Very bummed...favorite FFL closes doors...

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by NRAJOE, May 31, 2008.

1. I go to "Toledo Trap & Skeet" in Berkey Ohio to their little 2 gun range.
    This is the place where I got some killer deals...hadn't been there in a couple months.
    Pulled up there today with my CZ82 and my Ruger MkI to punch some paper.
    I get there early and there is only one car in the parking lot...I go up to try the door and see if its unlocked...there is a sign in the door saying "No public shooting".
    I figured well he must of gone private...no big deal, I'll join.
    15 minutes later he come puttering up in one of his Model A Fords...I say hey Jim, whats up?
    He tells me "Sorry I've closed the range AND the store"...felt like someone punched me in the gut!

Said he'd been losing money for awhile and he can't do it anymore!
    He'd have companies say they are gonna have a trap league there....He'd say sure...c'mon over.
    He'd open up....get the heat or air going...get all his employees in...then no one would show!
    Or he'd get the internet experts in and they'd say "Well I saw this and that on the web cheaper or for what it costs wholesale, you're asking too much"
    Or guys come in "Well Cabela's...Dick's...Gander Mountain is asking such and such"
    He said he finally couldn't take it anymore and started telling people "Well,go to those places then!"

He just can't keep up with the mega places anymore and now we have a Bass Pro Shop opening soon in the area on top of all the other places mentioned.

He let me in and let me go through what was left, but there wasn't much I was interested in...he did sell me a 1,000 rd case of S&B 9X18 for $150.

He said some guys MIGHT buy the place and make it private but probably won't keep the pistol range (It was an add on container type with venting and air/heat) that will probably be sold seperate but not sure.

Jim used to do transfers for $20 dollars...the next closest small place charges $40.
    I can go shoot there but I don't like the place...all there firearms are high and they act like their doing you a big favor even talking to you and hire snotty nose kids that act like they know it all...but I'll probably have to go ther now for indoor pistol shooting.

Jim gave me his cell# and said until the place is sold he'll probably be around on Sundays from 2pm-5pm and he'd let me use the range when he's there....

So freaking sad....:(

2. base871

base871 Guest

its sad to see the small mom and pop shops going out. i remember as a kid seeing guns at the local drug store. i dont even see them in walmart anymore. gas stations had ammo... the wholesale places are good 4 bulk, but its hard to find a small shop that u can still just get a box at.. man, times are a changin. brings to mind a sign thats still hanging in down town Chandler...***** liquer and guns!

3. Was a great little place...nice drive into the country not too far away...he'd have milsurps in there...cheaper C&R stuff...I bought Mosins...Makarovs...CZ52's...Tokarevs...my C9 Hi-Point...my Ruger MkI from him among other things...

The other place just wants to sell you $1,200 Kimbers and such...no great deals on milsurps (they do get some in but want toooo much)

Act like all their stuff is made of gold....

Yup...I remember buying guns at Woolworths...Ace hardware...The Andersons...etc...all dissapeared...

4. I know what you mean. I live 3 blocks for a place that give gun snobs a bad name. THe store range I like kind of got raided buy the local drug cop and the beuro of fun (atf). Turns out the gut was dealing meth and shrooms FORM THE STORE/RANGE!!

I so glad I didn't put $$ down on the KT PLR22 and 9. But I still can,t bring myself to go to the local range because about 8 secinds after you talk to an employee at the shop or range you start to wonder if you could punch a guy into the next week

5. Sorry to hear that NRAJoe, time to find a strip mine or similar out in the boonies and shoot there. No a/c, but its shooting.

6. There is a little shop out in Greytown that is in a converted barn....even farther to drive but out that way is a great watering hole that serves dark beer and great pizzas!

The guy has a fulltime job as a tool & die maker so he doesn't always open at the times listed but he tries!

He has a decent 5 bay indoor range there....

Thats where a Russian Tok with no safety/no import marks sat for a whole year before I talked him down to $300 otd...kept it for awhile then sold it for $600

Guys kinda grumpy but he serves the public so I can see why sometimes...I do too

I'll have to head out that way more often....

I also belong to a Sportsmans club but mostly set up for rifles...
    100 yd range
    250 yd range
    500 yd range
    and a cowboy town set up...I can always get a target frame set up and go there...but I really liked the old place.

7. Remember: if you don't support your local gun store, you won't have a local gun store.

I buy my ammo at my local range... I could head to wal-mart and save $3 a box or so, but I figure I'll give the people who need it the business.