Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started loading .45 ACP a few months ago. I initially had some problems getting the gun to cycle properly. Finally got that straightened out and have now fired right at 1,000 rounds through it with zero problems.

Yesterday I loaded my very first 9mm reloads. I was somewhat apprehensive that I would have a repeat of the "45 woes", but not so. This first batch of test rounds (8 of them) shot very well, with no issues at all. I've just now loaded up 100 of these to shoot tomorrow. For what it's worth, these are 125 grain LRN bullets powered by X.X grains of HS-6.

Ya gotta love it when things run smoothly! :D

Amistad

"edited by rimfirehunter to remove powder charge weight"

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
One thing I noticed about my 9mm LRN reloads is that some powders produce more smoke than others do. I took a hard look into this and turns out that the smokey loads were those using very fast burning powders like TiteGroup, HP-38 etc etc. I backed off on the charges a bit and the smoke issue disappeared.

What was happening is the 9mm is a very high pressure load from the get go, then the fast burning powders were increasing the pressures (still in the safe zone) causing the lube and some lead to be burn, thus producing the smokey loads.

Soo... if your HS6 loads seem to produce smokey loads try backing off the charges a bit and see how they run. By all means keep within the published min/max book loads when expiermenting with your reloads.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got back from the range, where I tested some more 9mm reloads. I did a little tweaking on the HS-6 loads, and also built some rounds using Unique. No misfires, misfeeds, or any other malevolent misfortunes. :D I think the key to my success was in seating these 125 LRN a tad deeper, at 1.125 inches.

Some of the time, I fired bursts as fast as I could pull the trigger, and it didn't miss a lick! I can still hardly believe that this little cheap C9 has rapidly become one of my favorite guns. Hi-Point, you rock! Thank you!

Sorry, I didn't mean to say "cheap" in the above. I meant to say "more affordable", "less expensive", and "more cost effective!" :wink:

Amistad
'powered up, pumped up, and thrilled in Texas!'

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
My C9 is my favorite take to the range pistol these days, course my .44 revolvers still hold top spot and with reloading I can afford to shoot the 9mm and the .44's a good bit more than when I was buying factory loads.

Keep playing with the loads, seating depts and different powder charges and you will find the sweet spot for each combo in the caliber you are working with.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Amistad;
Iam interested also in using HS-6 powder. The main thing I was wondering is how did it meter out? Does it meter better than flake powder?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Amistad;
Iam interested also in using HS-6 powder. The main thing I was wondering is how did it meter out? Does it meter better than flake powder?
It meters very well. Once I make the final adjustment to my powder thrower and get it set for the load that I'm building, I use my scale to verify the charge weight on every fifth round afterwards. I'm really happy with HS-6. (Which is good, for I have a lot of it that I acquired in a trade...) :)

Amistad

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I pretty much stick with unique... Here is a video on what I did to help me reloads
Good work on the video, Ari! That makes it really easy to see what needs to happen in order to achieve a high level of consistency...

Amistad

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Someone who noticed me collecting my .45 acp rounds at the range commented to me that starting @ minimum loads and working up causes problems cycling rounds for him. That its best to start @ medium loads because the weapon needs to be able to cycle the next round. I would think that in a properly functioning handgun of any caliber, you shoud be able to start @ min loads and then work up.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
starting at min loads is SOP for reloading. i have a SIG P6 and it cycles just fine with mild loads that barely bounce the slide on my glock. unless you have a heavy recoil spring you installed start at minimum and see what happens.

SW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This guy must have had problems with his wep I think.

I fired my 1st .45acp reload today and realized I probably didn't get the crimp set tight enough. (problems cycling rounds) I was gonna make a whole post but I think something is wrong with the site. Havent been able to post a new topic for about a day now.

I'm beging to get the jitters...its ok...just breath.

·
Registered
268 Posts
When I first started reloading for my 38 special, I had trouble with some rounds not wanting to go into the chambers at all. I was using tumble lube bullets which I didn't resize, going by Lee's recommendation. Some bullets have actually turned out oversized, running .360-.361". These would keep the rounds from going into the chambers. Once I started using the Lee Factory Crimp Die, every round run through that die would drop right into the cylinder on the gun without any hangups. Now, even with the tumble lube bullets, I resize ALL of my cast bullets, and use the factory crimp die too.

I don't think this post ended up in the right place... :roll:

wizard93

1 - 13 of 13 Posts