Want you guys thoughts on this photo

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Ari, May 13, 2008.

1. Ari

Ari Guest

[​IMG]

Tell me where you think this guy is and who he fights for? Or anything else you notice from the photo. I think the weapons are gear you see being used in the news might tell you something about about what is really going on in an area of the world. I found this photo breaking all the molds for what they claim him to be.

I would like to hear what you guys think this guy is....

2. neothespian

neothespian Member

Well it's hard to tell. I'm actually NOT going to focus on the gear because these days you can buy the stuff off the net anywhere....but this is all just educated guessing.

But the build of the guy looks, and this is just a guess, to be Western. Part of me wants to say he's an anglo of some type (Central European to American). The shirt is written in probably English (or possibly German). Either way it's a Western T-shirt on a Western body type. The car in the background is a Toyota Corrola (mid 80's) SE, which could put it in Europe, Canada, the US, Japan or Israel. Possibly around Turkey or some parts of North Africa, but not likely since that was a Europe/North and South American market body. The scooter is a Honda Dio/Elite 50cc. This rules out Russia for the most part as well as China since the bike was never imported there. But widely popular in most of the world that could get them imported (was one of Honda's biggest sellers in the late 80's and early 90's).

My guess, and this is ONLY a guess, would either be (in order of confidence):

-The US
    -Northern South America (Brazil/Venesuela/Chile)
    -South Africa (long shot)

So, how far off base am I?

3. Ari

Ari Guest

If I was to tell you this is a Shia gunmen in Beirut, what would you say about this guy? When was the last time you saw a Shia with a AR and an AR that he put some thought into?

4. neothespian

neothespian Member

I would say he's out of shape... and he's got some good funding somewhere.

5. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

dang, i was going to say middle east, and it was a mercenary, goofing off...
    PS The shirt: JEEP rambler? the 1st what????

6. Ari

Ari Guest

is he a merc or a spook?

Checkout all the new US gear the Lebanese army is using! I thought this was a bit weird too. I am not sure what to make out of this. A place with stock piles of Aks and AK ammo and they are using ARs and new US helmets and BDUs.

[​IMG]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7397946.stm

7. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

This is not political:
    We're going global, and pawning all of our hard-earned items to other nations to pay for our crack... errrr. oil addiction and gambling debts (read: the war).
    If he was a spook, a camera wouldn't be there, and he wouldn't be there either... spooks are now living in your neighbor's attic and awaiting the day to strike... or is he hiding in your dog's house... or is he in the bushes... I donno. But He isn't there, so I'll say Merc. I'm firm on that one.

8. I have to agree with Strangerous... That guy has Merc written all over him.

9. Thayldt21

Thayldt21 Senior Member Member

First off the pick dont mean jack. Second. Do you all really believe everything the media tells you???

Know the other pick Ari put up. I have no answer for that. Do we really know those pictures are truely lebanese Military?

I ask cuz I dont think we (Wink Wink) would be supplying them.?!?

10. First thing I noticed was the background, made me think middle east, then I had a hunch of in or close to Israel and thats as far as I got before I gave up and scrolled down.

11. Ari

Ari Guest

I do not believe anything I get from the media. All I know is what the BBC reported in the story. There are other photos in the same set of stories with troops they are calling Lebanese Military that have what looks like brand new M16A2s. (much nicer then the weapons we see the Israelis carrying) Also look at the APCs they all look like nice M113s. With 50 cals on board. I don't think we would be supplying them either. But one never knows what goes on behind closed doors.
    [​IMG]

12. elguapo

elguapo Guest

I was going to say Druze, Lebanese Christian.

But, could be one of them Drug gunners in Mexico for all we know.

13. condition1

condition1 Member

the all-concrete buildings and lack of anything wooden makes me think central/west Africa, but it isn't dirty or crowded enough, no laundry hanging from the rails, etc. hard to say on nationality, can't see face very well. I don't think he's that far out of shape because of the low angle and LBV making it look like more of a gut on him, but he's not hungry for sure.
    I wrote the first part before reading the entire thread, so now I will say it is somewhere in the middle east, how's that for specific?
    I say merc, if I had to choose between the two. Spooks would be more casually dressed or wearing local garb and not displaying arms, 'fitting in' so to speak, or just not seen at all.

14. wd6bgn

wd6bgn Guest

Gee my guess of a used car salesman in St. Louis is a bit out. eh? I do think he is a wanna be. But like your mother used to tell you, "Posture is everything."
    Just my $0.03 worth.

15. looks like a merc or a merc wannabe.

16. Looks like a newly formed law enforcement that America has been helping set up over in Iraq, Hence the wanna be stature.

17. Is it too late to change my guess to a 7/11 clerk.