Used the last of my titegroup tonight

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by lklawson, Jun 30, 2020.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Use the last of my hodgdon titegroup powder tonight. Didn't quite get one final 50 round set out of it. But I did get one full charge with the very last drop of it. I've never had that happen before. As I got down to the bottom, I started weighing each and every individual charge to make sure that it wasn't undercharged. On the very last one, I tapped out the powder measure dumped it several times and put it on the scale. It measured exactly the right amount. Much to my surprise.

Anyway, I'm moving on to unique. Titegroup is just too finicky and fiddly a powder. It seems to leak past the seals on my powder measure, so there is always one or two kernel flakes that drop on my fingers and a few more that drop into the catch bowl beneath the powder measure, and I don't like that there is such a narrow range between min and max in 9.

I've never used unique before but it comes highly recommended. I've built thousands of rounds with titegroup but I'm ready to change. :)

Peace favor your sword ( mobile)

ichthyo, histed and moona11 like this.
  2. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

It can be finicky in measuring. But I like it. I keep several pounds of it.

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Around here, it’s cheap, and in stock. I dip at the low end, and have no issues.

moona11 likes this.
  4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Low is so very very close to high. In 9mm 115gr SPR GDHP, the min is 4.5 and max is 4.8, a 3 tenths of a grain spread. For 115gr hard cast, it's 3.9 to 4.3, a 4 tenths spread.

I chose it for my first pistol powder, and have stuck with it for years now, because it was a tad less expensive and had lower weight charges (which means that I could build more rounds for my dollar investment). It was perfect for my cheapskate gene. But what I didn't really understand was how much more difficult I was making it on myself by forcing myself to use smaller charge weights with minimal spreads.

It's a very economical powder but also less forgiving than other powders.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It is certainly economical and friendly to to the wallet of the penny-pincher.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. Shortround

Shortround Member

Florida
    I use a lot of tight group and CFE pistol as they are what’s available. Prefer the CFE a little more. Honestly though I am a fan of Alliant powders just can’t get ahold of any where I am at. Not that there is anything wrong with Hodgdon. I have used a ton of it.

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Hodgdon seems to have the most extensive free online load data of any of the manufacturers. I can find load data for almost any bullet, or a close relative of the bullet, on Hodgdon's site. When I went to Aliant to find load data for 9mm 115gr. FMJ and Unique, well, the cupboard is bare. Same for 115gr LRN and Unique. 130gr. HC? Ha! Good luck with that!

Fortunately, I have (somewhat older) manuals from Lee, Lyman, Speer, and Hornady, all of which list load data for 9mm with Unique. But with Hodgdon, it's all right there on their web page, and no wondering if the load data is out of date and therefore dangerous.

But Titegroup is still a fiddly powder. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

8. histed

histed Supporting Member

Unique can pretty much do it all. Some used to fuss about it being dirty, but that's why you clean your guns. I have at least three unopened bottles of that and two of Bullseye. Very little I can't do with those - from .25 to .44 and all points between. I think you have a 30-30 you shoot cast in? Unique make great reduced loads for that and can turn a .243 into a .22 mag. Extremely useful powder. The new formula is supposed to be cleaner, but I won't preach that for gospel.

lklawson likes this.
  9. Shortround

Shortround Member

Florida
    So true on the online load data Hodgdon’s is way better than Alliant’s.

10. Shortround

Shortround Member

Florida
    I started out reloading in the early 80’s using unique and bullseye, herco. So probably why I am such a fan. Now I have to drive a couple hours to even see a bottle of alliant powder. Academy only carries CFE and Tightgroup.

lklawson likes this.