Weekly wipe down cleaning/inspection-rust in the barrel?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by MotorCraftGT, Sep 13, 2014.

1. MotorCraftGT

MotorCraftGT Member

I do a weekly wipe down and inspection to avoid any corrosion. This week I just happened to look inside the tip of the barrel and noticed brown color in the groves.

The barrel has less than 200 rounds through it and of course with non-corrosive ammunition. I seriously don’t think its rust since there are other parts of the barrel that are missing the coating and the metal is still shiny. Does HP use a coating in their barrels that turns brown? Thanks.

2. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I have not heard that one before?

3. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

My guess would be copper fouling mixed with the residue from the powder in your ammo.

4. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I have noticed on some of mine that when I use some European ammo I get a brown residue when I clean and I know it is not rust. I do not get it when using US ammo. I wonder if it is something in the powder or primer.

5. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    I got some of that in my SKS shooting cheap ass ammo. It might be some kind of filler they mix with the powder???? Can't remember what brand it was.

6. MotorCraftGT

MotorCraftGT Member

I used 50 rds of Tula and about 150 rds of Wolf.

7. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Tula's some dirty assed ammo.

8. Ain't that the truth! My Sig 938 doesn't like Tula very much - but my C9 eats it and doesn't complain at all.

9. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

It's copper fouling

I had the same issue with my JCP 40 - medium brown residue in the grooves. It took about 10 passes with a brass (not nylon) bore brush plus several pads soaked with Hoppes No. 9 to remove it all. It doesn't create an accuracy issue unless it builds to a ridiculous level.

10. MotorCraftGT

MotorCraftGT Member

Thanks, I will try that. Would running domestic ammunition fix it too?

11. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

Copper fouling

If memory serves, it was a result of using domestic ammo, either WWB or Remington. I haven't shot any steel cased ammo through it, although I have a lot of the stuff.