Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well about 7 months ago guys I received a DUI which I am embarrassed for and Im sure someone is gonna JUMP all over me for drinking and driving. I fully understand the risks and realize it was stupid but I am human, and I made a MISTAKE. I have learned my LESSON and wish I could take it back everyday. I had no problems driving or handling the vehicle, I was pulled b/c I was speeding and he said an odor of alcohol was on me. I passed all the sobriety tests, but didnt pass the breathalizer. Well either way Im a little SAD/UPSET, b.c. I just looked on another site and it says you cant get your CCW if you have been convicted of DUI or DWI in the last three years. Now on that same site I could not find any info stating you cant get your handgun permit though, it says you just cant have been convicted of assault charges or felonies of the such. So Im sorry for the long post but I wanted to fully explain the situation, and hopefully you can at least get a handgun permit with a DUI on your record. HELP PLEASE...

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Were you convicted of anything? Was it a felony?

Not gonna pass judgment, since you hopefully have learned your lesson.

If its only 3 years, honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it and just wait the 3 years unless you are allowed to get one with only a DUI on your record.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No offense, but if it took getting caught driving drunk before you realized that it was stupid, maybe you should wait a few years before getting a handgun, until you're a little more mature.

Firearm 'mistakes' are hard 'lessons' to learn...

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
No offense, but if it took getting caught driving drunk before you realized that it was stupid, maybe you should wait a few years before getting a handgun, until you're a little more mature.

Firearm 'mistakes' are hard 'lessons' to learn...
That is so cold Ijit, but it is the truth. +1

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
that's where the saying "the cold, hard truth" comes from. Just please learn from your mistakes...

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm sorry but you shouldn't ever be allowed to carry a firearm or be able to drive a car you should have known that drinking and driving was stupid but you did it anyway. That in my book is a very serious and unforgivable. Its people like you that say " well I don't feel drunk so I'm cool to drive" then you hit people like me walking across the street minding my own business. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Edited by GlockMan
I understand this is a emotional subject but please remember the Code of Conduct as mis-spelling profanity to get it by the word filters is not allowed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im sorry but you shouldn't ever be allowed to carry a firearm or be able to drive a car you should have known that drinking and driving was stupid but you did it anyway. That in my book is a very serious and unforgivable idiotic [email protected]#$% up. Its people like you that say " well I dont feel drunk so im cool to drive" then you hit people like me walking across the [email protected]#$%ing street minding my own business. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Driving drunk is A STUPID MISTAKE....and everything you guys have said is correct, but I dont think someone should be judged the rest of their life for a mistake that they have made in the past. YES I drove drunk, NO I didnt wreck, and NO I didn't hit anyone, and its by the GRACE of GOD that I did not encounter any of what I just named. You are definitely entitled to your opinion, but I know people who have done alot worse than drive DRUNK and they do CHANGE....people change so Im sorry that you feel the way you do. Thank you for all of your responses............

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont know where you are from but you have to check the law books in your state. In KY Im pretty sure any DUIs mean no CCW.
Thanks but I think you guys are missing what im saying....the CCW is out the window....I already researched that, it says as plain as day that if you have been convicted you have to wait three years to get a CCW, but I am referring to just the handgun permit. I researched that and it speaks nothing of DUI's or such. It speaks about assault charges and felonies. A first time DUI is a misdemeanor, thats what I was asking. Can you acquire just the handgun permit ($5) not the CCW. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Contact your local Sheriff's Office because in NC the county Sheriff is responsible for issuing NC Handgun Purchase Permits. Below is from your state laws concerning the issuance of NC Handgun Purchase Permits.....

http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

A county sheriff is only authorized under N.C.G.S. § 14-402 to issue a
permit to receive or purchase a handgun or crossbow when an application is
submitted by a person who is a resident of his or her particular county. The sole
exception is that the sheriff may issue a permit to a non-resident when the
purpose of the permit is for collecting. Prior to issuing a permit, the sheriff must
fully satisfy himself/herself by affidavits, oral evidence, or otherwise, that the
applicant is of good moral character and that the person, firm, or corporation
wants to possess the weapon for one of the following purposes:
a.
The protection of the applicant’s home, business, person, family, or
property; or
b.
Target shooting; or
Page 10
c.
Collection; or
d.
Hunting.
Additionally, the sheriff must verify by a criminal history background
investigation that it is not a violation of state or federal law for the applicant to
purchase, transfer, receive or possess a handgun. The sheriff shall determine the
criminal history of any applicant by accessing computerized criminal history
records as maintained by the State and Federal Bureaus of Investigation, by
conducting a national criminal history records check, and by conducting a
criminal history check through the Administrative Office of the Courts. N.C.
Gen. Stat. § 14-404
North Carolina law further specifies that a permit may not be issued to the
following:
a.
An applicant who is under an indictment, or information for, or has
been convicted in any state, or in any court of the United States, of a
felony (other than an offense pertaining to anti-trust violations, unfair
trade practices, or restraints of trade). However, a person who has been
convicted of a felony and is later pardoned may obtain a permit, if the
purchase or receipt of the pistol or crossbow does not violate the
conditions of the pardon;
b.
The applicant is a fugitive from justice;
c.
The applicant is an unlawful user of or addicted to marijuana, any
depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug;
d.
The applicant has been adjudicated incompetent or has been
committed to any mental institution;
e.
The applicant is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States;
f.
The applicant has been discharged from the U.S. armed forces under
dishonorable conditions;
g.
The applicant, having been a citizen of the United States, has
renounced their citizenship;
h. The applicant is subject to a court order that:
Page 11
(1) was issued after a hearing of which the applicant received actual
notice, and at which the applicant had an opportunity to
participate;
(2) restrains the person from harassing, stalking or threatening an
intimate partner of the person or child of the intimate partner of
the person, or engaging in other conduct that would place an
intimate partner in reasonable fear of bodily injury to the partner
or child; and
(3) includes a finding that the person represents a credible threat to
the physical safety of the intimate partner or child; or by its terms
explicitly prohibits the use, attempted use, or threatened use of
physical force against the intimate partner or child that would
reasonably be expected to cause bodily injury.
N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-404
As previously mentioned, federal law prohibits aliens who are illegally in the United
States from receiving or possessing firearms. Additionally, subject to certain exceptions,
aliens who are in a non-immigrant status are prohibited from possessing or receiving
firearms. 18 U.S.C. § 922(d)(5) Therefore, sheriffs must make additional inquiries of
applicants for pistol purchase permits to determine their alien status. The sheriff must first
determine if the applicant is a citizen. If the applicant is not a citizen, the sheriff must
obtain additional information on the person to include their country of citizenship; place
of birth; and alien or admission number. If applicable ,the sheriff may have to determine
the basis of any claimed exemption from the non-immigrant alien prohibition. For
example, a non-immigrant alien could possess or receive a firearm if he/she is in possession
of a valid hunting license issued in the United States; is an official representative of a
foreign government accredited to the United States; or has received a waiver by the United
States Attorney General. 18 U.S.C. § 922(y)
The requirement for obtaining a permit before purchasing or receiving a handgun does
not apply to law enforcement officers of North Carolina, who are authorized by law to carry
firearms. To use such an exemption, however, the law enforcement officer must identify
himself to the vendor or donor as being a law enforcement officer authorized to carry
firearms, and further state that the purpose for the weapon is directly related to his or her
official duties. Law enforcement officers need to be aware that if the purchase of the
weapon is not directly related to the law enforcement officer's official duties, they would be
required to obtain a permit prior to the receipt of the weapon. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-404(d)
Page 12
Each applicant for a license or permit should be informed by the sheriff within thirty
(30) days of the date of his or her application whether the permit will be granted or denied.
When a sheriff is not fully satisfied with the applicant's good moral character or eligibility
to receive a permit, he/she should notify the applicant of the reasons for his or her refusal
to issue a permit within seven (7) days of his or her decision. An applicant refused a permit
has a right to appeal such refusal to the Chief District Court Judge for the district in which
the application was filed. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-404
A permit issued under the standards of state law is valid for a period of five (5) years.
N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-403 A sheriff is required to keep a book, which is provided by the
Board of Commissioners of each county, of all licenses or permits issued. These records
should include the date of issuance, name, age, place of residence, and former place of
residence of each person, firm, or corporation to whom a license or permit has been issued.
N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-405
A court in any domestic violence protective order can prohibit a party from purchasing
a firearm for a time fixed in the order. Any person purchasing or attempting to purchase
any firearm in violation of such an order is guilty of a Class H Felony. N.C. Gen. Stat. §
50B-3.1

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
This is somewhat random but could you just buy a gun out of state? I know here in Alabama we don't have to have a permit or anything to get a handgun. If you go to a gun show they don't even ask for ID half the time, they just say "are you 21?" and as long as you say yes you can buy em.

Added by GlockMan
This would be illegal as his home state requires one to have a permit to buy or possess a Handgun. By buying outside the state to circumvent the permit is illegal and a felony.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
47_MasoN_47,

NC has a very LEFT COAST law concerning handguns....

In order to receive a hand gun while living in NC, as a new/used purchase or inherited from a relative/friend, you have to apply for and be issued a NC Pistol Permit. The county Sheriff has the sole responsibility for issuing these permits based on Fed/State background/criminal check and perhaps how the Sheriff is feeling that particular day about your record.

·
Registered
122 Posts
NC requires you apply for a purchase permit if you are going to buy anything in the pistol department. The previous posters are correct in stating that the SO is in charge of permit allocation. You can however apply for up to 6 permits at a time (each one costs $5), they are valid for up to five years and saves the sometimes frustrating waiting period (usually 2-3 days) that it takes to approve the permit. Easiest thing to do about finding out if you can qualify for a purchase permit is to go down to the SO and ask, tell them you would like to get a permit to purchase a pistol and tell them that you have recently been.... Better to tell them up front than to lie on the app. and have it bite you in the bumm later when they find out. You'll be blacklisted for sure.
Good Luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NC requires you apply for a purchase permit if you are going to buy anything in the pistol department. The previous posters are correct in stating that the SO is in charge of permit allocation. You can however apply for up to 6 permits at a time (each one costs $5), they are valid for up to five years and saves the sometimes frustrating waiting period (usually 2-3 days) that it takes to approve the permit. Easiest thing to do about finding out if you can qualify for a purchase permit is to go down to the SO and ask, tell them you would like to get a permit to purchase a pistol and tell them that you have recently been.... Better to tell them up front than to lie on the app. and have it bite you in the bumm later when they find out. You'll be blacklisted for sure.
Good Luck
Thanks SAMPO...thats exactly what Im going to do.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
sevendreamz, you are abosolutely correct in the fact that people can change, but buddy, you know as well as I do that it takes such an astronomical amount of will power to change a frame of mind, behavior, or addiction to the good.
I want to thank you, sevendreamz, for finding the truth, finding the better way of life, and ultimately finding your way here to the forum, If I didn't tell you before, I will tell you now, Welcome to the forum... Where your past is only what you say it is, as nobody knows your past. (Unless your dad is a moderator, :lol: ) The good thing about this forum is if you are taken for your good word, until proven otherwise. If you, as a man say that the days of a tipsy-cruising are over with, and you aren't going to do it anymore, Then I offer you a big pat on the back.

I have people close to me that have ruined their lives over the bottle, and it's glad to know you will not be a statistic. So I'll say it again; Welcome, friend...

Now for the most serious question of all: What pistol are you looking at getting?
:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
People who drive drunk have no business carrying a firearm, or driving, or breathing in my humble opinion. You jeopardized the lives of everyone around you, [edited:z71]. There is little difference between driving a car under the influence, or directing a cocked, loaded firearm at someone. There is a distinct possibility that the bystander dies.

Post edited by GlockMan and other Mod's

Directed personal attacks are prohibited, please refrain from name calling.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
People who drive drunk have no business carrying a firearm, or driving, or breathing in my humble opinion. You jeopardized the lives of everyone around you, [edit]. There is little difference between driving a car under the influence, or directing a cocked, loaded firearm at someone. There is a distinct possibility that the bystander dies.
You are definitely entitled to your opion, and I cant knock you for that. I dont understand how you can be that way, b/c if it was your son or someone related to you I think the words would be DIFFERENT. I realize what I did was WRONG, and NO EXCUSE. It takes a MAN to admit his MISTAKES and to GROW from that. What I did was WRONG, I understand that and I have CHANGED and will not be a STATISTIC so I am so SORRY that you have that OUTLOOK on me. I dont know but I think Im alot younger than some of you guys on here, im 23 yrs old and I have learned alot, so I think by coming on here and admitting what I did wrong was a major step in FINDING THE RIGHT PATH AND DOING WHAT IS RIGHT. If I had something to hide then it would have been hidden, I have addressed my problem and Im definitely ready to face it...THANK YOU....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sevendreamz, you are abosolutely correct in the fact that people can change, but buddy, you know as well as I do that it takes such an astronomical amount of will power to change a frame of mind, behavior, or addiction to the good.
I want to thank you, sevendreamz, for finding the truth, finding the better way of life, and ultimately finding your way here to the forum, If I didn't tell you before, I will tell you now, Welcome to the forum... Where your past is only what you say it is, as nobody knows your past. (Unless your dad is a moderator, :lol: ) The good thing about this forum is if you are taken for your good word, until proven otherwise. If you, as a man say that the days of a tipsy-cruising are over with, and you aren't going to do it anymore, Then I offer you a big pat on the back.

I have people close to me that have ruined their lives over the bottle, and it's glad to know you will not be a statistic. So I'll say it again; Welcome, friend...

Now for the most serious question of all: What pistol are you looking at getting?
:)
I really want to thank you Strangerous, the words meant alot more than I can say. Im really ashamed of what I did and I believed that more people would understand that by addressing my problem PUBLICALLY. And the gun Im def. going to get is the RUGER P345. I fell in LOVE with this handgun and I drooled while holding it...LOL...

1 - 20 of 59 Posts