Virginia to end concealed carry reciprocity with other states

Discussion in '2nd Amendment' started by tallbump, Dec 22, 2015.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/va-attorney-general-mark-herring-delivers-blow-to-gun-rights-advocates/2015/12/21/d72ce3d0-a821-11e5-9b92-dea7cd4b1a4d_story.html

RICHMOND — Attorney General Mark R. Herring (D) plans to announce Tuesday that Virginia will no longer recognize concealed carry handgun permits from 25 states that have reciprocity agreements with the commonwealth.

The move also means Virginians with a history of stalking, drug dealing or inpatient mental-health treatment cannot obtain a permit in a state with comparatively lax laws and carry a handgun legally at home.

Herring said severing the out-of-state agreements can prevent people who may be dangerous or irresponsible from carrying a concealed weapon.

“To me, this is a commonsense step that can help make Virginians and our law enforcement officers safer by ensuring that Virginia’s laws on who can and cannot carry a concealed handgun are applied evenly, consistently, and fairly,” he said in a statement provided to The Washington Post.

“Our General Assembly has already identified who can and cannot conceal handguns in Virginia, and we cannot have that decision undermined by recognizing permits from other states with more permissive standards.”

This year, Herring’s office began a review of reciprocity agreements Virginia has with 30 other states. Attorneys discovered that 25 of those states had concealed handgun permit regulations that were weaker than Virginia’s.

The State Police superintendent accepted Herring’s recommendation to sever agreements with those states, effective Feb. 1, according to Herring’s office.

The states are: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

Agreements will remain with West Virginia, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas and Utah.

2. Rerun

Rerun Member

What a bunch of stuck up prigs!

eldar

3. Wow, this really sucks. I travel through VA a lot. I actually had a VA permit when I lived there, but i believe while still in date it is no longer valid since I moved.

Im sure they don't care how many VA residents this will be effecting either.

I know of tons of VA residents that often came to PA and were happy to be able to carry.

4. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

I think this may be a good one to challenge, using the recent Supreme Court rights in favor of same sex marriage.

There were some talks about that when the decision came out, in how it shoudl also support national recipricatory.

5. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

If it has not expired, have it converted to a Non-Resident Permit. ;)
    As long as you are already permitted you will get it.

If you live in one of the States they stopped reciprocity with, and do not have a VA permit, you can still obtain a VA Non-Resident permit as long as you complete the requirements.

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

He's lying. Ohio requires a background check and prohibits issuing a license to anyone with a Domestic Violence conviction, a Restraining Order, or is otherwise prohibited under law from possessing a firearm. It is anything but "lax."

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.125
    http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/...Carry-License-and-Renewal-Application-(P.aspx
    http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/...ations/Concealed-Carry-Laws-Manual-(PDF).aspx

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. bluharley

bluharley Member

That will surely stop the criminals from carrying around those hidden guns that threaten law abiding citizens and law enforcement, way to go!

8. He's just being vindictive.

9. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/concealed-carry-reciprocity-deal-signed-virginia

Concealed Carry Reciprocity Deal Signed in Virginia
    3:00pm Monday, February 29, 2016

The National Rifle Association (NRA) commends Virginia’s leaders for reaching an agreement to secure the rights of law-abiding concealed carry permit holders. H.B. 1163 and S.B. 610 which will restore and promote concealed carry reciprocity for permit holders in the Commonwealth and around the country, were signed into law today.

“Now, more than six million law-abiding gun owners will be free to travel in and out of Virginia with their Second Amendment rights intact," said Chris W. Cox, executive director of the NRA Institute for Legislative Action. "Self-defense is a fundamental right that must be respected."

On Dec. 22, 2015, Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring decided to sever concealed carry reciprocity agreements with half the country. The change was set to take effect early in 2016. The decision nullified agreements with the following states; Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

In addition to providing concealed carry recognition for valid permits from other states, the bipartisan legislation signed today requires the Virginia State Police to enter into reciprocal agreements with other states where needed.

“Concealed carry permit holders are among the safest groups of citizens in Virginia and throughout the country. On behalf of the NRA’s more than five million members, we commend this effort to protect public safety and fundamental freedoms. Hopefully this effort will encourage Congress to pass national right to carry reciprocity legislation as soon as possible,” concluded Cox.

© 2016 National Rifle Association of America, Institute for Legislative Action. This may be reproduced. This may not be reproduced for commercial purposes.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk