Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently acquired my first Hi-Point secondhand, and in the effort to give it a deep clean before taking it to the range for the first time. I popped open the pin that keeps everything together (At a size smaller than 1/8 since 1/8 would mar the plastic).

What looked a little funny from the angles that I could see started to look pretty nasty for someone seeing this part of the firearm for the first time in detail.

The tendency for cartridges to "nosedive" probably caused the wear at the feed ramp to occur, but something else that I was unable to see earlier caught my eye and had me pretty worried.
IsthisBad1.JPG

My initial impression is that this looks like marring from reaming out the rear of the barrel during manufacture. I doubt brass and lead would potentially cause that much deformation from normal use.

IsthisBad3.JPG

Another possibility is that someone did this to the barrel themselves. That, honestly, would be not a good thing.

IsthisBad2.JPG

Is this thing that looks kind of like damage normal? Or is this something to ask Strassel about?

·
Administrator
24,598 Posts
The wear on the feed ramp is normal and not from nosediving. The finish is wearing off from use. Same with the finish on the back of the breech block. It's a ramp, it's supposed to guide the round to the chamber. HP will polish that finish off if there's a feed issue they can't solve by tweaking the magazines.

Those striations you're seeing are more than likely factory. They are evenly spaced and perfectly parallel along the circumference of the opening. The QC from Hi Point isn't like the fit and finish of a Les Baer custom. They're a little rough...

Take her out for a spin, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The wear on the feed ramp is normal and not from nosediving. The finish is wearing off from use. Same with the finish on the back of the breech block. It's a ramp, it's supposed to guide the round to the chamber. HP will polish that finish off if there's a feed issue they can't solve by tweaking the magazines.

Those striations you're seeing are more than likely factory. They are evenly spaced and perfectly parallel along the circumference of the opening. The QC from Hi Point isn't like the fit and finish of a Les Baer custom. They're a little rough...

Take her out for a spin, you'll be fine.
That's a relief! Thank you!

I'm just thankful that Hi-Point Barrels do a pretty good job with supporting the case overall. Not exactly as supportive as a competition piece or a revolver, but at least it's not a Glock.

The first three numbers of my serial are P07, would that narrow down its date of manufacture any?

·
Administrator
24,598 Posts
That's a relief! Thank you!

I'm just thankful that Hi-Point Barrels do a pretty good job with supporting the case overall. Not exactly as supportive as a competition piece or a revolver, but at least it's not a Glock.

The first three numbers of my serial are P07, would that narrow down its date of manufacture any?
Not really. Others may have more insight though. Finding the "born on date" isn't really a frequent topic with us here.

Reactions: moona11

·
Premium Member
21,307 Posts
I am seeing what you are seeing OP. Looks a little like you got a Bubba custom in some ways. The ramp isn't steel,it's Zamack. Looks like it met with a Dremel.

If it feeds fine run it. It's weird how it is marked up at the top like the ramp. The carbines can have issues with 147gr due to over all length because the tip can jam up at the top. I wonder if the pistols have the same issue? So Bubba watched a video on youtube and started notching it. :p

Run it and see what happens.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I am seeing what you are seeing OP. Looks a little like you got a Bubba custom in some ways. The ramp isn't steel,it's Zamack. Looks like it met with a Dremel.

If it feeds fine run it. It's weird how it is marked up at the top like the ramp. The carbines can have issues with 147gr due to over all length because the tip can jam up at the top. I wonder if the pistols have the same issue? So Bubba watched a video on youtube and started notching it. :p

Run it and see what happens.
If this was in fact modified by a Bubba, would that void the warranty for it? How could I send them photos to their customer service line to double check?

I know that there's a limit to what their warranty covers but I really, REALLY hope that doesn't push it over the edge. Besides, I was not the one that made the modification.

Other than some wear of the powder-coat in obvious areas on the body, this peice seems to be in good shape.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another thing that I had noticed that made dissasembly a little difficult was that the safety/hold-open was bent a tiny bit forward, which meant that the punch was difficult to align to get the pin out.

Would just bashing the thing back into shape a teeny bit be the order of the day? Or, is it too small of an issue to bother Strassel and friends?

·
Administrator
24,598 Posts
Another thing that I had noticed that made dissasembly a little difficult was that the safety/hold-open was bent a tiny bit forward, which meant that the punch was difficult to align to get the pin out.

Would just bashing the thing back into shape a teeny bit be the order of the day? Or, is it too small of an issue to bother Strassel and friends?
That's how they're made. That way the pin can never fully walk out without human intervention.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Administrator
24,598 Posts
If this was in fact modified by a Bubba, would that void the warranty for it? How could I send them photos to their customer service line to double check?

I know that there's a limit to what their warranty covers but I really, REALLY hope that doesn't push it over the edge. Besides, I was not the one that made the modification.

Other than some wear of the powder-coat in obvious areas on the body, this peice seems to be in good shape.
The warranty is lifetime and stays with the firearm, not the owner. You didn't get a bubba'ed gun. Feel free to ignore the other guy who said you did. He got beat up on another post and he's just being argumentative.

·
Premium Member
6,859 Posts
Don't worry about what the other guy indicated about Bubba and a Dremel. Ignore his comments about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts