Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to give you guys a heads up about a problem with toshiba laptops ive gotten burned on. Toshiba laptops have a flaw in the lid deisgn that allows the screens to break with only minor handling of the corners of the screen. ive broken two screens in the last six weekas on new computers simply by closing the lids. if you push/handle/grab the corners of the lids in any way the screen has a very high chance of breakage. if you call toshiba customer service they WILL NOT tell you this. i found it out after a tshiba service center tech showed me an internal toshiba service memo about it. toshiba knows they have a problem from the factory but still refuses to warranty screen damaged by a faulty design. i spent close to 1000$ on screens and shipping charges to move laptops back and forth after screen failures because toshiba refuses to sell service parts to individuals.

The tech told me the ONLY safe way to handle a toshiba lid is to only touch it in the center of the front of the lid where teh webcams are placed as there is extra reinforcement in that area.

just wanted to give you a heads up as toshibas are about teh only value priced mid to high end laptops that are worth a crap anymore and there are TONS of them out there. be careful guys, LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE!

SW

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Just bought my wife a new Satellite a few hours ago. What model is yours, SW? Does it matter the model. My wife, though a very gentile southern woman, can be hard on appliances. I am VERY concerned she might break hers and I don't have money to repair it. Does the 1 year warranty not cover such things?

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! I bought a Toshiba Satellite last year and I've had great service from it so far. I certainly don't want to screw it up by a little simple mishandling.

One thing that bothers me about the screen is that it's developed some weird "spots" on the edges. I don't know how to explain it but they are translucent "spots" on the edges of the screen that are more annoying than anything else. It's like if you dropped a Frito on a piece of paper and the grease soaks into the paper. It doesn't affect the readability but you can definitely see the spot.

If you have any idea what causes this, I'm curious to hear the cause. I'll probably never get it fixed unless it impedes visibility or is a free fix.

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
That's weird I treat my laptop like crap and it hasn't done that...

·
Registered
223 Posts
The wife and I have had two Dells and Two Toshiba's and now we just bought to more Dells to replace the Toshiba's. My Toshiba worked flawless for 3 years with many drops and picking it up by the lid/screen and so did my Dell. My wife's Toshiba is on it's last leg with over heating problems and the USB plugs going out. It was only 2 years old. We replace every 2 to 3 years as that seems to be the life of them. However my old dell is still being used by my father in-law and it's going on 5 years old. All in All they are pretty equal. I went back with dell because I had some problems with the case on my Toshiba, it did not effect how the computer worked but it cracked in one place.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts