Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this has been touched on before. If it has, I apologize.

So I go into Walmart last night and somehow get drawn to the sporting goods department like a fat guy to a velour jogging suit. I'm looking through the case and, well, see a bunch of things I like. So I grab another brick of 550 .22lr rounds for my upcoming GSG-5 and (2) boxes of Blazer Brass 9mm, since they were under $9.00

He's ringing those--and the other things I had gotten--up and gets to the 9mm. He had already asked me at this point if the purchase was for a handgun and I told him that it was all for rifles. Looks up at me again and says, "pistol permit?" I say to him, "they're not for a handgun--they're for a rifle." Well, he couldn't let it fly and I left Wally World light (2) boxes of ammo. Sucks...talk about a crappy policy. Maybe someone should inform them that there's a 9mm rifle on the market.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
seriously!? where do you need a pistol permit. that breaks my heart. :cry2:

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
i think some states like illinois require a FOID card to buy ammo. in walmart they just pistol or rifle to delineate age requirements. if they pull it again, ask for a manager.

SW

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I've bought before in Illinois as a Missouri resident. When they ask for my FOID I tell them I don't have one. I've never had a problem getting it. Maybe you should carry a photo of your 9mm rifle in your wallet for identification. :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
They been stopped selling handgun ammo at the Walmarts by me. All we can get is shotgun ammo.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I live in New York and this was a Super Walmart in Camillus, N.Y. It actually flashed "pistol permit" on the screen when he cashed me out. Yeah, I may just have to ask for a manager next time. Or, stock up at Herb's when I go to order my GSG and just have Wally-World lose out on the sale.

Regardless, it really is bull crap. Totally ruined my night, too.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
+1 on the manager part. This appears to be a good way to push a point without legal ramifications and payments to lawyers! Besides that it might be fun.

Were that to happen to me, I'd say "wait here". I'd go get my wife and even though she doesn't shoot, put something between her and what she wants...... man you better have cover!! :devilsidesmile: :devilsidesmile:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Here in NH....WallyWorld Mart, all they ask is for an ID/Drivers License before They even open the case doors. You make your purchase, They staple the bag closed right there and you're on your way.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Wow that really sucks and is BS. Out West they dont bat an eye. I know today I just bought out there 9mm. Only 6 boxes all they received.

·
Registered
438 Posts
New York state law prohibits the sale of ammunition which "can only be used in handguns" to any person who does not have a valid pistol permit. You might be able to convince a manager that it's for a 995, but I wouldn't count on it.

I'd buy it at Herbs - it's not that much more and they KNOW the 995 exists, since they sell them.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Here in NH....WallyWorld Mart, all they ask is for an ID/Drivers License before They even open the case doors. You make your purchase, They staple the bag closed right there and you're on your way.
I think most of these stores make it up as they go along. Our WalMart in Gilford doesn't even ask me for ID or what type of gun the ammo is for anymore. Hell.....they don't even staple the bag shut.

·
Registered
825 Posts
They always ask me when ringing up my ammo if it is for a pistol. Once, for giggles, I pretend shuttered and said "Oh my no! I'm scared as heck of those devils!" and kept acting like I meant it. But they still ask and I say no. I did ask them why they have to ask and they told me in Wisconsin it is illegal to sell pistol caliber ammo to people under 21. So far we are not forced to get a stupid permit to buy ammo. How ignorant is that?

So anyway go ahead and search online and find some information about Ruger's PC-9 or Marlins Camp 90. Both are legitimate rifles that are 9mm. The Marlin even looks like a plain old rifle. Print out the information and take it along to Wally and explain to him you are buying for a rifle. If they can't understand that it's maybe time to shop another retailer or online. Maybe in these economic times some of these stores have all the business they can handle and don't mind losing your business.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
They always ask me if it's for a pistol in Indiana. (Even with .22 rounds!) When the register beeps, I just smile and say "Yes." Most of the cashiers just smile knowingly.
It's almost an inside joke. I told the clerk one night, that it actually was for a 9mm rifle. He was kind of surprised, and then said,"Wow, I need to get one of those!"
So I told him about Hi Points, and gave him the web address.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
New York state law prohibits the sale of ammunition which "can only be used in handguns" to any person who does not have a valid pistol permit. You might be able to convince a manager that it's for a 995, but I wouldn't count on it.

I'd buy it at Herbs - it's not that much more and they KNOW the 995 exists, since they sell them.
I would be on-board with this, but... If it's New York State law, you wouldn't be able to buy it ANYWHERE, right? I can buy 9mm without a permit everywhere BUT Walmart.

·
Registered
438 Posts

I would be on-board with this, but... If it's New York State law, you wouldn't be able to buy it ANYWHERE, right? I can buy 9mm without a permit everywhere BUT Walmart.
That one, I've run into before. It comes down to someone who knows *something* about firearms setting policy. If they know that there are rifles in the caliber, they sell it. If they are a wage-slave at Sprawlmart, they just follow the book written for them by the Sporting Goods manager, whomever that may be.
I had trouble the first time I tried to buy 9mm for my 995 there, so I share the irritation. Honestly, I just started mail-ordering so I didn't have to worry about it, because my local shop owner had "catch me if you can" hours. (Great guy to work with, hard man to find.)

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Are you shopping at a french wal-mart?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts