Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so here is what I was thinking about last night. My main plan is to get to my parents house is some kind of situation happened. They have well water being that city water doesn't make it there. Fine and dandy, but what happens when there is no power? Has anyone ever thought of getting water from there well manually? How would one go about making a pump to do so?

·
Registered
313 Posts
heck man..on the farm i grew up on we had 5 different wells. 3 had submersible pumps..though with no electric that does not work.

BUT

our other 2 wells ...one had the old school manual pump mounted up top...drum roll..................

the other one

A bucket and a rope ;)

Simple and effective :p

lol my sister and I used to have these mini challenges to see who could drop the bucket just right and get an instant fill-up

Now ..those cheap 1 gallon plastic buckets like for mopping are no good, they do not last long and you will see the handle break after about 20 trips down the well.

5 gallon buckets rock but in a survival setting that is a lot of energy imo to be pulling 40 pounds from 20+ feet.

Metal buckets though any size are the best..you could even set it right at your fire and boil the water in it. You may need to get past the "metallic" taste but well that is a little flavor to the well water

·
1,792 Posts
Good thinking however I am sure you already thought up a few ways to get the water before your post.

I will take a stab at it as well.

Um, generator, Some fancy Lawnmower conversion, uh, break down and use a garden hose and some lung power> I don't know bout that one<

A car and a 110v converter, And of course a stop of at the local farm store in advance and get a hand pump.

Oh, Kid power, if you have any, and parents house eh, sounds like you may be the kid power LOL

Now My Granpa has a small well he uses to water his garden and it is powered by a small windmill that sucks up enough water the gravity feed the water down on the garden.

The pump pumps the water to an open wood tank that has a tap to drain the water, the water flows threw the garden like a MINI creek to dampen the soil.

SHTF this could be used as drinking water. Sterilization and filtration being needed for his water I would think??

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
heck man..on the farm i grew up on we had 5 different wells. 3 had submersible pumps..though with no electric that does not work.

BUT

our other 2 wells ...one had the old school manual pump mounted up top...drum roll..................

the other one

A bucket and a rope ;)

lol my sister and I used to have these mini challenges to see who could drop the bucket just right and get an instant fill-up
I have well water and without power out in the country your whole lifestyle is useless. You have to convert back to the old days when there was no electric.

But to stay on subject we have2 wells ones electric and the others a manual with a pump you have to pump for about 30 minutes to get a single drop then another 30 minutes to get it to actualy flow water. Our well is really deep if you wanted to get down there you would have to have another well drilled.

The only thing I can think of is get a gas/deisel powered generator or a heavy heavy duty battery to hook up to your excisting pump to make it function as if the power never went out in the first place..

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
man i grew up on well water and it sucked!!! taste wise!~ couldnt' wait for the Kool Aid!!
Hmm thats funny I actualy prefer the taste of well water over city water. It seems a little more pure than having to run through miles of calcium filled pipes. Plus around the specific town Im in if your getting city water its coming straight out of the city lake in wich has a small sewage run off. Of course it is filtered somewhat, but if you seen the lake it was coming out of you definately would not want to drink it.

Some times of the year they put out an advisory not to drink the city water because of the toxicity levels in the water..

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
your in luck man, i happen to be a pump tech for a residential pump and well company, LOL.

so heres a few solutions to your problem.

1. the brand is called simple pump. its a hand pump device that will actually pump pressure. im pretty sure its the only one that will pump pressure.... you already have probably an captive air tank, or a galv tank. so you just hook the simple pump up to a hose bib on your house with a double female hose bib connector, then hand pump water into your house till your pressure gauge on your tank reads between 60 and 70 psi, and viola, you have pressurized water straight from your tap.

if you have a captive air tank, you can let it become completly empty b4 refilling with water. if its a galv tank with an air volume controller, you have to make sure to top the water off b4 the air reaches the level of the outgoing pipe, or you'll lose your air charge and not be able to use a compressor to refill your tank without electricity, unless your have a and operated air pump, LOL

2. with a generator, you just need to wire it up 230 volt straight to your control box. hots are labeled L1 and L2. ground is a green screw at the bottom. dont f*uck with the outgoing well wires at all. your water system will let it run till it fills your tank, then shut the control box off. then you manually shut off your generator. pain in the ass, but no manual pumping.

3. a company called grundfos makes a solar powered system....you can get a relatively powerful system for around $1500. it will pump 10gpm from about 130 ft. it even operates on cloudy days off of ultravoilet light. it just doesnt work at night, LOL.

if you really want specifics, id be happy to give you all the wire colors, and what they do. or direct you towards what you need to buy, LOL

wicked

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Good thinking however I am sure you already thought up a few ways to get the water before your post.

I will take a stab at it as well.

Um, generator, Some fancy Lawnmower conversion, uh, break down and use a garden hose and some lung power> I don't know bout that one<

generator, LOL.

A car and a 110v converter, And of course a stop of at the local farm store in advance and get a hand pump.

most submersible pumps operate on 230 volt. you can get them in 110v, but they cant pump from very deep. on average, depending on depth, you may need to draw between 10 and 30 amps....thats quite a bit for extended periods with a 110v converter.

Now My Grandpa has a small well he uses to water his garden and it is powered by a small windmill that sucks up enough water the gravity feed the water down on the garden.

The pump pumps the water to an open wood tank that has a tap to drain the water, the water flows threw the garden like a MINI creek to dampen the soil.

SHTF this could be used as drinking water. Sterilization and filtration being needed for his water I would think??

just buy a separate storage container, and have the well pump it directly into it. the water from the ground, depending on where you live is probably cleaner than the city water....but if not, you can use a few tablets of chlorine and sterlize it. dont go apesh*t with the tablets though, read the directions, LOL

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info. Was just a thing I was thinking about when I was asleep. Now I have some info I can put my mind to rest. Darn wandering mind. Never can it rest.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Wickedwd5000 ,
Could you please give more info on the simple pump ? Is there pictures ?
I have a deep well a little over 200 ft deep . I use a 4 " submersable pump and have a gen set that I have run the pump with . When the gas runs out I am planning on using a well bucket to slip down the pipe to get water , not much at a time , but still bringing up some water .
TIA
Spot

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts

BUT

the other one

A bucket and a rope ;)

I have well water and without power out in the country your whole lifestyle is useless. You have to convert back to the old days when there was no electric.

But to stay on subject we have2 wells ones electric and the others a manual with a pump you have to pump for about 30 minutes to get a single drop then another 30 minutes to get it to actualy flow water. Our well is really deep if you wanted to get down there you would have to have another well drilled.

The only thing I can think of is get a gas/deisel powered generator or a heavy heavy duty battery to hook up to your excisting pump to make it function as if the power never went out in the first place..
I think your pump needs the seals replaced. Even so you don't have to pump a long time if you have a little water to prime the pump with. Just pour a couple of cups in and start pumping fast. If the power is off get a little water out of the water heater to prime the pump with. Then don't use it all before you pump again.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
I'll take well water ANY day!! If you even smelt the water we get here [from Lake Lavon] you would gag. It smells and tastes like swamp water and has so many minerals in it it will react with aluminum very fast.
We have an old aluminum wash basin I use to soak my feet and in 15 minutes it left where the water was in it darker then the rest

·
Registered
476 Posts
Luckily my Amish neighbors have a windmill powered well pump and a hand pump .. If the SHTF Water would not be hard to come by there .. Plus if need be you can take an electric pump apart and remove the motor from the pump . Then put a hand crank on it .. It would take some work but water would trickle out .

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Wickedwd5000 ,
Could you please give more info on the simple pump ? Is there pictures ?
I have a deep well a little over 200 ft deep . I use a 4 " submersable pump and have a gen set that I have run the pump with . When the gas runs out I am planning on using a well bucket to slip down the pipe to get water , not much at a time , but still bringing up some water .
TIA
Spot
http://www.simplepump.com/

basically, its installed in your well alongside your normal submersible pump. its a 1" pvc pipe in 10' sections. its permanently mounted to the well seal, and can be used congruently with your submersible electric pump. you can get about 5gpm out of it (about what an average shower head puts out)

it will function up too 350ft, but 200ft is the average deepest depth you wanna use it.....basically anything deeper than 200 you'll have to pump your ass off, LOL.

these things work great. a sh*t ton of them were installed around 1999 (y2k scare), and everyone ive come in contact with is a decade old and functions like the day they installed it.

like i said b4, it pumps pressure, not just volume. so you can fill a captive air tank and use water in your house normally. most homes have a 119 gallon tank, but you really only have about 35 gallons of usable water. (the rest is air)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Plus if need be you can take an electric pump apart and remove the motor from the pump . Then put a hand crank on it .. It would take some work but water would trickle out .
most centrifugal pumps spin between 1800 & 3400 rpm. you'd have to have one hell of an arm to get any usable water with a hand crank, LOL.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Thanks for the reply and the link .
Spot

·
Registered
367 Posts
ill tell you about what us hillbillies have
my house in down in a haller and about 300 yards up hill and about 50 feet in elavation is a springwhere good clear and clean water bubbels upwh have a 8 foot concrete pipe sunkin the ground thare,with gravelunder and around itthere is a 2 in pvc pipe that goes in a hole in the pipe and turns down the pipe
goes down hill[buried] and reduces a few timesdown to 3\4 where it enters my home
we will always have water as long as the spring holds up we just are comeing out of the worst draught in living memory here in ga and we had no problems
something for yall to think about

1 - 20 of 26 Posts