Walther P22 - What say ye all?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Atomic_Ed, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

I have a line on a Walther P22 for $225. Looks like a drawer queen with very little use. This one has the treaded barrel. It look a lot like a Ruger SR22.

Anyone have some firsthand experience with this little 22? Seems to be lots of accessories for this little pistol, including a target barrel.

2. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    I've owned the SR22 since they were released. I have fired over 3500 rounds thru it and like it alot.

Here's a review on the Walther forums by a guy who has both. I included his conclusion below.

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p22/19630-sr22p-vs-p22-brief-review.html

Overall, the Ruger is by far the better of the two. My only complaints are two: ditch the magazine safety (which to be fair the P22 also has), and come out with a third, even larger grip sleeve. I'm hoping this pistol prompts Umerex to fix some of the shortcomings in the P22 design.

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    At $225, if I wanted a .22 pistol, I'd buy it right now. Threaded barrel is good, the gun is good with no mods for those of us with normal sized hands, and the ergonomics are good, IMHO.

4. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I've had a P-22 for a few hears, and it has been a good pistol. For the money he's asking, you can't beat it, and I've really enjoyed shooting mine.

It likes Remington Golden Bullets, Federal Blue Box HV round's and CCI the best, but it will do well enough with anything else. If you want really good additional background on the pistol, I would recommend going over to the Walther Forums and checking the P-22 subforum.

There is good information on a full teardown and trigger bar ear polishing. It's all of the fluff 'n' buff that we like doing with our pistols.:cool:

5. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

I have a P22 and like it. It fits the palm nice, has had no feed or ejection issues, and suppresses nicely with a can and SV rounds.

6. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Buy it! I gave 300 for mine slightly used. Great little pistol! Threaded barrel is good.
    It's a damn good looking little gun too.

7. Kiln

Kiln Member

I had one and it was a POS and even the P22 bible couldn't convert it to reliable service. That said, now they're warrantied for life, and yes I contacted their CS to make sure. If that'd been the case when I owned mine, I might be a happy P22 owner rather than a bitter former owner.

8. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I would buy it. They are a little finicky regards to ammo, and the grip is small. Reports of the slide cracking, but I've never seen one cracked. It's made out of Zamak, just like our beloved Hi Points. I like the magazine release once you get used to it. They all have threaded barrels, I believe. They can be a pain to put back together after cleaning.

Edit: wanted to add that IIRC, they are the most sold 22 world wide. That says something!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  9. lsi1

lsi1 Member

at $225 buy it if you don't like it you will have no trouble getting your money back.

10. 0311

0311 Member

I've had one for quite awhile. It is the same size as my EDC gun which is a Springfield XDS in 45 ACP. Makes for a great training gun for me.

Can't say it has had zero issues, but it is reliable. I paid $300 for mine new in 2010. Still one of my favorite guns to shoot.

11. colthrash

colthrash Member

the only real issue (other than finding ammo) I have had is mine does not like hollow points...

12. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    It is the other way around. The Ruger SR22 looks like the Walther. I don't know if they make a non-threaded P22, unlike the SR which can be found and probably more common to be non-threaded.

My experience is you might look elsewhere. For me there is nothing worse than a picky ammo pistol. What is the best deal on the Ruger you can find? There also is a Glock look alike 22 in that price range too. I have no experience with that one though. Ruger Mark or 22/45 is a great pistol too.

13. Think1st

Florida
    You need to try the 36gr Remington Golden bullets. It likes those hollow points, and it is most accurate with them, too.

14. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    No, they don't. There are 6 basic models, and about 10 variations, but most of them have regular barrels. In fact, the Walther site doesn't show any threaded barrel models!

They do, I've shot one, and I see 95% unthreaded in stores.

I don't know where you guys get these ideas?

Ok, I see what's going on...the P22 is all threaded...now...but it wasn't always.
    And the threads are not on the barrel the projects in front of the slide, so you need an adapter, I think, to use most non-Walther add-on items.

Is that correct?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  15. Think1st

Florida
    I think that he's referring to the fact that the P-22 has threading around the muzzle where a cap can be removed to allow changing between the 3.5" and 5" barrels. Technically, that is a threaded barrel, and it is why the Kaliforniastan model has the cap on its 5" models screwed on with red Lok Tite.

There are a good number of adaptor kits out there for the P-22 that allow a can to be attached to it.

16. colthrash

colthrash Member

we are still in a .22 drought in Nevada (along with water). on the rare occasion you get some, it is usually cci or federal. I will keep an eye out for the remingtons. I use velocitors and stingers right now. I reserve them for the walther. I have 2 other pistols, a revolver, and two rifles to shoot the other stuff with.

17. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

Just got back from picking it up. I had a closer look at it today and its in pristine condition. No wear marks to be found and I think there is a possibility that its never been shot. After breaking it down, I can't find any powder residue anywhere and no lead fouling in the barrel at all.

I particularly like the fact that even though its a blow back design, the barrels are interchangeable. The grip is a little small, so I'll have to find a bigger back strap that Walther makes for this pistol. I will also invest in a adapter for the threaded barrel and maybe the 5" barrel at some time.

And I found the "P22 bible" on-line, which has lots of info on upping the reliability and feeding. All-in-all, pretty good first impression, considering the price and condition.

18. I got the P22 conversion model that has both 3.5 & 5 inch barrels and different back straps for the wife. She loves it. Have had it for 8? Years. I love it because its just a smaller version of my USP that I carry at work. All the controls are in the same places. Makes practicing high speed drills cheaper. Only draw back I found is the need for several wrenches and the assembly tool needed to disassemble for cleaning. Highly reliable we love it.

19. Think1st

Florida
    The need for the allen wrenches is why I want the 3.5" barrel for mine. I find the process of removing the "muzzle stabilizer" on the 5" barrel to be tedious. Get rid of that, and basic teardown is tool-free.

Although there is that little plastic dowel for guiding the recoiled spring, while putting the slide on, you can reassemble it without the dowel if you compress the spring and then hold onto the protruding guide rod while fitting the slide over the barrel.

20. Kiln

Kiln Member

One thing I did like about my P22 was that the fit (slide to frame)
    and finish were really good. It was also a very comfortable gun with good ergonomics and controls.

If you have problems, call up Walther and talk to them about it. Even used guns are now warrantied and this includes Umarex guns.