Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well about 7 months ago guys I received a DUI which I am embarrassed for and Im sure someone is gonna JUMP all over me for drinking and driving. I fully understand the risks and realize it was stupid but I am human, and I made a MISTAKE. I have learned my LESSON and wish I could take it back everyday. I had no problems driving or handling the vehicle, I was pulled b/c I was speeding and he said an odor of alcohol was on me. I passed all the sobriety tests, but didnt pass the breathalizer. Well either way Im a little SAD/UPSET, b.c. I just looked on another site and it says you cant get your CCW if you have been convicted of DUI or DWI in the last three years. Now on that same site I could not find any info stating you cant get your handgun permit though, it says you just cant have been convicted of assault charges or felonies of the such. So Im sorry for the long post but I wanted to fully explain the situation, and hopefully you can at least get a handgun permit with a DUI on your record. HELP PLEASE...

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Hmm... not looking good. The way I understand it, its on there because its about responsibility. If you can't be trusted to stay away from a vehicle after having some alcohol, you can't be trusted to not carry a firearm after you've had some alcohol. It sucks, and I'm sorry to hear it, but I don't think you'll be able to get much help. Best thing I can advise you to do is go take some alcohol awareness courses, attend AA meetings and pass the program, and then see if you can have a lawyer file a motion to have the DUI expunged from your record as you've demonstrated remorse, paid restitution, and taken corrective measure. Hope this helps, and good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm... not looking good. The way I understand it, its on there because its about responsibility. If you can't be trusted to stay away from a vehicle after having some alcohol, you can't be trusted to not carry a firearm after you've had some alcohol. It sucks, and I'm sorry to hear it, but I don't think you'll be able to get much help. Best thing I can advise you to do is go take some alcohol awareness courses, attend AA meetings and pass the program, and then see if you can have a lawyer file a motion to have the DUI expunged from your record as you've demonstrated remorse, paid restitution, and taken corrective measure. Hope this helps, and good luck.
Are you referring to the handgun permit or the CCW. I am fully aware that the CCW is outta the question for right now, but I didnt see anything saying a permit was a "no go". Either way i start a AA class on the 16th of this month and have done community service and have already paid fines.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured that u were talking about the CCW 4095....Rimfirehunter posted up some very good information for me on another post. I guess the real answer is just to go see. I will fill out the application and hand them the $5. I also saw that if refused you can appeal, dont know about that whole process though. But I appreciate everyone's answers and responses and will be sure to let you know what happens with the Permit. But as far as the CCW....I just have to "suck it up" and wait a three more years. Its a part of my punishment, and Im willing to accept it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Only your local gun permits office can answer that. Give them a call too get the right info and proceed accordingly.
not to hijack this thread but i couldn't help this one...i love your avatar! :lol:

·
Registered
514 Posts
i'm confused. a handgun permit vs. a CCW? does NC make you get a gun permit just to own a handgun? sorry if someone already covered this and i missed it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'm confused. a handgun permit vs. a CCW? does NC make you get a gun permit just to own a handgun? sorry if someone already covered this and i missed it.
Yep for every handgun you want to purchase in NC you have to have a gun permit. $5 and about a week's wait, from what I have been told.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
In NC, if you have a CCW, then you do not need to get a permit for each handgun from then on. Otherwise 5 bucks a pop per handgun permit.

·
Banned
4,094 Posts
NAW Just move the border of South Carolina north a bit..... say to Virginia :lol:

Here in South Cakolaki no permit to buy, easy CCW, nice gun laws. Used to be a law you could only buy 1 gun per month but that has been dropped. And they have very good self defence laws here.

Whadda ya other South Carolinians think chime in here

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gotta question....if I went to SC to buy the handgun and still lived here in NC as long as I obeyed all NC laws could I get in trouble for anything. Like here in NC to have it in the car I believe you have to have it in the trunk and it has to be unloaded or it cant be concealed at all in the car. But i just wanna know would I get in trouble for having a handgun in NC that I bought in SC. I am not trying to sound stupid but I have had enough of dealing with the law so I wanna abide by it....;)

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
If I am not mistaken, you cannot legally buy a handgun in a state other than the one you live in. Even face to face personal sales.

It would have to be bought by a ffl in your state, sent to that ffl, and then transfered to you.

Long arms can be bought in any state bordering your state legallyas long as it is legal to own the weapon in your state.

That is the way that the BATF person explained it to me on the phone.

·
Banned
4,094 Posts
gotta question....if I went to SC to buy the handgun and still lived here in NC as long as I obeyed all NC laws could I get in trouble for anything. Like here in NC to have it in the car I believe you have to have it in the trunk and it has to be unloaded or it cant be concealed at all in the car. But i just wanna know would I get in trouble for having a handgun in NC that I bought in SC. I am not trying to sound stupid but I have had enough of dealing with the law so I wanna abide by it....;)
Only if you ship it to an FFL in NC. BUT you still need a NC permit at the FFL in NC to pick it up I believe

·
Banned
2,485 Posts
you're still gonna need the permit from your local sheriff to pick up a handgun in nc no matter where you buy it from, and also, you can have a handgun loaded with one in the chamber in your car as long as it is plain view such as the dash or laying on the front seat or in the trunk

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
It would be nice to be able to have a loaded gun in the car, in Okla you can have it, but it has to be unloaded and the ammo in a different part of the car, preferably locked up :(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts