UV purification in a hydration pouch?

Discussion in 'Survival Zone' started by Branth, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Branth

Branth Member

Doesn anyone know if there are UV purification systems that can work with a hydration pouch? They all seem to be designed around the "stick it in the cap of the water bottle" approach.

I have the Sawyer 3-way inline microfilter, but I'd like to add the UV as an optional second step to get rid of viruses, which is about the only thing the Sawyer can't handle.

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    No. Most of them can't handle more than 1 liter reliably, and there's issues with the tube hiding water from the pen.

But...sterilize in a bottle, or cup, dump into the bladder. Easy peasy.

3. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

IMHO, that's a dang good strategy there.

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I'm still struggling with why people would go to these extra expense and equipment when you could, instead, use a small eye-dropper style bottle with bleach. 6-10 drops per gallon. A standard water bottle full of simple household bleach will sanitize a couple of 50 gallon drums of water!

I just don't get it. Why buy expensive equipment that's vastly more bulky (in comparison)? Bleach is cheap, easy to get, effective, and highly portable. If any one still used those old iodine bottles with the dropper, they were about the size of a spool of thread and (once the iodine was used up) takes up almost no space in a go-bag.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. Branth

Branth Member

My two gripes are that bleach leaves a taste and that it's not shelf-stable - Bleach degrades about 20% per year, and I don't really trust myself to keep my BOB water purification current. I don't use bleach around the house, either. If I had a UV purifier ($40 or so) it would last pretty much forever and only need AA batteries, which are good for upwards of 10 years and I already stock in my bag for my GPS and flashlight.

I might end up doing that anyway, though.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Fair enough. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk