Value of a Maverick 88?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Rachgier, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Well it's time to sell the pit puppies and we put a couple of ads up listing them for $300 for males and $350 for females. Papers, shots, weaned, and will be house trained by the time they are ready to go in 3 weeks.

I got a call from a guy today who offered me a 3 year old Mossy Mav 88 for a male puppy. I asked him which of the 4 models he had, and what else was coming with it, otherwise he needed to come up with $50 to make it a fair trade.

He actually got pissed off at me saying he paid $400 for the shotgun and it was worth more than the puppy. Called me a few names, etc. Did I under value the shotgun at $250 considering MSRP is $298 and it's 3 years old? I even accounted for NY prices being 10% higher than PA prices.

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I'd say it's not your fault he's a dumbass and payed a 100$ over msrp...

3. Rachgier

That's kind of where I landed on it. Not to mention the fact that I can pick them up off trader pages on FB for under $200 all day long AND they are willing to give up all the details about the firearm before you even talk numbers.

4. rickm

rickm Member

I bought a used one from my local gunshop a couple of years ago and gave him $200 for it just to help him since he had just opened the business and he was happy to get that.

5. $150-$200 used all day long around here. I actually bought a brand new Maverick 88 for $199.99 a few months ago on sale.

6. Kiln

Kiln Member

I bought mine for $189. The shorter home defense model runs about $250 max.

I'd say the guy is a moron.

7. TeaSipper

TeaSipper Member

I bought an 88 Maverick Special Purpose (18 1/2" 12 gauge) at Academy for $180 new a few months ago.

That guy is full of baloney, he didn't pay $400 for his, he's jerking your chain.

8. Just looked at GB and there are 88's listed as high as $500 so I believe him.

On the other hand the highest bid was $100 so yeah, I believe he's an idiot.

9. TeaSipper

TeaSipper Member

I guess there's still suckers around, probably never touched a computer otherwise they can look up the market on it.

10. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I can go to Academy and get the top of the line one for 199 and the extra 18 inch barrel for 119. So the guy is an idiot.

11. cktvt

cktvt Member

Tell him anyone willing to pay $400 for a Mav 88 ought to be willing to pay $450 for a puppy.

12. Rachgier

LOL

No kidding...

He texted me back to tell me he traded the mav for another pitbull listed for $100 less than what I was asking so I fired back with, "At least now it's a fair trade."

13. I had a maverick a few years ago. I paid no more than $225 for it. He is smoking something.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

14. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

According to the 2011 Standard Catalog of FIREARMS:

Model 88

NIB $250; Exc $150; V.G. $125; Good $100; Fair $75; Poor $50

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    What an ass hat.:rolleyes: So he traded his gun at closer to it's actual value for a lower priced dog. Duh. And he's trying to give you grief over it? I've not seen many, or any, papered dogs that cheap, unless the seller was desperate or not quite right.

16. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Good thing is, your pup didn't go to a jackwagon!

17. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

^^^ +1,000 THIS! ^^^

#1 "The guy" paid double for a shotgun (not too smart, or thinks you aren't)
    #2 "The guy" gets pi$$y with you for asking basic questions
    #3 "The guy" starts name calling, etc.
    #4 "The guy" texts you back like "neener-neener, I got a better deal"

He prolly wants the dog for fighting or making a mean guard dog.
    They do not have to be "mean" to make a great protector. Just Sayin'...

I'm glad that set off your BS detector, Rach. "The guy" is a moron!
    You are a good pappaw to this litter ;)

18. Rachgier

Well all of the pups are gone to good homes now. All new parents were referenced, vet checked, and got a home visit, with the exception of a pair of sisters who drove all the way here from Vermont to pick up two of the puppies. We got a video tour of their two homes and I was subjected to meeting their mother. The lady was so excited for her daughters to have the pups she that jumped in the car and rode all the way down here with them.

19. TeaSipper

TeaSipper Member

It's all good now. :)

Did you neener neener back at the guy and tell him all your pups has gone to better people? :D

20. Rachgier

I forgot to mention that I ended up buying a Mossy 835 Ulti Camo Turkey for $325 with puppy money, AND get to introduce everyone to my new buddy.

Say hello to Little Man. He was the 3rd puppy born and is/was the runt. 7 weeks and 1 day and the pictures are from just now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]