks are not nearly as good as the HPs, but then, they are military pistols. Of course, concealment is better with the Mak.

I actually like how the Mak fits my hand better than the C9, but with the hand-all, I like the JCP best, which surprised me, as I have a small hand.

I ordered a C9Comp two months ago, if I ever get it, I'll be very curious to see how it compares. I also hope the longer mag will make it feel better than the C9 in my hand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.