Used all my saved up karma points today.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Howie_Roll, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Howie_Roll

Howie_Roll Member

My son called me to come get a complete ready to sail 18 foot Hobie Cat. Trailer...all the riggings. Two trapez and even the hand trailer with ballon tires to man handle it over the dunes. I am a happy camper..Come on summer time. Oh...did I mention he was just giving it away!

2. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Sweet! I haven't sailed for a few years. Last time was Lake Superior on my brother in laws 26 foot sailboat. Come to think of it he dumped us overboard that time and that is why I haven't sailed with him again... that lake is only 50 degrees even mid summer!

3. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Congrats Howie!

4. Howie_Roll

Howie_Roll Member

Its been awhile for me as well as far as sail power. I've got a few flat bottoms and a 14 foot scanoe with a trolling motor but I've never sailed a cat. But I'm sure its gonna be more fun the the 16 ft Lightings and Rebels I learned on. Mostly because ill be teaching my kids and the flying hull factor. But the guy told me it was easy to keep it on even keels if you just wanted to pitter pat around with the faint hearted.....not a boat you want your cell phone with you....regardless.

5. Grant

Grant Member

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Very nice!

I've sailed as crew on a cat, and a trimaran, normal boats, and sailed some Lightning and Laser boats, and really prefer something with a hull.

But the cat is really cool as far as easy to trailer, light and easy to launch, doesn't take heavy winds to scoot, and the price is hard to beat.

Should be fun!

7. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

There were bunch of them on the lake my parents had a house on. Always saw people out there trying to flip them back upright.

8. Liberty

Liberty Shhh! Lifetime Supporter

Congrats! I hope you learn how to sail it correctly and have a lot of fun with it.

9. Howie_Roll

Howie_Roll Member

Yes...I told my oldest son it wasn't a one man boat unless the one man weighed 250 lbs. He said " well let's try not to tip her over." I told him I googled Hobie Cats....every fourth picture was of one tipped over! I prefer one with a hull also. I really need some more karma points.....I prefer one with a galley and a head also..

10. Howie_Roll

Howie_Roll Member

Picked her up today my work truck was too tall for the mast to miss it so I had to used my Astro.

Attached Files: