Well My Chippa 1911-22 is out of commission .

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by dirt_19, Nov 7, 2015.

1. dirt_19

dirt_19 Supporting Member

Well Ran about 70 more rounds through my chiappa 1911-22 "total count unknown less than 1,000 rounds total" and it began to have rounds hanging up on the ramp right below the flange that is part of the barrel . A dimple / Groove has worn into the ramp on the left. Already contacted Chiappa . I don't expect to hear from them till next week but Figured there may be a few who would be interested to know about my issue .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  2. gasman42

gasman42 Member

NC
    I have the same gun.. I looked at mine.. I don't see a dimple wearing in it.. that looks like a jam smash? The gun is made out of alloy and pot metal I think? I hope they fix it for you.. I've got about 2000 though mine. So far been a good gun

3. dirt_19

It is definatly made from something that ain't magnetic . All I really know is it wasn't there before when I cleaned it and put it away and it's there after less than 2 boxes of ammo . I can't get a photo that shows the roughness . It actually shows up shiny in the photo below . It seems to go all the way across . Looking at it again I do wonder if a crack or something similar occurred and a piece finally vacated its location . So it may be from a previous jam I think that may make the most sense .

Attached Files:

4. gasman42

gasman42 Member

NC
    I agree with you.. That's probably what happen.. When I first got mine.. I polished the feed ramp.. And filed a little where it leads into the chamber to help prevent the smash jams.. The metal seemed very soft.. I paid $200 for mine.. That a lot of money for just a 1000 rounds.. I hope they make it right for you..

5. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I have a Chiappa M1 22lr & a Chiappa M1 9mm. The 22lr has to use the 40grain HV ammo. The standard ammo doesn't have enough power to push the old cartridge out of the chamber. My GSG's are the same way? And I don't use lead tipped 22lr ammo in them either?

6. My GSG 1911 is the same way. It will only cycle HV 22lr and the lead tipped bullets jam all the time. I just stick with Mini Mags when I can find em..

7. Kiln

Kiln Member

Chiappa's super secret alloy is zamak, just like Hi Points and Jimenez Arms guns. Their mags are also cheap plastic. I dislike them because like the Umarex guns, they should cost $200 at the absolute most because of their construction.

For $300 you can pick up a Ruger 22/45 or two JA22's (probably better guns IMO) and a box of ammo. You could also pick up a GSG 1911 stryle .22 that is basically the same but with metal mags and a lifetime warranty.

For what it's worth the damage looks pretty minor. If they won't fix it you can most likely fix it yourself by polishing the ramp with a very soft dremel head or some extremely light sand paper. Just take it slow if you go that route, a gentle hand will solve your problem but if you get too carried away and get rough on it it'll be scrap metal.

8. dirt_19

Well Got a response from Chiappa today . They gave me a service order # so I can send it in .:dance: BAd news is they expect me to pay for shipping to them I'm looking at about a $42.00 bill for UPS to ship my $203.29 after tax pistol :bang: . So I'm going to LGS tomorrow to see how much they would charge me to ship a pistol I didn't buy from them . Sad thing is dayton is around 2 1/2 hours away and the gas for a round trip would be cheaper .

It seems that material is missing from the ramp and from behind the lip of the flange of the barrel . I do think It could be fixed with a rounded punch to reseat the flare and maybe some form of epoxy to fill the missing material before reshaping the feed ramp . I wish I could get a better picture.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  9. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Here's my fuzzy reasoning:
    If the gun had not malfunctioned you would have spend that amount on ammo.
    So either way the money's gone.
    Left hand, right hand, 6 of one and half a dozen of the other...

Besides that's the giant Cosmic Karma Wheel getting back at you for buying a 1911 in 22lr...:p

10. dirt_19

You do speak truth SWAGA .

11. SWAGA

[​IMG]

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Of course, the gun snobs will tell you, if you'd have invested a bit more money up front, you'd be saving money now.:rolleyes:

They ignore the other 100 guys that will never have to send theirs in.:cool:

13. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    But w/o the enjoyment of shooting :p

:wah: Fixed it for ya J. SwaggertZ :D

Hope you get it fixered, Dirt! :)

14. SWAGA

$42....that's two lap dances ( and a tip )or a brick of 22's....
    I know what I would choose....

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  15. colthrash

colthrash Member

i thought you said you had enough 22 ammo??

16. SWAGA

I don't do 22..pun intended..:D

17. undeRGRound

INDY
    Seeing how I have more that a "few bricks" (I'm in the league under Plano Steve)
    ;) Meet you at the strip club, SwagzY? :D

18. dirt_19

Well got the 1911-22 back yesterday . Seems they replaced the extractor and spring . They also at least re-seated the barrel if not replaced it . Seems to be functioning flawlessly as far as hand cycling . Guess I'll run a brick through when I get a chance to see how it holds up .

The nose dragging to the left makes sense since the extractor is holding on the right .

19. dirt_19

Well kinda forgot about this thread and thought a update was in order . I have shot the 1911-22 a bit "150 rounds " since i got it back and it has preformed very well with no issues . I do have a bit of a lingering trust issue with it and have been using the Phoenix hp22 I purchased for pest control. But I am happy to have it back .

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  20. undeRGRound

INDY
    Is that all the shoooting I have been hearing lately??? :D