Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We'll I've kind of developed a relationship with they guy at the sporting good section at walmart. Everytime I'm in, I buy two boxes of 22LR ammo. We shoot the shizzle for a few minutes and I leave. They never have any 9mm and 380.

So today I asked him, can I special order some ammo for me? I never am here when y'all get it in. He said he didn't know and would call his manager. His manager shows up and they have some small talk about not getting any in etc etc. He says they can't special order for me but they can set some to the side for me.

Here comes the good part.......

He walks over to the counter with his little hand held scanner gun. He asks me which one I wanted and I showed him..... he beeps away on his scanner gun. Then he turns to the dude I always talk to and asked again why they didn't have any. My dude said he was told that they can't get any from the warehouse. Manager says he can tell they haven't ordered any in a while. He turns to me and says that the most he can order at a time is 30 CASES. He goes down the row at the ammo counter...beep..beep...beep....beep. OK, I just ordered 30 cases of this one, that one, that one and that one..... they'll be here Tuesday night. :blink: :eat: I said, um, ok cool. My dude says he'll be there Tuesday and he'll set them aside and call me.

He takes my name and number and says he'll call me.

I go about doing my shopping. Well some where between the eggs and hotdogs my cell phone rings. He says meet me at the ammo counter in 10 minutes. I continue to the hotdogs and found them on sale (2 for $3 SCORE! ) then head over there. He is wheeling out 8 cases of ammo (40, 9mm & 380)! He said the early guy is supposed to bring these out, but he's a slacker!

Anyway, $200 of ammo later and $78 groceries, I'm heading home.

Moral of the story.... ask a manager and tell him to get his scanner gun.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Without starting my own thread. Today as soon as I got out of bed and was awake I went straight to my local Wally-World and found them stocking the shelves with ammo. Today gentlemen was my day to be "that guy" that you all talk about buying up all the ammo and leaving nothing for nobody else.

550 rounds of ammo later. (Not the entire stock.) I am driving home laughing that this time I am "that guy" that we all talk about.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the part that I found odd was that the manager said the guy in charge of ammo wasn't doing his job and flat out wasn't ordering it. He said he didn't have any problems ordering it, and it was like 120 cases. He did say one of the SKUs he scanned said it wasn't in, but the rest showed the warehouse had stock.

·
Si vis pacem para bellum
548 Posts
Went to China Mart on Saturday 2/7/09 and they had a lot of open spots. But they did have 5 - 100 round boxes of 45 auto. I bought one and am going to kill some snowpiles today. Its a good day to be alive.

·
Long Arm of the Law
631 Posts
Last Wally trip for me produced little ammo wise. I did snag 2 more 550 boxes of Federal 22 at $13.89 each.

This week-end at the localFleece Market some guy from N. Fla had some reloades he made for sale and had the same Fed boxes at $25 each.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
8 cases of ammo for $200?

I'm not sure of the last time I saw one case of ammo for $200
I remember when ammo prices were much lower, and I couldn't afford to shoot as much as I wanted back then either.

I picked up a case (20X50) of 9mm Blazer Brass a few days ago (first I've seen in months and I won't buy the white box--I'll shoot Wolf first) at $8.65 each plus tax. Came to a bit under $200 total. Now if I could only find some BB .45!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Wait this is fishy no one orders for walmart it's all done based on sales by a giant computer system... No joke my uncle helped build it when he worked for NCR Corp. So the bit about the guy not ordering it was bogus. Now the stock boys not bringing it out I can beleive.. so again get the manager and have him check stock!

FYI the way the ordering works is there is a base stock for everything in the store and that is adjusted based on monthly sales. Then when something is purchased it is taken out of that base and reordord by the computer system. However if the base stays unchanged IE same stuff sits on the shelf with no turnover then the system adjustes it down and stock sells until the base reaches the new number of items and then starts reordering. It can take up to two months for the base to adjust up for sales increase as well.

Just thought you might want to know!

G

·
For those of you in Houston, I got some WWB at the Wallyworld at 1960 and Cutten Rd tonight. They had about 20 box of the 100rd value packs for $19.97. Didn't have any Blazer Brass, UMC or Remington. Looks like Winchester was the only brand they received today.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
It's a Wal Mart issue, since all the locations I buy ammo from are still doing well. It's those who ONLY shop at wal mart and have been brainwashed to think they're the only retail game in town that are spreading the "sky is falling" mentality of this "WORLDWIDE AMMO SHORTAGE!!!!!"

When in fact it's a Wal Mart ammo shortage :cantlook: Another reason on the hundred list of reasons why I don't shop at Wal Mart

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I have to say, the ammo shortage has finally come to my neck of the woods. Talking to a friend who works there said its slow to come in and fast to leave. Unspoken attitude at the wal mart here is to try and keep it that way. He feels its more for keeping people coming in then to not sell ammo. Who knows.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Went to WM again this morning and was again too late. They said a guy came in just after they stocked the case with .40,.45, and 9mm. He bought all but 2 boxes of .45WWB. He also bought all their stock in 223 and all the on sale 12 ga..

I bought a box of 22LR for my new NAA mouse gun $1.67. They had plenty 22's!

Whatyagonnado! :cantlook:

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Went to WM again this morning and was again too late. They said a guy came in just after they stocked the case with .40,.45, and 9mm. He bought all but 2 boxes of .45WWB. He also bought all their stock in 223 and all the on sale 12 ga..

I bought a box of 22LR for my new NAA mouse gun $1.67. They had plenty 22's!

Whatyagonnado! :cantlook:
Shop elsewhere....ANYWHERE!

I'm serious: Wal Mart is not the ONLY place that sells ammo. Support your local dealers and you'll find that you can find far more ammo of alot better quality. Sure it might cost a buck or two more per 50, but for local service and constant availability, it is SO worth it!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I only buy .22 at WM and only if I am in there for something else! I can get all of the other calibers cheaper over the WWW.....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Got news for you Neo, I went to a large gun show this past weekend and they didn't have a lot of the popular handgun calibers.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Got news for you Neo, I went to a large gun show this past weekend and they didn't have a lot of the popular handgun calibers.
I have given up on gun shows being accurate portraits of the firearms community. Most dealers are price gouging their ammo and spreading rumors based on NO facts and high on hype in order to line their pockets. They ENCOURAGE the panic buying, and then limit what ammo they bring out. It builds hype that only ends up making them more cash. Sure there is an increase in demand, but dealers are hiking prices and restricting stock, ruining the sport and hobby of shooting in order to make a fast buck. I am fully sure that Wal Mart is no exception. J and G sales, a few of my favourite local gun shops and Bass Pro Shop always have the calibers I need. Yes, the price has gone up, but I can get what I need when I need it. We all know the price is set by the "panic" set, so we know who to blame there.

Gun shows are bastions of those who like to make money off the ignorant and the fearful. I've sworn off those places anymore. Their pricing is fantasy compared to what I can find in the real world. The only "shortage" is that dealers haven't found a way to get more cash out of OUR pockets. Manufacturing of guns has been on a constant pace, and therefore so has the ammo. It's the blind panic that is causing this.

Then again, where I live Wal Mart does not own the town and it's labour pool. We have choices in Phoenix where to buy. Wal Mart is not the end all of our entire consumer lives like many in other parts of the country think. There's a reason for this, but I'm not going to post it on here...it's not the forum for it.

**edited for topical reasons**

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.