Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Long Arm of the Law
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for info and/or guidance on what is needed to start reloading esp any sources of printed material.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Many reloading forums out there have a "sticky' post on this common question. here is just one (I hope it's OK to post a l;ink to another forum? if not I'll be happy to delete this)

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=238214

There are many reloading manuals out there as well.

Youtube and Lee Precision offer many help videos showing the process quite well. http://leeprecision.com/html/HelpVideos/video.html

Best advice IMHO is to spend a week or two and just read all the posts on the forums like this one to educate yourself.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Wow, where to start?

Um, go down to your local Mom and Pop gun shop and see if they have any reloading manuals. Most of the newer ones have a preface that explains the principle of reloading and what to watch out for. I have the Hornady reloading manuals vol 1 and 2 edition 4 I believe and the preface in that edition is really good reading. You can also surf the internet or do a google search as most gun powder manufacturers have online blogs/websites about their products.

Are you looking for anything specific?

No worries RandyP, you're good for posting links.

·
Long Arm of the Law
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was thinking on possibly 9's, 40's and 45's to start. Then if I get the hang of it go into some of the rifle calibers.

Thanks for the advice so far.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I would add that should you decide like I did that since you don't really shoot high volumes of ammo per month the great Lee Anniversary single stage kit is the best choice for you......buy their Classic Turret instead. It too can operate as a single stage while you get comfortable with the very simple steps involved in creating a safe, functional reload. You may just like me find you want to now go from batch processing your components to the non-progressive turret to build 4 times the ammo per hour for very little increase in cost.

I ended up buying the Lee Classic Turret within mere weeks of single stage reloading - lol - what can I say? I'm impulsive. But I have NO regrets on the LCT, or the Aniv Kit either. I have found them both to be very economical, reliable tools. There are of course many other makes out there that make GREAT tools too. If Lee is the Chevy, Dillon is the Cadillac and there are Pontiacs and Buicks too - all very good tools for their purpose. Lots of choices to match all budgets and needs from $20 (Lee Loader-whack it with a mallet) to $2000 (Dillon 1050 with all the bells & whistles) that will ALL create safe, functional reloaded ammunition.

·
Long Arm of the Law
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have watched some of the videos and I don't see why I could not do it. I suppose it is a cost effective issue, but also an issue of self reliance regarding reloading.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Everyone has given great advice so far. Read everything you can on-line and then decide which books or manuals to buy. I also recomend "Modern Reloading by Richard Lee. I liked his book as a good basic start and it also goes very much into detail of the Lee reloading equipment which I knew I'd be buying. Lee stuff is sort of like Hi-Point less expensive but still very good quality.

You'll find an overload of information but wade through it and you'll soon realize that it is alot of the same info just stated a little differently. Nothing particularly hard about relaoding all it takes is close attention to detail. Safety first!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts