Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Me and my best buddy, Scotty the collie
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all -

I wanted to warn anyone who was thinking of doing what I did, "pimping" my 4595 carbine with some "upgrade" parts, about a potentially serious problem. This may be common knowledge here, as this group is very well-versed in the workings of these firearms, but I found out through the "school of hard knocks." I'd just like to post this in case someone else is thinking of doing what I did.

After buying and installing several parts including another recoil spring, plunger, and charging knob handle, I also installed the sear spring from the company listed. I had not had an opportunity to test-fire the carbine after the surgery, but had to contact Hi-Point by phone after I'd done the work for something unrelated.

I ended up talking to the 4595 tech, and was discussing what I'd done. He was absolutely horrified when I told him I'd replaced the sear spring, not because I'm not a professional gunsmith, but because of the fact that in his experience this spring, from this company, had led to multiple issues after (proper) installation including failure to feed and - more importantly - at least one incident of full-automatic fire.

When I went back to MCARBO's page, I found a disclaimer that I had missed (my bad, and I admit it) that they do not accept any responsibility for the product even if installed by a professional gunsmith.

Needless to say, I postponed my test session, and am waiting for a replacement factory sear spring. I'm extremely annoyed at having to disassemble this beast yet again just to replace a tiny part, but I'll put up with a heavy trigger rather than run the risk of FTF or full auto.

Again, it was probably a noob mistake, but I learned my lesson.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
Hello, all -

I wanted to warn anyone who was thinking of doing what I did, "pimping" my 4595 carbine with some "upgrade" parts, about a potentially serious problem. This may be common knowledge here, as this group is very well-versed in the workings of these firearms, but I found out through the "school of hard knocks." I'd just like to post this in case someone else is thinking of doing what I did.

After buying and installing several parts including another recoil spring, plunger, and charging knob handle, I also installed the sear spring from the company listed. I had not had an opportunity to test-fire the carbine after the surgery, but had to contact Hi-Point by phone after I'd done the work for something unrelated.

I ended up talking to the 4595 tech, and was discussing what I'd done. He was absolutely horrified when I told him I'd replaced the sear spring, not because I'm not a professional gunsmith, but because of the fact that in his experience this spring, from this company, had led to multiple issues after (proper) installation including failure to feed and - more importantly - at least one incident of full-automatic fire.

When I went back to MCARBO's page, I found a disclaimer that I had missed (my bad, and I admit it) that they do not accept any responsibility for the product even if installed by a professional gunsmith.

Needless to say, I postponed my test session, and am waiting for a replacement factory sear spring. I'm extremely annoyed at having to disassemble this beast yet again just to replace a tiny part, but I'll put up with a heavy trigger rather than run the risk of FTF or full auto.

Again, it was probably a noob mistake, but I learned my lesson.
At least you learned your lesson before any bad happened.

And their little disclaimer doesn't mean shit. They knowingly sell a part that has the potential for failure. They are at fault and I'm just waiting it to happen and they will be sued

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
I think it’s not worth replacing the sear spring.
Like how much of the feel of the trigger pull is caused by the sear spring?
That gritty sloppy HP trigger is not caused by that little spring.
Rather by the construction, the materials, the finish on the trigger bar even.
So what some here have done is smooth out all the trigger components while the gun is apart to replace the sear spring then contribute the better “feel” to the spring.
Or they’ve lubricated what was previously just Zamak on plastic or steel on plastic.
In any case.....thanks for posting.

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
Could someone please sticky this so we can use it as proof that we're not full of shit every time we warn someone about that sear spring?

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
Needless to say, I postponed my test session, and am waiting for a replacement factory sear spring.
You threw the original part away? That's completely foolish. If they're not broken, always keep your original parts for every firearm. If for no other reason than it raises the resale value if you ever decide to get rid of it.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
Could someone please sticky this so we can use it as proof that we're not full of shit every time we warn someone about that sear spring?
Please a Giant sticky saying this shit it dangerous

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
For those of you that havent tried the replacement sear spring, I can attest to the fact that it makes a huge difference in the trigger of a JHP 45 HP pistol. I installed one and shot more accurately than I ever have with an HP pistol. All the negative comments here persuaded me to remove the spring and replace the stock spring.

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
I can attest to the fact that it makes a huge difference in the trigger of a JHP 45 HP pistol
I'm sorry but I have a hard time buying that. What else you do?
Little spit and polish?
The sear spring does not affect trigger travel, grittiness only the pull.
It can't affect anything else.

Reactions: Cynical

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,819 Posts
I'm sorry but I have a hard time buying that. What else you do?
Little spit and polish?
The sear spring does not affect trigger travel, grittiness only the pull..
Which is kind of a big freaking deal in how a trigger feels.

So I buy his position.

That said, I don't think the OEM trigger is all that bad. Maybe it's all the old guns I have shot, maybe it's the Keltec pistols...but the HP trigger is more than adequate, IMHO.

·
Administrator
24,570 Posts
Which is kind of a big freaking deal in how a trigger feels.

So I buy his position.

That said, I don't think the OEM trigger is all that bad. Maybe it's all the old guns I have shot, maybe it's the Keltec pistols...but the HP trigger is more than adequate, IMHO.
The HP trigger feels like a 'mil-spec' trigger after a week in the field.

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually, I had put the original sear spring on the mat I was working on, and apparently either knocked it off accidentally or it rolled off on its own. *poof* Gone. I have a little wooden cigar box that I kept all of the original parts in - except that one. Hi-Point was gracious enough to send me a replacement (I have NEVER seen customer service like theirs) and, after polishing the parts and lubing them (and with a great deal of cursing at the difficulty of reassembling the thing) got everything back together. Slightly better than it originally was, but a whole lot safer. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, though. I'll let y'all know how that goes.

You threw the original part away? That's completely foolish. If they're not broken, always keep your original parts for every firearm. If for no other reason than it raises the resale value if you ever decide to get rid of it.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
25,876 Posts
Actually, I had put the original sear spring on the mat I was working on, and apparently either knocked it off accidentally or it rolled off on its own. *poof* Gone. I have a little wooden cigar box that I kept all of the original parts in - except that one. Hi-Point was gracious enough to send me a replacement (I have NEVER seen customer service like theirs) and, after polishing the parts and lubing them (and with a great deal of cursing at the difficulty of reassembling the thing) got everything back together. Slightly better than it originally was, but a whole lot safer. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, though. I'll let y'all know how that goes.
You should have just told him "literacy rocks" go back and read it again :rotfl:

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You should have just told him "literacy rocks" go back and read it again :rotfl:
Aw... I think of you all as friends and knowledgeable users of these firearms, whereas I'm a noob. If you want to talk black powder, well, that's something I'm a little more comfortable with. But I'm not going to diss anyone here. Not my style. You all have experience I can learn and benefit from.

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
my mcarbo spring upgrade kit on my kel-tec p11 works great.
I'm glad it does. But a HP carbine is a different amminal. And what the HP tech told me scared the crud out of me. I've shot original War Between the States rifle muskets with 12-15# trigger pull, and once I got used to it did reasonably well. The reduction of a couple of pounds with the MCARBO spring just wasn't worth the potential drama.

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
my mcarbo spring upgrade kit on my kel-tec p11 works great.
The blessing and the curse of a HiPoint are the simplicity of its design.
Replacing the sear spring on a HiPoint is not the same as replacing a trigger spring on a different gun design.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts