'Vietnam era AK' this doesn't sound right

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by SWAGA, Jul 22, 2014.

1. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

http://www.armslist.com/posts/3296693/okaloosa-county-antiques-for-sale-trade--2200

[​IMG]

Doesn't sound right to me especially with that thumb hole stock.
    But I'm a complete AK noob....

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Is it me, or does the receiver look awfully new for a 40 year old gun...... Not the best pic, but the finish on it looks awfully dark and fresh.

3. RockCreek

RockCreek Member

MN
    It's a Chinese/Norinco MAK-90, built to get past the 1989 import ban of "non sporting rifles". Notice it is neutered with no bayonet lug, thumbhole stock, and no muzzle device (except the cheesy clamp-on one on the gun). Any AK encountered in Vietnam would have been full auto, and pretty tough to smuggle back to the states.

4. SWAGA

The seller may not know any better and may have bought it overpriced himself.
    Or he's a crook.......lol

5. SWO1

SWO1 Member

NO WAY....NO WAY

I picked up more than a few in Viet Nam. Even had one of my own I paid $50 for .....while in country ! Sold it for $50 when I left. You could get anything into country ...... but nothing out. REAL ones have a straight butt stock, pistol grip, cleaning rod under the barrel, and NO flash suppressor. And I NEVER saw one with a drum ...... :rolleyes:

Now I was in I-Corps up on the DMZ. Mostly Regular N. Viet army, some Chinese, and Russians. Maybe the Viet Cong had those in the south ???

If it was brought back from Viet Nam it was bought in a shop while he was visiting last 20 years or so.

6. I imagine the seller probably bought it from some lying S.O.B wearing a Vietnam Vet hat.
    clearly he dosent know what a Vietnam AK would be. so he wouldn't know if the guy lying to him.

but yeah, Bring backs aren't as common as ignorant gun "experts" seem to think they were. Not to mention they were all Full auto.
    If it was a real bring back full auto, it would be worth a lot more money. and very illegal.

7. SWO1

SWO1 Member

Here is the price chart for Russian made. Its updated June 14. Most on the market are these, Semi-Auto converted to full auto. REAL Russian or Chinese AKs from the 80s on back are RARE as hens teeth, well maybe just snake legs.

Attached Files:

8. What a load of crap...

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

9. Bamaboy

Bamaboy Member

This will be a perfect assualt rifle for all those FAKE Vets that pop up with all those medals every year.

10. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    Now be fair. After all, it's a GUNN and it's clean as a WHITLE. That ought to count for something. :rolleyes:

11. RobbK

RobbK Member

total BS ad but I guess there is a sucker born every minuet

12. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    It is a nice looking firearm and if he got if for a good price, more power to him. Obviously they guy who sold it to him was lying, maybe to get a better price. As long as the buyer is happy why should we care? There are a lot of HP owners who are put down by gun purests, so what. The important thing is the HP owner is happy.

13. It does not look right as previously mentioned.

I doubt the ChiComs were issuing rubber butt stock pads and the flash suppressor is
    totally wrong.

People embellish ads all the time.

14. Bull

Uhhh....... Because we try to help people who don't know better from being ripped off? This isn't an issue of "your gun is crap"......... More like "it's not what they say it is."....... If the guy is happy, cool...... But I'd hope if I asked, someone wouldn't take your attitude with it and let me get screwed.

15. SWAGA

It would be a'right if he would try and sell it for $500-$600 but asking $2200 for what is clearly not a Vietnam era gun is Lu-di-crous......:eek:

16. Bull

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1406589643.731695.jpg ..................