WAKE UP CALL!

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by .40cal_in_Idaho, Nov 30, 2007.

1. MODS/ADMIN, PLEASE MAKE THIS A STICKY!

Went to the range today with my C9. Put 100 rounds downrange. Packed up and went home. Got home, opened up my range bag...no C9. I LEFT IT AT THE RANGE!

My first thought was, "Oh, God." I called the range, and fortunately, another, MORE RESPONSIBLE firearm owner turned it in to staff. I was VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY fortunate that they did. All I could think about was the worst that could happen. I was on the verge of tears the whole way back to the range. I still have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach as I write this.

Now I wonder: Am I really responsible enough to own, carry and operate ANY firearm? It may sound as if I am beating myself up too much over this, but this is HUGE. This could have gone very, very badly.

I do have the serial numbers of my weapons at home and on my person (USB flash drive, password protected).

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not do what I did.

2. Glad an honest person found it.

I am anal about accounting for all weapons before leaving the range to the point that it drives my friends nuts, but at our unmonitored rural range I GUARANTEE if I left a weapon, it would have a new owner unless I got back before anyone else used the range.

Dont beat yourself up too bad, but do learn from your mistake.

3. Berating yourself serves no useful purpose. Rather than kick yourself, just resolve to adopt habits that will serve you better in the future.

Make it a point to double check, then look again to make sure you've cleaned up and put away everything you should. These positive habits will serve you, and anyone with you, well in the future.

Since nobody was harmed, just look at this as an inexpensive lesson to be taken seriously and an event to never be repeated.

4. I'm trying to remain positive about this, but it is very difficult, considering what happened. It is next to impossilbe to not think of what could have happened.

For some reason I have been spared and given a second chance, which WILL NOT be wasted. It shouldn't have happened in the first place, but it did.

waltham41, nothing wrong with being anal about it. I should have been from the start.

I know that I was distracted by the guy in the next stall. Shooting an MP5 after all.

However there is no excuse for what might have become a very ugly situation.

Trying to remain positive,

Dave

5. Dude, honestly, that would scare the absolute bejesus out of me. Not because of the gun. Hell, the gun is replaceable. BUT, if that gun was taken and used in a crime and the cops recovered it and came back looking for you, that's where it gets bad.

I am glad that you had a positive end to the situation.... Keep your wits about you brother, nothing bad happened.

6. elguapo

elguapo Guest

Awareness is the key. Safety and awarenes are two immutable truths with gunownership. I am glad as well, you got it back. If you get into OCD like habits with making sure where your firearms are, then so be it.

7. It did scare the crap out of me. As you menitoned, I wasn't worried about the gun itself, but where it could have ended up. I damn near tossed my lunch when I did not find it in my range bag.

8. Sometimes things like this happen for a reason , It was a wakeup call either for you or for one of us that might be a little careless at the range . We all make mistakes in our lives , but the main thing is how we learn from them and how we change our lives .
    Spot

9. minidriver

minidriver Member

Good God .40Cal,,,,,, I hate to say it,,,, but DAMN,,,,,,,,,, that almost like leaving a kid behind. I alaways always make sure to police the booth,,, local range requires we pick up our brass. I can't even imagain forgetting a gun of mine,,, even if the guy in the next booth had a gun out of an A-10 Thunderbolt 2. Quit being a mandroid and start paying attention. Hate to be so hard on ya,,, but dude,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, good night Irene,,,,,,,,,,that is a BAD mistake.

10. hpman

hpman Guest

Couldn't you just immediately report it stolen to the police. Hypothetically speaking, whoever took the gun knew it was not theirs and if they did not turn it into the range master then they stole it. You can not just take something that does not belong to you even though it is just sitting there and nobody is watching. Don't beat yourself up. I wouldn't worry about someone taking the gun as much as I would worry about some kid coming along and picking it up and getting hurt.

Character is what you do when no one is watching.

11. vallen

vallen Member

I'm glad you recovered your weapon, but - Why would this be a sticky?

12. Mumbles

Mumbles Guest

I believe that would be called filing a false police report.

13. I'll bet you don't do that again.

14. As a reminder that we must be at all times alert when handling ANY firearm.

We are, after all, only human, and prone to error.