Waranty policy question.

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by kevin6154, Apr 24, 2014.

1. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

So after my 2000round cleaning I would like to polish the outside of the slide. Will mom still cover my Waranty? I'm not in a hurry to do this but I figure if I have it apart to clean it would be a good time to do this. I have a background as machinist and I'm quite sure I can hand polish it to a mirror. But if this will void my Waranty I won't bother.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Many have done that here, why would you think it voids the warranty?
    It doesn't by the way.

3. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1398350511.031320.jpg this engin started out with a similar finish as my jcp. I'd like to do this to my slide. The engine case took about 4 hours to do by hand.

4. panoz77

panoz77 Member

It should look great, I do like a well done polished slide. Are you going to clear coat it or just use flitz or something similar to keep it maintained?

5. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

Prolly just mothers mag polish. Once a good finish is established it's easy to maintain.

6. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

Just wanted to be sure before I do it. In actuality from what I know about metal a polished surface will actualy make it stronger. This is why connecting rods in race motors are polished. I always thought this was strange because you will never see them but after some research I found out why.

7. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1398396482.891380.jpg got bored so I polished the slide on my cobra380. This is the before pic ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1398396547.215419.jpg it'll get better when I get more buffing compound. Hope my jcp turns out better lol. I'm a perfectionist!

8. talon

talon the banned wagon

polishing does not make metal stronger. connecting rods are polished to reduce friction from imperfections in the metal, making a SMOOTHER 'ride' than standard cast or forged units . it doesnt make them stronger. heat treating, cryo treating, those things can make them stronger, a polish, not so much. it just looks cool.

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Not actually stronger, it just relieves the surface of corners or edges that can lead to cracks and fractures. It also reduces weight, and let's oil slide off easier, for better heat transfer.

10. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

Sorta what I ment. Metal has a grain that is created by it's finish. Cracks usually start in this grain. The finer the finish, the less likely a crack. In other words, stronger.

11. talon

talon the banned wagon

in other words, no. NOT stronger. the strength of the metal will not have any change from being polished. as stated, it makes a smoother surface, and will reduce the chance of fatigue from imperfections, and reduce friction, none of those are strength. but no, strength is in no way, shape or form increased.

its like putting on one of those latex olympic bathing suits. it reduces friction in the water, but it still wont teach you to swim.

12. Tyler-Durden77

Tyler-Durden77 Member

+1 to this. Polishing will reduce friction between mating surfaces, can be used to size pieces to extreme tolerances (usually called lapping), and increase the aesthetic value of a piece, but it will not make metal stronger. However, HP is very forgiving when it comes to their warranty, in fact I have never heard of them refusing a claim. I asked about the aftermarket trigger when I sent my C9 in and was told that it will not void anything, but they can't return the pistol with it on. In sort polish away if you like the look, but don't expect any more benefit than looks.

13. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

Yes tensile strength remains the same. But if something is more resistant to stress cracks I'd call that stronger. And no I do not think that polishing the outside of a slide makes it any stronger. I'm still on the engine con rod thing. I needed 2 more years of school to be a tool and die maker so I only have machinist aprentiship completion papers. The shops I worked in worked with mainly aluminum and other alloys. Metallurgy and heat treating was only barely touched in school. Lol I was young and not the best machinist. Too much partying and girl chasin. Mediocre machinist sometimes get stuck on the polishing bench. I spent a year there. Learned a lot from an older gentleman named Stoney.

14. talon

talon the banned wagon

ive worked in metals my whole life, and im far from young. starting with sheet steel forming, to various foundry jobs for GM locomotive engine blocks, to wind driven turbines the size of an average house, as well as other products, and now i work with aerospace technology using metals most people cant even pronounce, so i knows me a thing or two as well.

polishing your rods, again, will reduce the chance of fatigue, but that is not strength. it simply reduces the amount of sharp edges where a crack can start. now, if you SHOT PEEN the connecting rod, you can increase its strength slightly, called 'work hardening'. standard polishing simply reduces stress risers, nothing more, nothing less. it has exactly the same chance of having issues from failure as a non polished piece, it just does it smoother. if said metal was in a liquid bath, say, oh, oil, a polished piece would have a potentially longer lifespan from less friction, but, its still no stronger.

15. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

Don't get me wrong I'm not claiming to be an expert. I was just stating that my knowledge of metallurgy and heat treating is limited because it was never covered in school and the shops I worked for didn't do any.

16. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    It's not your metallurgy, it's your English language skills.;)

Lasting longer and resisting fatigue is not strength, even though in many cases it is vastly superior to simple strength.

Think about it like this...if a guy can bench 450 lbs he's strong. If another guy can only bench 350 lbs, he's not as strong. The fact that the 450 guy can do it once before muscle failure, and the 350 guy can do it 5 times, doesn't make the 350 guy "stronger", even though it may make him better or more useful at some things.

And if some other guy can do 250 lbs 20 times...even better at some things, but still...not as strong.

But in the military, they prefer the guy that can resist fatigue. Mountain climbers also need that. And of course, con rods. Any old strong metal can handle a push to two. But can they handle umpteen million pushes at 20% of their breaking strength? THATS why they polish, not to increase strength, but to reduce potential fatigue and increase life span.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  17. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

Much better said than I can splain! Numbers n science I understand, proper English I do not! Passed every English class in hs by flirting w the (all my English teaches were women) teachers and turning in free hand poetry. Flowery lovey dovey **** that chicks dig. Usually always got me a passing (sometimes barely) grade!

18. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

Ok since cuss words are edited, "lovey dovey crap!"

19. My old .40 was painted/stripped/hydrographic'd/stripped and mom still replaced it.