Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New addition to my antique press collection. Needs a good cleaning and oiling, that’s about it. It is missing the primer arm, primer arm pin and primer catcher. I have the primer arm and a correct cast aluminum primer catcher. Will check my parts bin for a primer arm pin, but will probably have to call RCBS.

I am a bit confused. The RC, I thought, had the 7/8x14 threads machined into the press itself and had the light green crinkle finish. The RCII used a bushing to reduce the threads to 7/8x14 and had the darker green epoxy finish. This press has the bushing, but it also has the lighter green crinkle finish. Maybe an early RCII? I need to remove the bushing so I can see the date stamp. Maybe that will help.

As an aside, I have a ball handle off of an old Rock Chucker . I got it to put on this one and it doesn’t fit, it is much smaller. Did they make 2 Rock Chuckers? One with a bushing, one without that was bigger? I know the Rock Chucker that I used earlier in life did not have a bushing. The plot thickens…….

This press has been well taken care of and will make a nice addition to my antique reloading equipment collection!

This brings my collection to the:
  1. Lyman Spartan (x2)
  2. Lyman Spar-T
  3. Hornady / Pacific Multi Power
  4. RCBS Jr 3 (I gave the Jr 2 to a friend, both my Jr2 and Jr3 have had the RCBS Upgrade so there was in effect no difference in them)
  5. RCBS Rock Chucker (is it a 1 or 2 though?)
I still need a Lyman Orange Crusher. That will bring my collection current and will represent all the presses I used to learn on.

My "modern" presses include the Hornady Iron, Lyman All American 8, Lyman Ideal, RCBS RS5, and Lee Classic Cast Turret. Conspicuously missing are the RCBS Partner - the first press I ever bought myself. Destroyed in the great fire of ‘99. The Lee Reloader "C" style press and the Lee manual advance 3 hole turret - converted to 4 hole auto advance. I stupidly sold the Lee presses.

·
Premium Member
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Texted a friendwho is knowledgeable. This is part of the response I got.

"There was a Model B that did not have a bushing, that I believe was a little smaller than the A series. I came across information that said only 500 were made, all in 1961………they have become collectors items"

Maybe the Rock Chucker I used when learning was a “B" model?

·
Premium Member
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems like my friend was wrong. The RCBS model B was the for-runner to the Jr 2. There were 500 made, basically 1 production run, then it was replaced with the Jr 2. I understand that the model B was hand fitted and too expensive to produce. The Jr 3 fixed a problem with the Jr 2, namely the Jr 2 used a 1/2" threaded handle which was prone to break. The Jr 3 fixed that by going to a 9/16" threaded handle. I also thought the RS was a Jr 3 with compound linkage added, but the first RS ( Reloaders Special) was simply a Jr 3 with the purchasers choice of loading dies with it, making it a kit.

Enjoying my research.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Premium Member
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some more history I found.

1. The first Rock Chucker Bullet Swage press was the model A. It was a welded steel press made from 1949 to 1959.
  2. The second was the 2A. Made from 1959 to 1961. No info on it.
  3. The A2 was made from 1961 to 1969. It was made from cast steel
  4. the A3 was made from 1969 to 1971 (was this a typo? See the A4) same press as tha A2 but made of cast iron.
  5. The A4 ( Big Max) was made from 1982 to 1988. Again, no info except the years manufactured.
The write up I got this from states there were only 500 B models and they were made in 1961, but doesn’t say much else about them. I think the info I read about the B model being the fore-runner to the Jr 2 is likely correct. Basically a smaller version of the A model that turned out to be too expensive because of the hand fitting.

That brings me back to my belief that the RC was threaded directly into the press and the RC II had the bushing, and I have an early RC II before the finish was changed.

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Now you have me curious about mine. I bought mine new in say about 1968/1970. Dark Green. Has bushing. I will have to check date and S/N on it.

·
Premium Member
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now you have me curious about mine. I bought mine new in say about 1968/1970. Dark Green. Has bushing. I will have to check date and S/N on it.
This is a RC II. Not mine, a picture I found.

Reactions: histed

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Nope, not like mine at all actually. I'll have to get a pic and the data off it.

·
Premium Member
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a picture of the other side of mine. Definitely branded a RC.

Took the bushing out so I can see the date stamp. Unfortunately it’s not clear.

Now for the big question. Since it has a bushing, and I have the bushing out, do I install the Hornady Lonk-N-Load bushing. I like the Hornady bushing system and I do have a Lock-N-Load conversion bushing on my bench…….

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Greg, found two different internet pics that look closer to mine. I also have a primer catch tray. Dunno
for certain what I have, but will check SN/Model numbers and try to find the date next week.

Green Chair Wood Machine Plant
Wood Font Fashion accessory Metal Hardwood

Seems these pics are quite old. Mine has the bicycle handle bar like shown here.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Registered
6 Posts
New addition to my antique press collection. Needs a good cleaning and oiling, that’s about it. It is missing the primer arm, primer arm pin and primer catcher. I have the primer arm and a correct cast aluminum primer catcher. Will check my parts bin for a primer arm pin, but will probably have to call RCBS.

I am a bit confused. The RC, I thought, had the 7/8x14 threads machined into the press itself and had the light green crinkle finish. The RCII used a bushing to reduce the threads to 7/8x14 and had the darker green epoxy finish. This press has the bushing, but it also has the lighter green crinkle finish. Maybe an early RCII? I need to remove the bushing so I can see the date stamp. Maybe that will help.

As an aside, I have a ball handle off of an old Rock Chucker . I got it to put on this one and it doesn’t fit, it is much smaller. Did they make 2 Rock Chuckers? One with a bushing, one without that was bigger? I know the Rock Chucker that I used earlier in life did not have a bushing. The plot thickens…….

This press has been well taken care of and will make a nice addition to my antique reloading equipment collection!
View attachment 73457

This brings my collection to the:
  1. Lyman Spartan (x2)
  2. Lyman Spar-T
  3. Hornady / Pacific Multi Power
  4. RCBS Jr 3 (I gave the Jr 2 to a friend, both my Jr2 and Jr3 have had the RCBS Upgrade so there was in effect no difference in them)
  5. RCBS Rock Chucker (is it a 1 or 2 though?)
I still need a Lyman Orange Crusher. That will bring my collection current and will represent all the presses I used to learn on.

My "modern" presses include the Hornady Iron, Lyman All American 8, Lyman Ideal, RCBS RS5, and Lee Classic Cast Turret. Conspicuously missing are the RCBS Partner - the first press I ever bought myself. Destroyed in the great fire of ‘99. The Lee Reloader "C" style press and the Lee manual advance 3 hole turret - converted to 4 hole auto advance. I stupidly sold the Lee presses.
Greetings, I used to work at RCBS here in Oroville,CA and I know that there are multiple rock chuck bullet swage’s (aka reloaders) that “Pop” came out with. The main originals I can think of would be the original rock chucker, the rock chucker II, and the rock chucker jr. If my tech retardation doesn’t get in the way, I will attach a link with all the reloaders “Pops” (Fred T. Huntington) created and when he began production on them... Hope it helps!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts