Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a friend of mine who lives in TX and he said part of why Wal-Marts are low on ammo is because they lost there FFL because too many of the weapons they are selling just "disappear" too often. So they won't sell ammo anymore either because they won't sell weapons for said ammo anymore. :sniffles: :sniffles: :sniffles: :sniffles: :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

·
Banned
401 Posts
I talked to the manager at our local Wal Mart this morning about low inventories of ammo while he was unpacking several long guns and shot guns for display, he basically said it is a supply and demand problem, but I know for a fact, he would not have been putting new guns on the shelves for sale if they had lost their FFL...so I would highly doubt they have lost their FFL.

Dp

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Seling ammo has nothing to do with an FFL. Some Wal-Marts have given up their FFL's based on local/regional consumer demand. The problem with ammo at the moment is that more people want it in larger quantities, than they can supply.

Supply and Demand, pure and simple.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Same here, I just talked to one of guys behind counter because i had heard they were going out of the ammo business. He said the same thing ,supply and demand ,just had 6 umc 9 mm multipaks in, gone in one day.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have 2 Walmarts close to me and one sells just ammo as they stopped selling guns about a year ago the other still is selling both ammo and rifles. Not sure why this is.

·
Banned
401 Posts
From my understanding it is up to the regional manager as well as the store manager and the sporting goods manager as to whether they will sell or not sell guns, but when it comes to ammo that is a cooperate directive..I have traveled quite a bit and have run into quite a few Wal Marts that sell ammo but don't sell guns..so I would probably say the person that told you they lost their FFL has propagated a rumor he heard somewhere on the grapevine..

Dp

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I believe that some Wall=Mart are letting their FFL'S go due to demographics and location, The store by me did just that but they do sell ammo when they have it

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Yeah walmarts have individual FFL licences and some are letting them go due to lack of sales or duplication in the case of two stores within a certain distance of each other!

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Seling ammo has nothing to do with an FFL. Some Wal-Marts have given up their FFL's based on local/regional consumer demand. The problem with ammo at the moment is that more people want it in larger quantities, than they can supply.

Supply and Demand, pure and simple.
The Walmart in Simpsonville SC has shotguns and rifles... The Walmart in Anderson SC has blackpowder stuffs... both have some ammo.

·
Registered
109 Posts
We have 2 Wal Marts in Bismarck ND. One on south side of town has long guns and ammo (very little handgun on hand, no 9mm). Plenty of rifle and shotgun ammo. They said cant get enough to keep it on the shelf. North store doesn't handle even airsoft or BB guns. Dept. manager there said that they both wouldn't sell enough between the 2 of them. The stores are maybe 4 miles apart.

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well all I know is my friend lives in San Antonio... So yeah you won't be buying ammo or guns at their wal marts.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Well, thats San Antonio for ya. Of the near 2 dozen WalMarts around Houston, there are 6 that still sell firearms, and from what I gather, its one per district. But all of them sell ammmo, when they can get it. And it really goes quick !

·
Registered
39 Posts
I worked in a Wal Mart sporting goods department for a year and believe me weapons just don't "disappear."

BATFE log books are VERY important items for those stores that sell firearms and store managers can (and should) lose their jobs for irregularities. BATFE can walk in any time and compare your log to actual firearms on hand - and it better be 100% accurate. Firearms don't just "go missing," or the SHTF. Managers who want to keep their jobs watch this closely and there are limited keys to the "gun room."

Wal Mart reduced the number of stores selling firearms more than a year ago to reduce their costs and legal exposure. It takes extra time and $$ to handle and make firearm sales and there is substantial liability if anything goes wrong. Their profit just didn't make it worthwhile. The government and labor unions are desperately waiting for something to slam Wal Mart on, so that's one less thing.

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It probably doesn't help their sales when you notice the quality in the "good Wal Mart deals" weapons they have. They get the cheaply manufactured versions. Its how they make money with a lot of what they sell. Look at levi jeans they are so cheaply made now... they used to be 50 dollar jeans now they are 20, they hassled the manufacturers to make the stuff cheaper so Wal Mart could make a bigger profit. A Remington 870 is 287 at Wal Mart and is 500 anywhere else if not more and you can easily see the lower quality workmanship in the Wal Mart guns. :mad:

·
Banned
401 Posts
It is amazing, no matter which forum I visit, and it really does not matter the subject, when ever Wal Mart gets mentioned, it always turns into a slam fest...but yet, they were one of the only companies that shows a profit in their reports last month, go figure somebody has to be shopping there!

Now of course if I was to start a retail store I can tell you this, firearms would be last on my list to carry, to many hassles being a gun store in this day and age, but I would make a bid to be a very large ammo dealer!

:D

·
Registered
282 Posts
a local wal mart has no ffl but sells a hell of a lot of ammo.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Am I reading right...the remington they sell at walmart is lesser quality than one at a "real" gun store? why would remington put their name on a firearm that is sub-par to one at another store. so walmart can sell it for less or does walmart get a bulk discount that the privatly owned ones cant compete with and thus gets a better price and contract. I dont know and am no expert on this but I dont think a reputable brand...remington, ruger, or any other time tested manufactuer would stamp their name on a gun that wasnt up to their standards. could someone who knows for sure chime in...the 10/22's they sell look just like the ones at the local gun shop's.

·
Banned
401 Posts
I don't think the Remington you buy at wal mart is any different quality than that that gets sold at gun shop, wal mart just has the ability to purchase far more at one time than many of the other gun shops out there, I use wal mart Remington ammo in my hunting rifles and have never seen anything to suggest it is lower quality, and I have used it on Alaskan as well as African hunts...I love the rumor mill, it is always so entertaining!

:devilsidesmile:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
OK, swithching a little to Remington 10/22's I have a very unique one. Camo, full mannlichtner stock, stainless bull barrel..... took it to my gun dealer to get a value....... he said," whatever the market will bear" Told me Remington makes a slug of DIFFERENT 10/22 versions, remember even the Dale Earnhardt Jr. model red? He told me they will make whatever the customer wants. Just meet minimum order and pricing............ he also told me in fact that Remington does make different model 870's. Firing mechanism is all the same, but they do in use a cheaper, softer wood on some of their models........ cheaper wood and then doctor it up with a little checkering or designs........

Guess he should know...........

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
hmmm I thought the 10/22 was made by Ruger? And as for lower quality stocks I want proof not internet rumor! I have purchased a few firearms from WM and my dad back a few years ago ordered 6 diff shotguns right out of the Remington catalog at Walmart ... the same catalog they had at the local gun store and with the same part# ... I have handled my dads guns and the same ones in the other gun shops and there is no diff except the 30 to 60 bucks he saved on each gun!

I am going to call BS on this from an experience standpoint! :bs:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.