Wanting to buy an old shotgun, need some ideas..

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by AndrewST, Mar 22, 2008.

1. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

So I am wanting to buy an old shotgun, a pump...maybe something a prison guard would have used many years ago.

The reason for buying it is to give me something to do as far as restoring it back to a nice condition. I have an idea of what it would look like in my mind, but can't seem to find it on the internet...partly because I don't know many models from a ways back.

A search of "old shotguns" didn't turn up much surprisingly.

So anyone have an idea of what is out there...something say maybe 40 or 50 years old...newer would work to.

I just want something I could buy in working condition, but needs a little TLC.

However I don't want something that has a collector value to it, as restoring it would destroy that value. Something that was mass produced for the average guy.

Pictures welcomed!

2. Ari

Ari Guest

Hit the pawnshop mine has a tone of old pump shotguns. They all seem to need some TLC

3. I would look into and old Remington 870 Wingmaster.

4. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

pawnshops, swap meets or gunshows are your best bet. Look for old savage, remington or ithica guns as they are the easiest ot find parts for.

SW

5. HPHooked

HPHooked Member

Trying scoring an old winchester model 1897 pump shotgun.

6. Space

Space Member

NH
  7. HPHooked

HPHooked Member

Mine's not a trench gun. Looks like some sheriff or guard had one cut down and a bead sight put on the front of the barrel. Nice part is the gun comes apart into two equal halves. The Norinco's don't do this. Picked mine up about 15 years ago from a gun shop in Austin, TX for $158.00 out the door. They thought is was a white elephant of a gun. I thought it was the neatest shotgun I would ever own. I was not mistaken. When it comes to pure shotgun fun, my Winchester '97 takes the cake. :D :D :D :D :D

8. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

The trench gun looks kinda cool, but expensive as hell. I suppose I will hit my pawnshops up and try to score an old one.

9. HPHooked

HPHooked Member

Another option is either the Mossberg 500 or the Remington 870. I own both of them also and have found them all work very well and will do just about anything you ask of them.

Good gun hunting to ya. :D :D :D

10. Can't go wrong with an 870, although it's not an "old" shotgun, but has been been riding "shotgun" with cops, guards, military, and beyond since the 50's. Many would never think of it as having alot of historical value, but considering how long it's been around, how many riots it's endured, how many squad cars it's ridden in, and how many doors it has played entry to around the world and across the battle fields. Here's some history from the www.remingtonsociety.com

The beginning of the second half of the 20th Century was a milestone product year for the Remington Arms Company. It was in 1950 that "America's Oldest Gunmaker" introduced what many believe is the finest pump shotgun ever produced, the Model 870. Produced every year since, the Model 870 has become the most successful single model gun in Remington's 189-year history, and the best selling pump-action shotgun in firearms history. Remington called it "the Wingmaster".

Three years earlier, Remington design engineers had begun working on a replacement for the rugged but outdated Model 31 pump-action shotgun. Utilizing common parts from the sleek, new Model 11-'48 autoloader, L. Ray Crittendon, Phillip Haskell, Ellis Hailston and G. E. Pinckney developed what would later be called the Model 870 shotgun. In January 1950 Remington announced its new Model 870 Wingmaster shotgun. Like the Model 11-'48, the new Model 870 shotgun breech locked securely in a hardened barrel extension, and a new locking block and slide was devised for a smooth and effective operation.

11. The 870 is crap IMHO, but again, that's just MHO. I think the finest pump shotgun ever produced was about 4 hours from the Remington plant in Ithaca, NY by... you guessed it, Ithaca Gun. The Model 37 went through Vietnam and the LA riots. It is an unkillable machine from what I can tell. Mine was built between 1942 and 1946 and the extent of the wear on it was some bluing scratched off the slide. It's machined from a solid piece of steel unlike Remington's aluminum. Bottom eject is just sweet, not having shells flying sideways at a hunting partner's face, or if you're a lefty, against your forearm. I did a quick scrape, sand, and refinish in a couple days. I did a patchy cold-blue on the couple bare spots, and you'd have a hard time telling it from a new one... except the hand checkering (from the factory back then), and the after market poly-choke. Get an Ithaca 37, you won't be disappointed. Oh yea, I walked out of the gun shop just $200 lighter, find a used 870 that's worth a steamy turd for that...

12. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

I have seen a lot of Ithaca's really cheap online, just didn't know anything about them. Maybe I will research those a little too.

13. I do cowboy action shooting so I'm familiar with older shotguns.

For pure fun and wow factor get a replica Winchester 1887 shotgun (not 1897). That is the LEVER action 12 gauge shotgun. Comes with either the 18 or 20 inch barrel (20 inch is common, the 18 is on a Coyote Cap gun). So much fun and so cool.

For classic great shotguns, find yourself a model '97 (1897) Winchester. I think that they were the first really great pump action shotguns.

You can get the chinese replicas, stay away from the CAI imports, stick with the IAC imports and you should be golden.

I have a real solid frame (harder to find for some odd reason) 1906 Winchester '97 that is totally original and unbutchered. 26 in barrel, original worn finish, stock that has zero cracks, etc. Works awesome, I have been using it in cowboy action shooting. I got it a short time ago for about 300 which is a great deal these days. Very solid gun for 102 years old.

14. panoz77

panoz77 Member

What about a stoeger double barrel coachgun? I think they can be had for around $300.00. On my soon to have list.