Weaver mount and Truglo red dot on Mossberg 500

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by tallbump, Sep 11, 2014.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Going to try to make my Mossberg 500A work for a deer gun.

My 500 had no mounting system for any type of scope. Did a little research and came across this-

Weaver No-Gunsmith Converta Shotgun Mount - Mossberg 500

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00162QKT6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Price was right and it had excellent reviews. I got it yesterday and mounted it this morning. It is as easy as easy can be. I had it on in less than 10 minuets, and I am probably as far from a gunsmith as possibly can be. It comes with everything you need, except a flat head screwdriver to remove the screw inside the receiver.

Here's a few crappy cell phone pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Your right those are crappy pictures.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Great. Now if you can just keep from shooting...I mean recoiling your eye out, you'll be GTG for deer.;)

If you aren't clear on what I mean, look up scope bite, learn from other people's mistakes.:p

4. tallbump

I put the scope pretty far forward...that was the main reason...

[​IMG]

5. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

...and rather chappy lighting ;)

6. tallbump

That's harsh....:D

I tried to clean them up a bit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. I am on the short side. Always have been. So my first rifle with a scope. Was a Weatherby vanguard. In .308. I got bit more than a few times. But my dad insisted I needed to see far to shoot. I don't know why but I would shoot that thing until I had big blue lump before going inside for the night. Nothing blew up water jugs and pumpkins like it did for me.

8. planosteve

I fixed it, I was walking down the hall at work typing on my phone, cut me some slack.;)

9. planosteve

Is that just a set screw on the upper left side? If so it looks like it will work on my Stevens.

10. tallbump

The one on the left (if you're pointing the gun away from you) is actually a screw that goes through the receiver.

It's the one circled in yellow here

[​IMG]

On the other side, you pop out and replace the trigger assembly srcew, circled in yellow here

[​IMG]

This video shows the install process...

(please feel free to ignore the dramatic tacti-cool intro)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAyQodoedHg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAyQodoedHg[/ame]

11. planosteve

Well it looks like it won't work on mine. No big deal

12. fatal-bert33

fatal-bert33 Member

Mine is a bedroom gun so I mounted a laser and a flashlight to a Weaver rail.

Attached Files:

13. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Should make a fine deer getter. Obviously will not have a problem with eye relief. Another option if the red Dot does not work for you might try a Simmons Pro Diamond shotgun scope. I like them for deer, turkey and those evil skwerls.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  14. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Walked in to the the lgs yesterday to see a mossy 500 with a 4x scope mounted on it. Came with the smooth bore and rifled barrels for $200.

15. tallbump

WOw, that's a pretty decent deal

16. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, too bad the woman was with me. I damn near got swatted on the nose with a rolled up magazine.

17. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I've never let a beating slow me down.....

18. beaglenc

beaglenc Member

That'll work to 50 or so yrds from my experience with the 500. The issue is the "slop" in the barrel fit to the receiver. There is only so much accuracy you can get with that limitation.
    I just did a "quick" armslist search for "500 rifled barrel" and saw more than I expected of the cantilever barrels for sale for $80 and less. Which means they are out there. Save up some coin and find one of those and you will have a 100yrd gun.
    I do also have an iron sighted smooth barrel that has taken its share of deer in yrs past.
    But when Mossberg came out with the scope mounted barrel set up in the late 80's( maybe 1990) I got one and it has put more deer on the ground than all my other set ups combined.
    Keep in mind my 500 action is from '74, or '75 and I have used it in all its configurations since that time. Duck, turkey, small game, big game.
    I could load and change shells in that gun in the dark with one hand tied behind my back.....in my sleep. :)

19. tallbump

I will definitely look for the rifled barrel. Didn't know you get get the used ones so cheap. New, they are a little over $200.

Of course, the cantilevered scope mount wold leave my new Weaver mount unnecessary.

Guess I could always grab a turkey barrel and use the mount and red dot for that

20. tallbump

Had a chance to shoot it yesterday. After 10 rounds I was good to go. Didn't get any pics of the targets, but I am satisfied.

I just need to make sure I can stabilize the thing. I was shooting freehand. Did pretty good considering, but I didn't have any cloverleafs either.

I don't know if I should do a bi pod set up of put a sling on it.

Leaning on doing a sling and using the hold where you use the sling to help stabilize it. I forget what that's called.

That will make for a slower follow up shot since it's a pump...but I imagine with the roar of a 12 gauge I may not get a second shot LOL