Using vinegar for patina finish on JCP slide

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Browning 9 Guy, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

This probably sounds crazy, but I polished the sides of my JCP slide, upper and middle, to bright mirror silver. Then used a cloth damp with vinegar to darken the uppers. They're now a light light flat grey that contrasts with the bright mirror Zamak. Sorry I don't have a camera. Is this strange and has anyone ever tried it?

2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Considering that vinegar is an acid, nope, not strange at all.

3. talon

talon the banned wagon

Vinegar when warmed up will also strip bluing.

The problem is, if you just leave it on the metal, it will cause pitting. Not really something you want on your slide.

4. Browning 9 Guy

Thats interesting. My dad's old 16 gauge Nitro Hunter is due for rebluing so I may try vinegar to strip the old. Thanks for sharing that information.

BTW it's raining here. Don't know why but I love cloudy rainy nights.

5. talon

talon the banned wagon

Before and after using a warm vinegar bath and an old toothbrush.....

Attached Files:

6. Browning 9 Guy

That's super! Thanks for sharing. How did you do the gold finish and letter fill? Also did you immerse the slide in vinegar and for how long?

7. talon

talon the banned wagon

You need to do short soaks. Do NOT boil the vinegar, but heat it til its too hot to hold your hand in. Do 15-20 minute soaks, and the bluing will start turning a brown color. Remove and wipe with an old towel. Repeat as needed. Use toothbrush to get into grooves and small areas. Immediately wash with warm water and dish soap to nuetralize vinegar.

The gold is painted on.

8. Browning 9 Guy

OK thanks! I'm thinking of my Nitro Hunter's barrel and how to soak. Maybe the bathtub (with several bottles of vinegar.) This method would also be terrific for shorter barreled rifles.

9. Browning 9 Guy

Talon, I apologize for the multiple questions, but what type of gold paint did you use? (I'm thinking of gold-detailing my JCP and Savage Axis 223)

10. thundercroozer

thundercroozer Supporting Member

Maybe a 3' or 4' section of 2 or 3" sch40 pvc with a glued on end cap,, should hold less than a gallon..

11. talon

talon the banned wagon

I honestly don't know what brand it is, its in an unmarked bottle, ( label had come off somewhere in time ) but its just a gold flake oil based paint. Local craft store should have something useable.

12. Browning 9 Guy

That idea is terrific. And here I was going full the bathtub part way full with vinegar. Not terrific.

13. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Or just get blueing remover and it comes right off.

14. mr_flintstone

mr_flintstone Supporting Member

Why use something for what it was designed. That takes all the fun out of it.

15. talon

talon the banned wagon

A gallon of vinegar costs 2 bucks? And you'll still have enough when your done to make salad dressing for the rest of your life.

16. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Your right what was I thinking. :-D