Water storage.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lcback, May 17, 2015.

1. Anyone fills jugs and store the water yourself?

The reason I'm asking:
    It will be a year since we have moved into our new home next week. We have well water
    Last year the water was great until august. When it turned reddish brown. Had it tested and and they said it's safe to drink just had a high iron content. Most options were over $2,000 to fix it. So I made the family tough it out. And by October the water cleared up again.
    I have a feeling this could be a yearly thing as the water tables drop and rise summer to fall. So while we're buying bottled water jugs to drink I saved them all. Hoping I can refill them my self and store them.

So as the summer approches. Is there any reason water cannot be stored in plastic jugs right from my faucet?
    I plan to keep them in the basement if that makes any difference.

2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I do actually, but not on the scale you're looking at I don't believe. I bought half a dozen 4 gallon jugs from Sam's Club for my water cooler. Once they were empty, I just started filling them myself. Wash them out really well before you refill them if they have sat exposed to the open air for a while, and keep them in a cool place out of direct sunlight to reduce the release of BPA and you'll be fine.

3. Thanks Rachgier I better a giant bottle of dawn dish soap this weekend

4. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I used some 8-gallon storage containers that were designed specifically for long-term storage, when I was in Kaliforniastan, for earthquake prep. Used water just would probably work as well, too. The thing to keep in mind, though, is preventing microbial growth in the water that you use. This video is one of many that you can watch for techniques to use for water preservation:

How To Store Emergency Water In Milk Jugs (SHTF): https://youtu.be/taxoMIYfPZI

I recommend using this video as your starting point and then checking out the others that come out below it.

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    The gallon water jugs and milk jugs aren't very good, as the plastic breaks down relatively fast, flavoring the water, or even leaking.

But the clear plastic soda and fruit juice bottles, and the heavier plastic water jugs, usually blue or white, are fine.

You just need to clean them with very, very hot water and a bit of soap, and rinse very, very well. I like to add some unscented straight bleach to my rinse.

Then, you can add a bit of straight chlorine bleach to your water as well. Here's some info.

[B][/B]http://www.superprepper.com/water-storage/storing-tap-water/
    "Raising the Chlorine Levels – Raising the chlorine levels is relatively easy and can be done with regular store bought liquid bleach. When you buy bleach for this purpose make sure that the active ingredient is sodium hypochlorite (NaOCI) with a concentration of between 5.25% and 6%. It is also critical to ensure that it is standard bleach with NO additives (such as scented bleach). Some manufactures add Sodium Hydroxide as an active ingredient as well. This additional active ingredient is safe and will not pose any health risk when purifying water.

Add a maximum of 16 drops of bleach per gallon
    (Note: 16 drops is roughly equivalent to 1/8 teaspoon)"

6. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

What about a 50 gallon drum and make a filter for your drinking water?

7. Think1st

Florida
    That would work. The filter would obviate the need for any treatment, prior to storage, and it would also obviate the need to rotate stocks. A simple pre-filtering mechanism would remove any heavy particulates such as algae, and the main filter would purify that even further.

8. That's a great idea. I'll have to see if i can find some food grade barrels. I don't know if i would need any extra filtering, all the water goes through two before my faucet.

Would be easier to store than all these wobbly jugs.

... heheh wobbly jugs :eek:

9. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I like wobbly jugs....

10. Think1st

Florida
    More like bouncy jugs...

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I've never been able to get water out of wobbly or bouncy jugs.

But it's fun trying.:p

12. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

i store extra water in used milk/OJ jugs. I only use the water to flush my toilet if my water pump freezes in the winter.

13. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
  14. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

With all the crud that they put in water I use a counter top filter(Big Berkey) and filter even my tap water. It is capable of filtering any water source including rainwater.

If your iron content is that high it makes me wonder if it is suspended solids that a whole house filter could cut down. They are cheap(under $50 usually) and not that hard to install.

15. I have two inline filters. one 15 micron, and one 10 micron.

During most of the year that works out just fine. for some reason in the late summer it didn't. I found some 1 micron filters last year, and it made the water clear but only worked for 3 days before it was full

16. rippinryno

rippinryno Well-Known Member

bury a 500 gallong water holding tank if yu're really wanting to do it right. we also live on a well, actually it's tapped into an aquafer. Our water has an odor and taste, our inside system elimates this but anything out of a spicket outside will have this odor and taste, which i don't mind at all.

17. Django

Django Member

I have a chest style deepnfreezer for water storage. I have used plastic containers (Tupperware or whatever). It gives me a supply of cold drinking water, reduces the power consumption of the freezer when its not full and mitigates temp drop during a power outage. If the water supplied to my house is not safe for consumption, my 60 gallon water heater is my resource for gray water. As a side note, washing machines can consume 40 gallons of water in 1 load.

18. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

Go to Emergency Essential's site for 15, 30 or 55 gallon water barrels. Or, use their large capacity water tanks of 160 gallons.

They also provide filters, water purifiers, siphons, pumps and hoses.

www.beprepared.com

Their shipping charges are very reasonable too.

eldar

19. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

Find a cheap hot tub. One with an ozonator built in. With a hot tub, you have a built in filter and purifier. Throw in some chlorine one a week and you're good to go with 200 to 400 gals of clean water. Used ones are cheap on craigslist.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  20. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    [​IMG]

:rofl: