Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was finally able to take my 4095 out shooting again for the first time since before summer started. It's as fun to shoot as ever. I got to try out some new addons...since I'd last shot it, I'd ordered two extra magazines, a buttpad (which holds two magazines), a hogue grip, and a brass catcher. I also remembered to bring along a flathead so I could sight in the red-dot. I'd also ordered some iron sights from Hi-Point but I was only able to put the front sight in, which did a better job of keeping the heat shield on than the compensator alone did. The rear sight I was not able to use because my gun's previous owner broke off a good chunk of the elevation screw. :/ Gotta order a new one. I did sight in the red-dot that came with my rifle and had a blast with it. Do those BSA things have 1/2moa or 1/4moa click adjustments? My densest group of holes was still just a little off, and I could adjust it to perfection without needing to go to the range if I knew that.
How did it go this time? Well...I need to tighten the compensator on better, although that's partially my fault for not having a better allen wrench handy than those fold-out ones where the plastic body breaks before you can torque stuff enough. The compensator flew off the end of gun a bit into shooting. :/ Had happened once before, actually...any tips for keeping that thing on, aside from getting a good 100% metal allen wrench and tightening it up until the tool screams in pain? It'll be especially needed now that the front sight is on and the compensator can't go on as far up.
The two new magazines wouldn't feed a single round. I figure they need to be broken in, so I loaded them all the way and stuck 'em under my bed, I'll see how they work again in two weeks.
The brass catcher was horrible. Putting aside the fact that it ended up resting a bit on my hand, it wouldn't stay OPEN and the brass just ended up getting stuck in the ejection port and jamming the rifle. I got so fed up that I just ripped it off and decided to put up with losing the brass.
And boy, was the ammunition pretty horrible...I don't know what kind it is, I know it's not a reload. It was a gift from my brother's father. It's headstamped R (dot) P, and the flat points had this odd raised circle in them. This stuff is the first ammo to ever jam in this rifle while using my good magazine. Prior, I've fired Magtech, Monarch, and WWB with no problems. The cases also came out RIDICULOUSLY dirty, with an odd bright circle around the case near the top, and many of them had a strange bulge in the case above that bright rim.
As far as the jams go, the new magazines had problems with the rounds getting stripped out, instead of going forward, the nose would dive down, the back would get jammed by the feed lips. I'd have to pull the bolt back and lock it, pull the magazine out, and then press the top round against a table to free it. This also happened a few times with the old magazine too, using only the R (dot) P headstamped ammunition. The stuck rounds ended up with hideous scratches on the sides, and the cartridge bases (And in one case, a primer) ended up getting pretty abused. The cases were not only overall dirtier than WWB I've shot but were pretty amazingly dirty on a particular 1/3 of the case, every single one of them, also opposite the side where that strange bright rim was brightest. I will be looking out for ammo with this headstamp in the future, and staying away from it.
Afterwards, I cleaned it. I used my usual technique, with one change, I used a .40/10mm spear-tip patch jag instead of the slotted one that comes in the CX4 cleaning kit. Whether because of that, or this horrible ammunition, I NEVER cleaned so much crap out of the barrel...after 150 patches, many double or triple-stacked, a few passes with brushes or patches dipped in solvent, the dry patches STILL weren't coming out clean, and the first ones were literally the dirtiest I had ever seen. I eventually gave up, sprayed a patch with rem-oil, ran it through the barrel, then put the carbine back together and called it a day.
What do you guys clean your barrels with? The long chamber-cleaning cable in the CX4 kit is just BARELY long enough to go chamber-to-muzzle, but straight cleaning rods can't go in right because of this weird metal thing behind and in line with the barrel.
I've got 200 rounds of WWB that I got today and it's all I have. I truly hope today's problems were because of the R (dot) P ammo and not the rifle itself, because I'm taking 2 people shooting with the carbine in the next few weeks and it will be incredibly embarrassing if my beloved carbine starts jamming all over the place.

P.S. I took some good pictures of the spent cases, and some WWB cases for comparison. Would anyone be interested in me posting them?

·
Registered
238 Posts
good read i am getting the 4095 also. ive seen alot of people on here with the 995 but seems not alot of 4095. and i wonder why since all ive heard is the 995 doesn't have the power (hardly) to kill a deer but a 4095 would. so Wat good would the 995 be unless for raccoons maybe small wolves coyotes. so i decided not to go with 995 but go with the 4095.and pardon my ignorance on (wwb) is that wolf ammo. if so then i would assume the jams could be caused by new mags mixed with the bad ammo. i have been told that speer gold dots were good ammo so i will try them wen i do get my gun . so i hope wen your friends come you have different ammo if it was wolf. well gl and look forward to the pics.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mr.40Cal:
The reason people have 9mm instead of .40 carbines is because the .40 carbines are nearly impossible to find. :) If they were actually available, you'd probably see more of them on the site.
WWB is the GOOD ammo I was referring to, and it stands for Winchester White Box (for the box it commonly comes in) and is about the cheapest ammo out there, at $30 for 100, and has so far fed through my carbine without a hitch.

Browsing around a bit on the internet, I believe the ammo I fired through my carbine today was Remington UMC. I will be staying as far away from this ammo in the future as possible. (As to why I can't be certain of the ID, I was given black trays with bullets in them, the person who gave them to me tends to throw away the boxes and store his ammo in the trays, don't ask me why.)

I've been looking through the Remington cases a little more...some of them have a very odd pattern where the bottom 1/3 of the cartridge is bright and clean, and the border between clean and dirty is the height of a seriously noticeable bulge. I took a picture and will show it with the rest later.

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
WWB is Winchester White Box Ammo.

Check out this sticky for other Abbreviations you may need.
http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php/topic,4285.0.html

A 9MM will kill just about anything, its all about shot placement, but like many other posters have said, you need to check your local laws as there is a minimum caliber that you can use to kill large game and sometimes 9mm isnt it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
ahhh i was wondering why i seen very few. so why are they so hard to find? are they discontiued or just sell off fast. im very very new to the carbine gun . i was wanting to get the 4095 but sounds like i wont find one. ty for the (wwb) still getting the abreveations.wat do you know about speer products then are they good ammo or stick with winchester.

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
I use speer gold dot hollowpoints. Dont know about anything else manufactured by them. I don't think the carbine feed too well with hollowpoints as it is.
I do believe that the 4095 was discontinued. And if it wasn't I'm sure they're making as many 995s as they can get out so they may just not be making them now. I had one that I bought in feb or march and sold to another forum member. Just keep lookin on places like GB and Auction arms and even around here and I'm sure you'll find one.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Maybe you just got a bad batch of ammo.....I have found the UMC stuff to be a bit dirtyer but not like u discribed..lol....as for the comp issue I used a little mid grade lock-tite and havent had a problem for the last 5k or so of ammo....good shooting and nice post. BTW i am pretty sure the adjustmant on the BSA is 1/2 inch but i dont know for sure

1 - 7 of 7 Posts