Walther P22

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by MalcolmStone, Apr 21, 2008.

1. MalcolmStone

MalcolmStone Member

I've got a question about this little gun. I've had mine for over a year now but hardly take it out shooting. It seems to have a problem chambering the first round out of either factory new magazine.

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this problem. After loading the magazine (either one), inserting the mag and releasing the slide release, it only chambers the round about half way and I have to force the slide the rest of the way. Every other round afterwards will chamber just fine, it's only the first one after I've released the slide. Also, if the magazine is only half full (5) the slide will automatically chamber the round, but anything more than half will hang up the slide (6, 7, 8, 9, or 10) if I'm using the slide release. I've tried different types of ammo and lubed the crap out of my action.

Unfortunately, Wolff doesn't make a heavier recoil spring for this pistol, just the standard one. I have polished what feed ramp there is, but it has yet to help.

Any suggestions beyond what I've tried? Anyone else have this problem and found a working solution? Do I just need to break the pistol in more (only fired about 50 rounds through it so far)?

Thanks in advanced guys,

Tom

2. Try storing the mag loaded to work in the spring a little. It might be that there is too much tension on the first round to allow it chamber correctly. The HiPoint mags sometimes have this problem also.

3. pjm204

pjm204 Member

i would try firing the gun more, likely needs to break in, also loading and unloading the mags several times will help.

4. MSCHU24

MSCHU24 Member

5. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

break-in. mine did that every so often for around 500 rounds or so. it goes away.

SW

6. MalcolmStone

MalcolmStone Member

Well, I read that link from Rimfirecentral, and I do have the short slot mags. Might buy another, newer mag and see if that helps. If it does, then I may take their advice and Dremel my current ones.

Lots of helpful info guys. I really appreciate it.

Tom

7. You're not riding the slide are you?
    Break in is another thing, shoot it.
    Yhe problem I had was with cases ejecting back into my face instead of to the side but that has been resolved (see the link below)

Here is a link to a P-22 review that has alot of helpful mods:
    http://www.gunjunkie.net/index.php/Armory/Walther-P22.html

8. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

some of the mods listed by that guy were done at the factory on the product improved model that came out in early 06'. Mine will occasionally flip brass back at me but it seems like it only does it with weaker ammo.

SW

9. MalcolmStone

MalcolmStone Member

Okay, I've found the cause of my misfeeds. It's not the magazines like I previously thought it would be. It's the fit of the slide to the frame in conjunction with the hammer.

Did a little light reading on those pages you guys posted and read about one guy who Dremel'ed down the thickness of his hammer.

After playing around with mine a bit, I found that the slide, without a mag inserted, could actually be made to rest just slightly beyond the slide release by slowing down the action with my hand. After careful inspection, I realized the hammer was exerting force on the slide (friction) and slowing it down to the point that the round in the mag would completely stop it.

I didn't take a Dremel to mine, however. I put some slicker-than-snot grease on it and worked the action vigorously about 20 or so times to spread the grease around. Loaded up both mags and went about testing the function.

No problems. Seems that until the hammer/slide wear down a bit after usage, I'll just have to use some good old grease (I'd previously only oiled those two pieces where they met).

Thanks for all the help provided. I'll get an update as soon as I can get to a range and actually test the gun out.

Also, what, in your opinions, is the best/better bulk ammo to buy? So far, my Walther seems to feed the Remington Hi-Velocity Golden Bullet ammo better than the Federal bulk.

Tom

10. Mine also like the Rem bulk better

11. My P-22 has eaten anything I've fed it. Remington, Winchester and Federal. I have found that Federal has had more squib rounds, but the P-22 still eats the ones that do go off.

12. MSCHU24

MSCHU24 Member

I only put Remington Golden Bullets and occasionally Mini Mags thru mine.

13. Mine also eats anything, Federal however has a very high incidence of squib rounds, so much so that I gave the Federals away.

14. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Never had a "Squib", but I've had several duds with Federal... Far too many to be reasonable.