Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Banned
7,068 Posts
It's raining, it was raining yesterday, and the day before. It was raining last week, the week before that, and the week before that. It's going to rain tomorrow. It's always raining. The cess pools are backing up and they are seeping up through the ground everywhere you go. You walk across the yard and sink up to your ankles. Trees are falling down and knocking out the power. The local car lots are selling Arks , Zero down and zero interest, 60 months to pay.

Did I say it's raining?
Well, ya could have all the snow we have had here lately. And, the 0 and sub 0
temps for the next couple of days. Got accumulation of about 13" of snow right now. More for Tuesday it seems. I will see what I can do to send it to the SE instead of straight East. Then you won't sink into the sxxx when you walk in your yard. :D

· Banned
7,068 Posts
eh, it's winter in New England and... what's this? Snow, OMG!
Eh, big deal. Wake me when it's over, I'll fire up the snowblower and be done in no time.
Yep, that's what I did this morning. Hooked the power cord to the snowblower and fired it up. Away went the snow.

· Banned
7,068 Posts
Warming up here
I guessed pretty close when I said -38. At 7:00 this AM it was -37. Wife said at 6:00 she read -38.
Had to take her to cancer treatment today. 60 miles one way on I-80. There were 10 semis on the side on the flats going West bound. On the East bound lanes there were close to 30. We lost count. Coming home we looked at the tractors and some of the trailers. Same as we see each year when it gets down low on temps. Southern trucks it seems are the main problem. Hoods up on nearly all of them. Usual culprits here in the winter. They never seem to learn. A very few we can't tell where from. You know, the JB and Schneider trucks. But the trailers with furniture companies from North Carolina were well represented. Had trailers with Century, Klauseanxx?, and Broyhill on them. We see some of them every year when it gets cold. There was another furniture company truck from Tennessee, but we don't remember that name right now. Visibility was so bad this afternoon that most semis were only running 45 mph with a few at 55 tops. Over 1/2 running with 4 ways on.

· Banned
7,068 Posts
Not good here at all. Thunder Ice Storms. Yea, really. Getting a lot of ice. NWS says .25 inch tonight and .1 inch tomorrow, .1 inch tomorrow night, .1 inch Wednesday and .1 Inch Wednesday night, and .1" Thursday.

· Banned
7,068 Posts
F u c k ing cold out
Same down here right now. About 7 above but dropping . They are saying -10 degrees tonight. Lower possible in low areas. Like our little valley. But hey, we gonna go to 9 above for a high tomorrow. Or, so they tell us. Brrrrrrrrr

· Banned
7,068 Posts
My little town is sand bagging today. The Mississippi River is historically only at the 7.9 foot stage on this date. Right now it is at 18.05 foot and still rising slowly.
Can any of you in Minnesota and Wisconsin tell me if there is still a lot of snow to melt up there? Especially in any watershed that ends up in the Mississippi. I know the majority of all Minnesota water comes down here in the Mississippi.

This is not even our flood season just yet. But Davenport, Iowa has a lot of water in the down town business area. They are holding it right now to prevent more serious spreading. My little town just south of there went to work sand bagging big time today. Not looking good at all.

· Banned
7,068 Posts
Gasoline is in short supply here due to the Cumberland River being up. The tugboats can't get under some of the bridges. Exxon last I heard was out. A large part of our fuel is brought in on barges. A gas hauler friend had to pull some loads out of Chattanooga to supply the stores.
It may get even worse for the tows pushing those barges. The Ohio currents were getting risky to navigate a couple of weeks ago. And yes, those bridges are very low ones. A couple of friends of mine on another board run that Cumberland an awfully lot. One is a boat Chief Engineer. He told me the other night they are really putting stress on their engines fighting that current. Too many hours running at maximum HP. His company may have to start pulling some boats out of service for that and safety reasons.

Up here in my little town called Buffalo, Ingram Barge lines have several big boats shut down and tied up at a local Fleeting Company Terminal.

· Banned
7,068 Posts
I still have 4+ feet of snow in spots. Farm fields are about 50% covered still too... Rapid melting last night because the low was 38 did not help matters.
I was afraid of that Mary. I don't for some reason think you are that far North of the Iowa line either. The Mississippi went up another full foot last night and today. At 19.05 foot right now. Still slowly rising.

· Banned
7,068 Posts
Melt here runs to the MN river then the Mississippi at the Twin Cities so a LOT of water is headed your way..

"Ice jams caused flash flooding along some Minnesota rivers over the weekend, while sandbagging efforts continued along others as water levels kept rising.

Sandbagging: Getting ready for the rising water | Red River: Fargo, Moorhead ramp up flood preparations | Twin Cities: More road closures | Southwest Minnesota: State of emergency in Marshall
More than 40 people were evacuated from a riverside restaurant near St. Cloud on Saturday night after a flash flood along the Sauk River - a flood apparently caused by an ice jam, one of many along Minnesota waterways in the past couple weeks.

The St. Cloud Times reported several fire departments used boats to evacuate diners from Anton's Restaurant in Waite Park after the flooding started at about 7:30 p.m."

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/03/24/minnesota-flood-roundup
It appears we down here haven't even seen the peak of it yet. Just hope to hell it isn't going to equal the 1993 records. But, if any appreciable amounts of rain come down for the next month, we may get it Mary.

· Banned
7,068 Posts
It was misting, and foggy yesterday. Freezing mist/freezing fog. Almost hit 30. Today it went the same, just heavier, and colder.

Fired up the dually today. Hadn't started it since a couple of days after New Years. It snorted right to life. I put the battery on my 3 amp trickle charger afterwards. Don't want it to freeze.

The sleet/freezing rain started at 8pm. Prediction is 7-8 hours of that. Then the snow will start. Looking at "wintery mix" for most of tomorrow then snow on top of that. I expect the power to go out at some point. I have my 2 burner "Ozark Trail" stove out in the shop that runs off of the small propane cans. There is a Coleman lantern that does the same thing too. Also have a big Rubbermaid tub full of votive, and tea candles. Other miscellaneous candles.

No central heat. It died in 2012. I have my trusty 32,000btu infrared heater that is keeping the inside of the house at a balmy 78*. It works whether there is electricity or not. As long as they keep pumping natural gas through the pipeline. ;) My humidity inside according to my dehumidifier is 30% and it hasn't kicked on in days. It's 90-100% outside :confused: I can't figure that one out. Plus the freezing rain with 17* right now.

Electric water heater. I have some big buckets to fill and use to bathe with it the power goes out. I can warm them in front of the heater, add some boiled water to them.

I can move the freezer foods to one of the cars. Not supposed to be over freezing until Thursday.
Awwwwww. You poor boy. It's winter Trashy. Any thing can happen.
But yea, been cold here for some time now. Any where from -17 degrees low at night to a high of about 4 the next day at the most. It is just winter and we pretty much ignore it. Now, we stay home if it is a blizzard/white out. Otherwise we just go about things normally.

· Banned
7,068 Posts
Oh yes. This will be remembered as "The Great Storm of '21." For years folks will be reminiscing about where they were during this time. In 9 months babies will be born with names like "Storm", "Snow", and "Ice." In some places power has been out for minutes!!
Wife is getting pictures from some of her friends in Dallas this afternoon. Ice and snow.
Yes. But not enough to worry about here. Drive slow and easy and I don't see the problem. I've been in Dallas a few times in the Winter over the decades. For me, it was easy driving. I just didn't try to drive 70mph plus on the Interstates with ice and a bit of snow on top. Locals there have no common sense on this type of driving as far as I am concerned.

· Banned
7,068 Posts
Oh yeah, car accidents all over yesterday. Today everything is closed so not as many. Most everything will also be closed tomorrow. I do have to venture out for a few things but I have AWD so not so bad.
AWD works great for me. In deep snow I can switch to 4WD on my Hyundai SUV. And I don't have snow tires even. Slow speed in this type of weather if you have to go out is
what we do.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts