Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I currently have a hp .40, now the question I ask myself (when the new stocks come out of course) do I buy a 9mm for cheap shooting and ammo commonality/variation? or Do I get a .40 so I can share mags/consistency?

In a SHTF scenario it would seem like both would have their pros and cons...

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I like the idea of having a 9mm because ammo is more readily available, which may be a boon if the SHTF.

Being able to share ammo and mags is a big benefit, though...

I can't decide. That is why I got a JCP and a C9, as well as the 995, and I may well get a 4095 when the new stock becomes available. :p

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I have 4 plans for SHTF, .22lr (which should remain readily available), 9mm (which will be readily available), 12ga (should be readily available) and 7.62x39 until I can acquire some .223 along with it's appropriate weapon. If friendly's are not near, combatants will probably be carrying 7.62x39, if not, what ever they are carrying will do.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, I think it's important to have at least one gun that ISN'T the most common caliber of it's gun-type, because wont that stuff go/be used the fastest? On the one hand it might be easier to find but on the other hand it's going to be the stuff places run out of first no?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
well, I think it's important to have at least one gun that ISN'T the most common caliber of it's gun-type, because wont that stuff go/be used the fastest? On the one hand it might be easier to find but on the other hand it's going to be the stuff places run out of first no?
That may be partly true, but take the current situation: in my locale, I can still find 9mm, but .380 has been impossible to find for weeks now, .40 S&W is hard to come by, as is .45 ACP. I do not remember the last time I saw .38 Special rounds for sale. Of course, this is an atypical situation that we are in currently, but I have to wonder if it is a preview of what would happen come SHTF.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That may be partly true, but take the current situation: in my locale, I can still find 9mm, but .380 has been impossible to find for weeks now, .40 S&W is hard to come by, as is .45 ACP. I do not remember the last time I saw .38 Special rounds for sale. Of course, this is an atypical situation that we are in currently, but I have to wonder if it is a preview of what would happen come SHTF.
fair enough, but I can say in my area, 9mm and .45 are all but non-existent :)

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have been cutting downmy ammot types-- I recently ditched .32acp, .25acp-- cut down my .380 by trading my Bersa (did keep my .380 ammo and my CF380), and sold my Rohm RG 10 and my NAA22s (kept the ammo though as it will shoot in my Crickett. My new carry is a 9mm, my wife's is a 9mm, and my 995 is a 9mm (of course). Easier on us to keep a few types only. Since then I have bought and keep around 2k 9mm and I rotate the stock. Rifle wise I am keeping my Mosins and my AK, I keep 12 ga and I do have still around 100 rounds of .410 #4 and 00 for my Super Comanche-- My only other ammo I keep is .45ACP for my XD45, .22lr (to cheap and utilitarian to get rid of), and I do have about 800 + of .32SW Long that I shoot in my Nagants--

I did break down when I bought my EAA Windicator and since have bought a couple hundred rounds of Semi-Jacketed Flat tip (?) and a couple hundred SJHP .38 special for it. Not sure if I will get .357 for it, but .38spl is widespread enough to justify it. Plus the new Academy by the house is stocked in everything except .380--

What gives with the .380 shortage?!?!

:brow:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.