Walther P22

Discussion in 'Gun Reviews and Range Reports' started by histed, Oct 19, 2015.

1. histed

histed Supporting Member

Sunday afternoon I finally got to shoot this thing before having to train Mom (mine, not HP). Weather was really bad, with snow squalls, sleet and rain. Colder than blazes, too. I've read that these pistols like hot ammo, so I took a bit of everything I had - CCI standard velocity, American Eagle, CCI Blazers and Remington Thunderbolts. I'll try Stingers as soon as I find some.

I started with the SV CCIs and, sure enough, they didn't cycle the action. Shot 30 rounds - all 3 mags - just to make sure it wasn't a mag issue. It wasn't. Moved on to the AE with slightly better results. It would fire, eject and pick up a fresh round, but not re-cock the hammer. Accuracy not bad - about 3" @ 12 yards. Next I shot the Remington HV. This the P22 Loves! Flawless with 90 rounds and cut the 11/2 bull out of the target. (This is worthless w/o pics, I know. Unfortunately, in addition to terrible weather, my cell battery went dead, too). It also ran the Blazers without a hitch, but the groups opened up some - that could be my hands going numb.

Finally, I switched on the laser and got it adjusted to POA. By now my hands were too cold to load the mags w/o dropping ammo and my groups were more like patterns, but I'm liking the laser sight. When money loosens up a little I may get one for TCP, though they tend to be a bit more expensive. Anyway, FWIW, there it is. I love this little pistol. Easy to rack, easy to shoot, accurate enough for its purpose and the laser make Mom happy. As always YMMV

2. Glad you like it. Get some of the elusive Mini-Mags and you won't regret the cost.

I don't recommend Stingers, even Walther says to not use them.

3. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Mine likes 36gr Remington Golden Bullets and the 40gr Federal HVs in the blue box. Those will run it well, too, and the Golden Bullets are very accurate.

4. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

5. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
  6. Cold affects ammo considerably, plus if the gun is new the springs are still tight. We just got our first frost, and you are already into sleet. I am not a cold weather person.

7. histed

histed Supporting Member

Thanks for the feedback. Wolf - I'm not a winter person either! But its here, I guess.
    T-1 - great link. Bookmarked and referenced, along with Atomic's. Appreciate the lead on ammo too, along with the Mini Mag, which I've heard work great. Now, if I can just find some.

8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

You got that right. Not only does it affect bullet drop, but it also affects pressure. Ammo left in the hot sun, for instance, shoot with a higher pressure and they've known this since at least WWI. :eek:

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

9. histed

histed Supporting Member

I thought this was true for rimfire and old-style powders. Aren't the new "Extreme" powders supposed to eliminate this? The claims I read are that they are not temperature sensitive. I haven't even tried to test it, as I know I lack the equipment and, in all likelyhood, the expertise. I realize that doesn't include the rimfire, but do you have any reliable info about this?

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I believe that most powders are still sensitive to temperature to some degree or another but I do know that there are also some where are designed to be less sensitive. I know that Hodgdon "Extreme" line of powders make a big deal of being less sensitive to temperature than other products (presumably including other Hodgdon powders which aren't in the "Extreme" line).

That said, we certainly can't be sure of what powders commercial manufacturers are using, never mind surplus ammo.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

11. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

Yep, I always heat my ammo up on the stove top before I go shooting. Gives it that extra umph! :D