Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the hay!?!? Has this happened to anyone else? I just bought a used 12GA shotgun this past Monday at a pawn shop with no problems. They called it in and I walked out with it 5 minutes later. I don't have anything on my record that should have caused this. The only thing I'm guilty of is driving fast, I do have a couple of speeding tickets. The only other thing I thought might have caused a problem is I recently got a duplicate of my driver's license because the previous one had my old address on it and my FFL told me it had to be current, so anyway when I went to get the duplicate and they changed my DL# because it was my SS#. Anyway, I'm freaking out here. On one hand because I got the delay and it makes me nervous and on the other because I'm like a little kid at Christmas time waiting to get my hands on that C9 (my first handgun purchase). He told me I could come pick the gun up on March 4th, which is next Wednesday. Will the FFL have to call back and run it again or will I just be able to get the gun?

·
Banned
401 Posts
Just means based on your information a flag was raised and they will do a more in depth check to see if you are clear, I have had it happen a couple of times with no other outcome, it is not that uncommon to have it happen...if you have nothing to worry about, just look forward to picking your gun up on the 4th.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The last 2 times i have purchased i was put on a delay but they each only lasted about 10 minutes. I just got my license changed over and they said it usually takes about a little time before they get it right in the system...its just a flag because the I.D. has been changed so they have to double check.

·
Registered
638 Posts
My brother was flagged for about a week when he bought a hangun a couple of months ago. Only reason we could figure was because he had lived outside the country for a couple of years. All in all he was finally approved.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Delays happen all the time, and not due to anything criminal. Some of the most common are:

-Major changes to your State ID or address within a period of time
-Any record of you living outside of the United States in a capacity other than a tourist
-Large number of purchases of firearms
-Large number of state registered purchases (Such as buying an automobile, house/land, boat AND a gun or two all in the same week or so)
-A relative being convicted or charged with a crime, but not yourself
-Similiar name of someone being investigated or convicted of a crime
-If you have reported the loss of a credit card/SS card/Operator's license or the reporting of the loss by a major financial institution.
-If you have recently filed for divorce
-If you are a naturalized immigrant

Among other things.

Sometimes it can be a black art. I get delayed ALL THE TIME. You learn to compensate for it. If I do buy my arms, I put them on layaway so the waiting period doesn't bother me :D

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
i get delayed unless i put my SSN on the form and have them spell my last name exactly to the operator. there is a guy with a name one letter off that is a red flag/no sale. ive gotten delayed and denied because they get us mixed up.

SW

·
Registered
64 Posts
+1 with neothespian. I get delayed all the time. It has been as little as ten minutes all the way to the legal limit of three days, at which time they have to sell you the gun if there is no other reason not to. One reason that i was given is because I am a former police officer!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I got good news and bad news. The good news is my FFL called today and told me I was cleared and I could come pick up my gun. The bad news is I was out of town and will have to wait until Monday now. Atleast now though I know I can go get the durn thing with no trouble.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i get delayed unless i put my SSN on the form and have them spell my last name exactly to the operator. there is a guy with a name one letter off that is a red flag/no sale. ive gotten delayed and denied because they get us mixed up.

SW
Yeah... I know that guy. He's Silicone Wolverine... that guy is an arse! :D j/k

I recently got my first delay. Yeah, it makes you think. By the time I got home they called me back and told me I could come pickup my shotgun. Funny thing is, "their" (BATF?) computers were down, and instead of admitting it to the dealers; they just delayed everyone.

2 hours later that day I purchased a, and it went through with a "proceed" within minutes.

Go figure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello all . my first post after reading for several weeks

any way , went to the local gun shop here in california, and was told that i could pick up my new c9 in 10 days (2 days from now)

well , i got a call today and was told there is a delay

so i called doj , and they asked me if i had been arrested, detained or jailed. i responded that in my 18 years as an official adult, i only have speeding tickets. and which point the operator very rudly points out that she had not specified age.

well when i was 15 i stole a bike, spent a couple of months in juvenile hall. i thought being a minor it wouldn't affect me for the rest of my life.

well since then , i had pasted my life insurance test with ease. only to be delayed for 8 months by doj!!!!!!! needless to say i had found other work in that time. what had happened was the courts lost my paper work!! never to be found!!!!!!

so what happens now since they are unable to verify my court proceedings? i thought that once you where an adult that your youth criminal record was a thing of the past.

any pointers would be nice, as i can't wait to go get my hi-point c9, and for sure can't wait while the mag's break in to go put some lead down range :devilsidesmile:

let alone 8 months

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
The nice thing about a CCW: no phonecall! Fill out 4473, show FFL the permit: and walk out with purchase!
that differs from state to state. in SD you have to have a CCW AND pass a NICS check to walk out with a handgun. the sate of SD requires a DCI check on handgun purchases, and thats whats done to get a CCW permit.

SW

·
Registered
452 Posts
This last summer I got delayed. Talked about pissed off. I purchased 4 firearms in two days, instant red flag. I did not know that at the time. Funny thing is 4 guns 3 stores. Store 1 was the same as the the last one were I got delayed and do alot of business at. Still to this day its a ongoing joke. Owner tells me now do I need to get you a sitter for you dont do anything wrong on the way home. lol... Yes It is a pain but usally is nothing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts