Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly ignorant of Airsoft, but have seen some Youtube videos where the manual of arms of an Airsoft looked pretty close to the real thing. Could anyone recommend a model that has similar handling characteristics (i.e. you need to load the magazine, rack the slide, and if applicable manipulate the safety to operate) that might be useful for teaching the very basics of handling to someone who's never shot before? Is this even advisable?

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Pretty much all airsoft hand guns have similar features that real firearms utilize. I have a couple, one resembles a Walther P99 and has a mag, mag release, safety, slide release, and even a chambered round indicator. Its pretty much like the real thing.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
I'm fairly ignorant of Airsoft, but have seen some Youtube videos where the manual of arms of an Airsoft looked pretty close to the real thing. Could anyone recommend a model that has similar handling characteristics (i.e. you need to load the magazine, rack the slide, and if applicable manipulate the safety to operate) that might be useful for teaching the very basics of handling to someone who's never shot before? Is this even advisable?
Pretty much any spring airsoft pistol will do that. Since the goal is to NOT fire, a spring pistol will be effectively the same as a real gun for training purposes. Just pick up some of the $10 spring pistols at Wal-Mart and you'll do fine. Also, they make licensed replicas of certain guns, and a spring of one of those will cost about $20. If you want to learn the 92fs controls, go get an M9 replica. Ditto with a 1911 or something.

If you're teaching kids, it might be a good idea to get the clear plastic ones, too. That way, you have a mental division between "training" and "real." It seems to me that in training, there's a lot of "Whatever you do, don't do THIS!" and it seems to me that it'd be best to draw a sharp line between training and reality. Adults would be able to do just fine with it, but... Anyone under say 16 might do better training on a gun that looks fake, but functions like a real one.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
I don't particularly see the advantage of an electronic or gas airsoft myself. I mean yeah you can shoot without resetting the action manually, but there's no recoil so if you can do double taps with an airsoft gun there's a good chance you won't be able to do it with a real one.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
I don't particularly see the advantage of an electronic or gas airsoft myself. I mean yeah you can shoot without resetting the action manually, but there's no recoil so if you can do double taps with an airsoft gun there's a good chance you won't be able to do it with a real one.

Just my opinion.
point... I had never thought of that. Unless you get a blowback ( still minimal in recoil) you're right.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some good points I hadn't thought of. I'll need to pull out the old spring HK USP clone I've got lying around and see how appropriate it is. It's been so long, I can't even remember how it loads!

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Aside from mag capacity and weight, it should be pretty much the same. I do have an old M9 where that little safety thing on the back of the slide doesn't move, and often little levers and stuff are just cosmetic on Airsoft guns... You'd have to look at that if you want to get into controls for specific guns. For general gun safety though, you're golden.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I picked me up an airsoft gun this week to practice inside the house .. I have found it a great tool for training purposes in close quarters around furnature and blind corners .. There were areas of the house that I found difficult to acquire my target that really made me glad I bought it .. There is no better way to train for an intruder safely in my mind .. Recommend that everyone pick one up for just that purpose ..

·
Registered
253 Posts
An airsoft pistol is great for teaching beginners all the way through advanced firearms handling.

I like the use of airsoft handguns when teaching CQ pistol fighting. You have the class don protective gear, then you go through the drills while using a higher-end airsoft handgun is a realistic training aid (I say higher end because higher end airsofts are closer to the real thing in feel, and operation).

The key is to treat the airsoft gun as a real gun when training with it. If you get complacent in training, you get complacent during the real thing.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
They make Clone C02 pellet pistols that are the same size and weight as the actual gun. Unlike the spring airsoft they have more realistic blowback and sound. They come with a working safety, DA/SA trigger and an ejectable mag. You pull the slide back to load or use DA.
Train someone with one of these and you will see how much easier switching to the real thing is.
Really teaches the basics. Just have to be very careful and supervised when using compared to the cheaper airsoft guns. It shoots metal pellets not plastic BB's.

http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/show.pl?cmd_category=show&category_id=42

Check out the walther and beretta

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.