Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Village Amadan
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normally I'm not the Wal-Mart kind of shopper, but, when I am in there I will look at the ammo case to see what I can see. I stopped by there today to pick up the obligatory bread and milk and decided to meander back to the sporting goods department to view the empty shelves. I saw the usual 'Old Mother Hubbard's cupboard' and wheeled around to see the ever-present value packs of Winchester Universal, Remington Sport-Loads and Federal Multi-purpose load shotshells priced from 22.97 (Win & Fed) to 24.97 (Rem). Not a bad deal I suppose. I like the Federals because they seemed to burn a wee cleaner in my Winchester 1400 autoloader and the last time I bought the Winchesters half of them stuck in the chamber (bad lot according to Winchester and they did replace the ammo for me).

I decided I didn't need ammo that bad and started to reminisce of the days of old when shotshells were under $5/box except, of course, .410 bore! When I turned I nearly knocked over Jim, the SG sales associate who had just started loading the shelf behind me with Federal Game-Shok loads for a whopping $4.67/box or $18.68/100! That's $4.29 savings over the value packs and he has them in 12 and 20 gauge! after a little more math in my head I decided it was best to just go ahead and buy a case of each and be done with it since I love to hit the trap/skeet ranges!

Looks like Mac will be having fun at the range this weekend! Woo hoo!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mr Mac, on the other side of the continent (upstate NY) I was in my local Walmart today too. Sadly the cupboard here is bare as well. They had only 4 packs of 12g Feds left, I bought them (I just checked my receipt same price 22.97 ). There were about a doz Win packs and only one Rem pack left, all 12g and NO 20g anything shot in any form @ all. Not only that the .22's were all gone too except for a few assorted CCI 100 trays. A couple of weeks ago I was on the far side of town and stopped @ another Walmart store to look @ their empty shelves and happened upon 7 boxes of 40 S&W CCI Blazer Brass (12.47 for 50). As the salesperson opened the cabinet door he zapped the bar code with his inventory ray gun and said, "you'd better buy all 7 because I don't have any more scheduled to come in." Curious I asked if he could check on the WWB 38 SPL + P's. He came up with a delivery in two to three days for 2 cases, I called ahead and went back and got some of those as well. I've asked @ other Wally stores but that's the first time I've ever had any delivery info given out. That's a lucky find and a good buy on the Game Shok.

·
Village Amadan
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Who would have ever thought that Obama would end up being the top gun/ammo salesman of all time?!? While I was there I did take the opportunity to also pick up two boxes of Winchester Super-X .270 Win (one each 150 and 170 gr) and two more .308 in 150 gr at 17.97 each. Despite what I might think of Wal-Mart at times, it's hard to beat the facts and they are Wal-Mart does have some of the ammo I want at the price I want.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm so darn proud of myself...

I have been lurking 3 different WalMarts neary every day over the last couple of months and getting whatever ammo they had (.45 and 9mm) which was usually 2 or 3 boxes a week (with 15-20 visits a week).

Stopped by the nearest WalMart today and looked at the normally empty ammo case and they had nearly everything.

At least 30 boxes each of Blazer .45, .40 and 9mm as well as the usual assortment of .22 and 12ga. Couple days ago they had at least 50 boxes of WWB 100 count .45 acp, only bought 2 that day.

Today, I didn't buy any, guess I have enough already. Maybe the worst is over?

·
Village Amadan
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not around here! :'(

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
I do some SERIOUS Wal-mant lurkin', I check any store I go past if I can (I've hit 12 different stores many times over) and its always hit or miss.
I mainly look for 22LR and 9MM but I check for all calibers I have (though I've never saw a Wally world 7.62x54R HA HA).1 store I hit yesterday had 7 550 packs of 22LR so I got 3,no 9MM,no .223 and the usual shot gun stuff.
I hit another one today and the guy in front of me got the only 2 boxes of Blazer Brass 9MM and He wouldn't share,Oh well
I went to my favorite gun shop to see what they had and picked up some .223 and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw bricks of federal and winchester 22LR ...for $29.99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your right.............Wal Mart has their days!

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Hit another(Saratoga NY) they had 1 box 550 rd remington 22LR and 2 50 rd blazer brass 9MM BUT the kid at the counter wouldn't sell me the 9MM without a pistol permit!!!!!!
I've heard of this happening but it's the 1st time it's happened to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Seems like the Wally World consistently has Blazer Brass on Sunday mornings here in my neck of the woods. Have been in there the past two with wonderful results, and bought my limit of 6. Don't worry, I made sure there was plenty more for others before doing so. I think no that I'm stocked with close to 800 rounds, I can hold out for a while. And after paying the govt and everything, those six boxes came out to $60.80. Can't complain, except for the fact that I had to go to Wal Mart. Good luck to the rest of you!

·
Registered
250 Posts
This weekend I've noticed both WWB and Remington handgun brands hitting the shelves. Funny but I don't remember the Rem brand being stocked before. After five months with nothing, then scoring 150 rounds of .38 in 24 hours, I'm ready to believe the insanity is just about over. They had some of 9mm, 40S&W and 45acp too. X

·
Village Amadan
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Today I'm wandering through the Grants Pass Wally World and I decided to head over to the sporting goods department and pick up some more shotgun ammo and I spot two boxes of Remington/UMC 45 ACP. There's a guy standing at the case looking into it and an associate not more than six feet away. I saw the ammo and called the associate over to open the case and fork over the two boxes. She opened the case grabs the two boxes and then asked the guy standing there if he wanted any of it!

He did say no but as she started to lock up the case I asked her why she would even ask since I had already spoken for the remaining boxes. She said it was to be fair to the other shoppers who might want to buy some. I reminded her that he had been there long enough to get her attention and ask for the ammo there and she would have never given it a second thought and that Wal-Mart's policy to limit ammo sales to customer's was no longer in force but what she was doing was in direct violation of that policy. She grumbled something under her breath and I asked for the manager. Oddly enough, he agreed with me and let her have it with both barrels (though I wouldn't have done that publicly).

Like I said, Wal-Mart has their days!

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Today I'm wandering through the Grants Pass Wally World and I decided to head over to the sporting goods department and pick up some more shotgun ammo and I spot two boxes of Remington/UMC 45 ACP. There's a guy standing at the case looking into it and an associate not more than six feet away. I saw the ammo and called the associate over to open the case and fork over the two boxes. She opened the case grabs the two boxes and then asked the guy standing there if he wanted any of it!

He did say no but as she started to lock up the case I asked her why she would even ask since I had already spoken for the remaining boxes. She said it was to be fair to the other shoppers who might want to buy some. I reminded her that he had been there long enough to get her attention and ask for the ammo there and she would have never given it a second thought and that Wal-Mart's policy to limit ammo sales to customer's was no longer in force but what she was doing was in direct violation of that policy. She grumbled something under her breath and I asked for the manager. Oddly enough, he agreed with me and let her have it with both barrels (though I wouldn't have done that publicly).

Like I said, Wal-Mart has their days!
I feel you man. Why is that guy behind there in the first place? They don't let me behind the counter. That plain ticks me off. I'm glad you got your ammo.

·
Village Amadan
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The ammo case is a stand alone case with pistol, rifle and shotgun ammo across from the register so he was okay where he was. My big issue is the woman in the blue vest!

·
Village Amadan
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's all expensive these days. :brow:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.