Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a day off, had some money in my pocket...

I haven't even drove by a gun store since March or so. And thinks are WAY different. Ammo can be had, ARs are all over the place. I even saw "sales" been about five years since I've seen a firearm "sale"

AND, GSG-5s ARE IN STOCK!

I shopped three different gunstores (including Gander) and none of them had the -5P though, otherwise I would be posting in a different section....

Is the "crazy" that lead to the shortage over? Are people realizing that nobody is taking our guns? Are things looking up?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
No it means that everyone with the mind to is already armed and stockpiled.

If ammo continues its downward trend I will pick up a few more cases of 308 but Ive long ago gotten into the habit of training with the rim fires. Dry fire practice is doing the job on the MBRs so no need to burn the ammo. On a side note rim fire ammo has gotten a little hard to get for the good stuff like Wolf Target and SK but no overly so.

When this current fiasco over health care is over they will turn attention to us, its a matter of time.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When this current fiasco over health care is over they will turn attention to us, its a matter of time.
So, I should engulf myself in the hysteria and stockpile while the supply is available?

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
To quote a really stupid movie... "You never go full retard".... The thing is, the hysteria only showed the real fact that Americans actually did have money to burn, and bought up everything they thought would be wrested from their grasp. I don't understand it, and I don't think economists paid much attention to it either when they were talking about the "recession". I just think that people were prioritizing their purchases, and the ability to defend and feed themselves trumped other frivolous non-essentials at that time.

Now, being prepared is smart, and that is what I would recommend. Don't go off the deep end and buy 10,000 rounds of ammo just cuz you can afford it. Get yourself about 5,000 rounds for the guns you shoot the most of and put it away. Then get yourself a running stock of reloading essentials *you said you were going that route eventually anyway, so might as well get what you need as things become available again* and work from there. As mentioned before, train primarily with rimfires if you have one. It's amazing how long it acutally takes to shoot 550 rounds in a bulk pack of .22LR, if you're actually training with it and not just plinking for fun.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Then get yourself a running stock of reloading essentials *you said you were going that route eventually anyway, so might as well get what you need as things become available again*
I did, I went out to Sportman's warehouse out here before they went under to buy a press. And their reloading guru there told me not to even waste my time. Because powder quality is too low and inconsistent, that and primers can't be had anywhere...I heard that from five different gun store employees.

It's amazing how long it acutally takes to shoot 550 rounds in a bulk pack of .22LR, if you're actually training with it and not just plinking for fun.
Yeah, I think I have some ~50,000 rounds through my Buckmark and I know how long it does take to plink for fun. I might train more with my Buckmark though, it has the same dimensions and grip angle of my 1911. I'd have to put the iron sights back on though and get used to the quick draw and on to target.

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
If anyone told you to not waste your time, they're just as crazy as they are stupid. Buy a press, dies, powder and primers and get started. We'll help you out, as that's what we're here for.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
My for real thoughts: the idiot sheeple thought that obama was going to outlaw everthing..may still try..but for right now..so they bought everything up, now the manufacturers are working like crazy to get back to the supply that they had. the stores are either out or price gouging for the ammo that they had stockpiled. i give it 6-12 more months and things will be back to where they were. when they do though, i'm buying up everything that i can and hopefully people will stay complacent and let me do it. i practice with .22 all the time, just went friday and burnt up some. remember that even if you don't have rounds for your other guns, when the wars come, a .22 will do some damage just the same and put dinner on the table.

am i scared? no, i think it was a mob mentality and internet bullshat that set sheeple off. once things settle down though, i think that around christmas i'm going to get a reloader and start. after talking to SuperVirgil tonite on the PS3 i'm pretty set in my mind to take my christmas bonus and get the complete progressive all the bells and whistles set up and start. hell i aint got nothing better to do than sit with a CC and diet coke, a cig and the TV and pull a lever all night!

also i'm thinking at the first of the year to go ahead and enact my 100% VA disability and take on the social security office and go the full 100%. my only issue with this is that i would seriously have to find something productive, aside from reloading, to do with my time otherwise i think i would be a serious alcoholic. hey at least i can say so. it would be out of boredom. instead of having a few cocktails after work it would be..hey it's breakfast...how bout a drink??????

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i think i would be a serious alcoholic. hey at least i can say so. it would be out of boredom. instead of having a few cocktails after work it would be..hey it's breakfast...how bout a drink??????
NOTHING good can come of that, trust me.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
i believe you bro, i'm just saying if i was soooooo bored, then that is what it would lead to. now i'm a wood worker, craft type, but the market is only in the winter when the snowbirds are here. i have a granson so that would take up a lot of my time, reloading would be more. but if i started going to the VFW and American Legion, then the drinking starts!!! The issue would be to keep as i am, a couple of cocktails at 1700 after work and then quit, compared to down time with everything else. Maybe i could raise OWLS???

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
9mm has been around here for a few months, I even got .380 off midways website a few days ago. but I wouldn't say the shortage is over until I see so much ammo on the shelf they have to have a Discount Sell!

·
1,792 Posts
I agree with primal.

And a side not reloading only sounds hard once you set up you will realize how simple it is.

Tailoring loads for max effect well that is a time issue not so much rocket science.

Some one make that sound mo smatta..........

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
The one thing that BO has shown of his character is that he is not concerned with any moral compass and has said many times he views the Constitution as a hindrance. Now why was it idiotic to prepare for some sweeping gun control that the Dems had promised anyway? In fact one of the reasons it didn't happen was the wide spread sudden interest in the Second Amendment from a few million new gun owners. Suddenly it wasn't just going to tick off a small number of "gun nuts" but a very large segment of "voters".

But because it inconvenienced some that should have already stockpiled ammo but couldn't be "bothered" with the effort it was time to blame the "idiotic sheeple". Personalty I am over joyed that so many thought so much of the right to arms that they placed it high on the priorities list. Yes it ran the price up but now that is correcting and the prices are coming down slowly but steadily.

So count your blessings so far and realize you got caught with your pants down without more consequence than some inconvenience. It is almost assured they will go after the 2A as some point before the 2010 elections while they have the numbers. But the rules have changed since 94 and this time we are ready in more ways than one.

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
Roadkill, I would seriously discourage you from smoking while reloading. Or reloading after a cocktail, but that's just me. Gunpowder is very unforgiving when exposed to open flames...

Just a thought.... ;)

Bomber101581, Tropic Thunder SUCKED! Sorry, but that's my opinion. :devilsidesmile:

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Roadkill, I would seriously discourage you from smoking while reloading. Or reloading after a cocktail, but that's just me. Gunpowder is very unforgiving when exposed to open flames...

Just a thought.... ;)

Bomber101581, Tropic Thunder SUCKED! Sorry, but that's my opinion. :devilsidesmile:
For reasons than one since the chemicals will transfer to your hands to the cig to your mouth the ingestion of them will drop more IQ points than any of us can afford. Eating is also taboo for the same reason.

·
Registered
177 Posts
To quote a really stupid movie... "You never go full retard"....
simple jack!

i didn't think that movie was stupid.....but thats just my opinion!
I laughed my a** off in that movie. I even went to the concession stand to pick up a can of "Booty Sweat." :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts