Warning: g-sight laser bore trainer not for hi-point

Discussion in 'Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights' started by amannamedjed, Sep 22, 2017.

1. amannamedjed

amannamedjed Supporting Member

I recently bought a g-sight laser bore trainer for use with my S&W M&P 9mm. Works great. Helped my groups a lot.

However, do not use these with Hi-Point firearms. The HPs use the firing pin as the ejector, which means the firing pin sticks into the primer when fired, then flicks the casing out after firing. When I tried it with my 995ts, the pin tore a hole in the rubber "primer" "on" switch on the g-sight laser. I was able to repair it by forcing some liquid glue into the hole, but I now have to renew it every few sessions as the glue eventually comes out.

Not a knock of the g-sight nor the hi-points. They are just not a good fit together.

Think1st and rowiebowie like this.
  2. Cynical

Cynical Member

I have the shield too. Did you buy the 9mm or the 380 g-sight? I heard the 380 fits the 9 great but the 9mm won’t fit.

3. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Does your trainer have the rim or not? The newer cartridges I believe are rimless now so it won't be ejected everytime. Also, I believe the laserlyte for the hipoint has a training mode now.

4. amannamedjed

I was using the 9mm. I have a 380 on order, but is not here yet. It was a pretty tight fit in my M&P 2.0 9mm. I went with the full sized model and it is my EDC pistol now.

5. amannamedjed

I got the 2.0 laser from g-sight, which is rimless. Not sure what the laserlyte is. May be a competing product. If so, I know nothing about it.

6. amannamedjed

The software for mine is called g-sight. It has a training mode that records all shots, a 10 shot training mode, and a fairly cool shot timer mode. My M&P must be cocked each time (without live ammo) so multiple shots are not recordable, but it does a great job of recording my draw/aim/first shot times.

7. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Check out the app I target pro. This can be cast to a TV too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    Pistolkitty and lklawson like this.
  8. amannamedjed

Pretty nice. Looks similar to the g-sight I am using, except the g-sight uses your smart phone.

9. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Uses smart phone , tablet, etc too. They sell the fancy mount for phone and target. You can set up the target on a wall and put your phone infront looking at it.
    Last I checked the g-sight app wasn't free like the itarget pro one is.

10. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    lklawson likes this.
  11. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
  12. Miki Jimenez

Miki Jimenez Member

Is this using a Gen 2 or Gen 3
    I just bought a Gen 2 for my Hi Point,
    this is the only gun I could afford right now.
    Is there another firing cartridge the is compatible?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2021
  13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I don't think any of the cartridge style ones will work. As far as I've ever found, they all work by having a spring loaded "momentary" switch where the primer is. In a typical handgun, the firing pin hits the primer/switch and rebounds or is retracted with a spring. Hi Point firearms do not work this way. The firing pin stays forward until the slide is cycled again.

For laser training with a Hi Point, as was referenced above, the Laserlyte product claims to have a training mode. However, at $100, it costs about 2-3x as much as a laser training cartridge. On the other hand, it also acts as a standard laser sight, and at half the cost of some others; saving as much as $150 if you were to try to buy both components for another gun.

You can buy one here:
    https://www.amazon.com/LaserLyte-La...e=UTF8&qid=1524687508&sr=1-1&keywords=uta-hab

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Miki Jimenez likes this.
  14. Miki Jimenez

Miki Jimenez Member

Thank You so much for the input,
    now I'm going to save up for another gun and keep this as a stand by then. Much Appreciated Thanks again.