Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting to do a custom 10/22 for target shooting, as its a hobby of mine. I'm wanting to be able to hit a dime at a 100 yards every shot. I'm highly critical of myself, and I find shooting to be one of the most skilled sports.

I also love working with my hands, and building stuff myself.

Where should I start with my Ruger build? Also, I'm wanting to make this a top of the line rifle, so what am i looking at for expected costs?

What brands should I look into.

Also, this will probably be used as a varmint rifle out at my grandmothers property, I currently use a cheap little Model 60 for it, as she has lots of pests in her property.

Sorry for this not being the most organized post, I have a lot going on right now and a lot of thoughts going through my head, lol.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
Have you been to rimfirecentral.com yet? That is the place for "sky is the limit" .22 rifle mods.

You will want to start out with an aftermarket bull bbl, everybody and his brother make them so I would do some research on rimfirecentral to see who the current "gotta have it" maker is. $100 for a cheap one, on up.

Stock is personal preference, many makers here also. I like the Hogue overmolded rubber in a conventional design. $60 and on up.

Action work can go several routes. Volquartson makes a complete trigger housing setup that is a drop in unit, ready to go but expensive. You can also tune up the factory unit if you know what you are doing, Power Custom sells some tune-up accessories like shim washers that help a lot, Volquartson sells parts too. IIRC, the Volquartson complete unit runs around $225 or so. $60 will get you a factory unit.

For top accuracy, "blueprinting" the bolt is usually recommended. This involves machining the bolt face exactly square and making the case head recess in the breechface to match minimum headspace specs. Volquartson makes an aftermarket bolt that seems to be an upgrade, their steel "exact edge" extractor also helps with reliability.

Receiver is the biggie, do you go with a stock Ruger rifle and replace most of the parts, or do you start from scratch and add the parts to a bare aftermarket receiver? Many feel the Ruger method of bbl attachment puts uneven stress on the bbl and reduces accuracy potential. For those folks, there are threaded bbls and receivers with threads in the bbl hole. Most aftermarket ones have the scope rail machined into the top for rock solid mounting. Aftermarket are also generally tighter on bolt fit, having to hand lap the bolt into the rails is a good thing for accuracy, but bad for quick cheap production. If you have a mill, there is also the receiver casting route where you buy a raw casting and machine it out yourself. If you're really a hardcore DIY type, start with a block of metal and take away everything that doesn't look like a receiver! I think aftermarkets generaly start around $150 and can go as high as $400 or so.

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to build off of the base Ruger 10/22, just mods, some friends of mine actually started a competition, have to start with a base rifle, but can be as modded as you want, and we're going for 100 yard accuracy, I think the price limit was like 1k or 1500. I'm going to save for a bit, and I thought a 10/22 would be perfect for this. I'll check that site out, thanks for all the help.

I should point out that it has to be a .22, and you get bonus points if you're under the price cap.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Save you money on the 10/22, you are not only to hit a dime @ 100 everytime, sorry.

You want to be accurate start with something like a Annie,Sako,Cooper,or CZ or something known for its accuracy. And then you will start looking for GOOD glass to see that dime @ 100. Then you start looking for what it will eat, mine really likes the $ 8.00-$ 10.00 range ammo, then again it does pretty dang good with some cheap stuff too.

Can you hit a dime @ 100 3/4" Oh yea, all day long nope.
Do check out rimfirecentral and look at the matches and games there and you will start to get an idea of what it's going to take for a rifle and for you.

I don't what to discourage you just let you see that the most popular rifle is not always the most accurate. Your Marlin 60 will flat out shoot a lot of 10/22's.
Also check out the Marlin section there also and DO the trigger sticky to get rid of the heavy pull and creep.

You'll have many day of reading a head of you :D Let us know what you decide on.

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So my old beater rifle that I picked up used from a gun store with crappy scope on it for $60 will outshout a 10/22 after I fix it up?

But now that I've been on rimfirecentral, I really want a 10/22.

Also, the guys changed the range to 50 yards, one of the guys bought some high end 22 rifle and couldn't do better than a 2 inch grouping at 100 yards, so he convinced everyone to back it down to 50 yards lol.

·
Registered
62 Posts
A lot of reasons for a 2" group @ 100. The rifle didn't like what it was being fed, WIND, < that's a BIG one, scope, or shooter and so on and so on.

That was at 100 using Wolf Match Extra. I would love to do that everytime but NOOOOOO :D

If you don't want to tinker with one look at RFC adds for one for sale, always 10/22's for sale.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
my custom ruger is a fine shooter. FIRST THING WITH THIS CUSTOM BUILD.. establish a budget. there are many mods that can be made, so having a budget, and overall gun build plan WILL make your life easier and save you cash.

+++1 with visiting rimcentral website tons of info on 10/22, and vital consumer reviews on many products.

ENJOY!

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My budget is kinda open, I have a bit saved for this project, and will save and save and save more, there are 7 of us guys, 2 of us are down, and one is a year out lol, its just all for fun mostly, and an excuse to go blow way too much money on a 22 lol.

Here is my thread on RFC with what I'm going with so far.

And aries, I jacked ur pic lol, I want a similar look to my rifle.

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295994

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
For the money a 10/22 is going to cost you why not just go with a good centerfire and do some advanced reloading. At least then you will have a good rifle as nothing is going to hit a dime every time because its not the rifle its the man behind it.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Well cant argue about rifles being fun since they are in second place behind women for most fun things on the planet.

I just try to steer people with large sums of money to spend toward good center fire rounds like 223, 308, or 30/06. After all we may have need of you one day. :devilsidesmile:

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Wanting to do a custom 10/22 for target shooting, as its a hobby of mine. I'm wanting to be able to hit a dime at a 100 yards every shot. I'm highly critical of myself, and I find shooting to be one of the most skilled sports.

I also love working with my hands, and building stuff myself.

Where should I start with my Ruger build? Also, I'm wanting to make this a top of the line rifle, so what am i looking at for expected costs?

What brands should I look into.

Also, this will probably be used as a varmint rifle out at my grandmothers property, I currently use a cheap little Model 60 for it, as she has lots of pests in her property.

Sorry for this not being the most organized post, I have a lot going on right now and a lot of thoughts going through my head, lol.
Well, I would start reading at www.rimfirecentral.com. I also did alot of reading on the web just by searching Ruger 10/22 custom and such. I have wanted to build a custom 10/22 for awhile . I chose to build a custom .22 because of the price of ammo. If I would have buile a custom .308 lets say. I would not be able to shoot it as much as the .22 .

Hope that helps some........ Aries

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
And aries, I jacked ur pic lol, I want a similar look to my rifle.

Hey, that is funny! I am realy liking the rifle. I plan on bring it to the range this weekend!
Aries

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well cant argue about rifles being fun since they are in second place behind women for most fun things on the planet.

I just try to steer people with large sums of money to spend toward good center fire rounds like 223, 308, or 30/06. After all we may have need of you one day. :devilsidesmile:
I also plan on picking up a McMillan TAC .308 or .338 in a few years. My goal is to be a SWAT sharpshooter since I couldn't serve(med discharge 7 weeks into Navy boot), and a McMillan will be awesome practice I figured, lol.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
A PSL is a fun rifle for that purpose also. You can pick one up for about 700 and 54R is as dirt cheap as ammo gets these days. You can do under 1 MOA with a good match round (reloading ) but you will have to work for it. Baring problems with big brother I would like to pick one up next year but money is getting tight and there's so much I want to get and work on.

I like 22LR for basic marksmanship training at Appleseed shoots and at 25M ranges. But when I drive an hour to get to a large range I want to work with the 308. If you haven't gotten to one yet get to an Appleseed for some real solid instruction. If you are past that stage we need instructors badly to teach others the basics. I always learn more by teaching others no matter what the subject.

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am also willing to learn more, and who knows, I might learn that there is a fatal flaw in my technique, lol. I've never taken an actual course on how to shoot a long gun, so I could probably use it, and I'd gladly teach if I could.

As for my range, as of right now all there is is the Henryville forestry, about 100 yards max range, and some buddy's property, 1-1.5 miles for range.

The 22 is just a fun accuracy shooter for up to 100, but more around 50 yards.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Then by all means get over to http://appleseedinfo.org/ and see whats up in your area. There is also a weekly radio show on Blog Talk Radio every Tuesday 8pm Eastern
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/AppleseedRadio.

We teach marksmanship and history as it relates to the Revolutionary war marksmen. Our way of trying to wake up the country. Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A dime at 100 yards everytime?

Sorry. The ammo won't let you do it.
.22LR ammo is not that consistent.

Save your money.

The Ruger 10/22 is a nice rifle, and there are many accessories for it, but it will never be
anything but an overglorified cat killer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts