Vinegar on my slide?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by money132333, Dec 17, 2015.

1. money132333

money132333 Member

Can i take the bluing off of my jhp 45 with vinegar without it eating anything up?

2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Only thing that will happen is it will smell like a douche.

3. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Speaking of douche were is mole

4. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Heard he got stuck in the tube. :rofl:

5. Pablo

Pablo Carbine Guy aka Zippy Member

Wow. That degraded quickly.

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

No.

The slide on modern Hi Point handguns is not steel and it's not blued. The slides are made of ZAMAK, a strong zinc alloy, and they are Powder Coated, which is a process of applying a thin, durable, coating of a polymer material

It is possible to remove the Powder Coat, some people have, but it can't be accomplished with acids and certainly not such a mild acid as household vinegar.

That said, once the Powder Coating is removed, you might consider coating it with something else again. ZAMAK polishes nicely but oxidizes quickly and easily, forming a dull gray color which many find quite unattractive. Some people polish it and work hard to keep it polished. Other people coat it with some other coating such as DuraCoat. A few have had the slides nickle plated, ims.

I think the people who remove the powder coating typically use the old "elbow grease" method.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. cicpup

Vermont
    Funny thing. Once stripped of the coating, a rub of vinegar will oxidize the ZAMAK rather nicely into a decent finish. Sort of like zinc bluing.

8. ???WHY??? Forgive my ignorance, what's your reason for doing this?..

9. cicpup

Vermont
    in-di-vi-du-al-it-ty

10. Whatever..it's a free country, ( so far, anyway..)

11. Welcome to the forum!

12. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

Just for laughs, I polished my JCP's slide to a bright mirror shine, masked certain areas then swabbed with vinegar which produces a light dull grey. Looks nice for now, but air exposure dulls the polished areas.