Wet testing wool clothing at -30

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Jackpine Savage, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Jackpine Savage

Jackpine Savage Member

2. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

YUP I can attest to the fact that wool at -30 is still warm I have spent quite a few cold Maine nights at structure fires with cotton and wollies on and get wet and stay dry

I am allergic to wool so I wear the cotton long john under the wollies even with cotton wet the wool will keep you warm where cotton alonw won't

3. In cold wet weather cotton kills. Even when faced with an overnight stay with temps in the 50's one can die of hypothermia if your cotton clothing becomes wet.

For those who are allergic to wool, and this means real allergies not just the itches, you should wear Polypropylene under garments in place of cotton, then layer that with wool inner and outer garments. Polypropylene will wick moisture away from the body, like wool does, and keep you from going hypothermic due to wet under garments next to the skin. If you combine wool and Polypropylene for your winter clothing you will remain dry, warm and most importantly alive.

The single most important thing is to keep a change of dry socks and under garments on hand and change them out regularly.

4. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

The single most important thing is to keep a change of dry socks and under garments on hand and change them out regularly.

I agree BUT it's kinda hard to do at a fire in the middle of the night :lol:

5. You should try doing it at 7500+ft on a Colorado mountain side with no camp fire! Alpine Survival School ran by the USMC is down right brutal. Final exam consisted of a 5 day/5 night hike up the mountain with full pack and winter gear and a single MRE and dead rabbit. Starting on day three you loose a layer to your sleeping bag and field jacket and by day five you have a sleeping bag shell, field jacket with no liner, single pair of poly undies, wool socks and winter issue BDU's. Oh yeah, day four the group gets a nice frozen coyote to divvy up for food without the benefit of a fire to cook the darn thing first.

I was always glad to head south for work, thanks to the powers that were we never had to head north for serious work. Extended winter ops will claim a good percentage of a units ability to perform its job and that's long before you make contact with the enemy.

6. herrmannek

herrmannek Guest

Can't tell much about real wool because i haven't used in it field much, but I use poor's man synthetic wool substitutes on all my hiking trips. I limit use of cotton as much as possible. And I'm very pleased. I sweat a lot and woolish things let the water evaporate instead of accumulating near the skin making water deadly cold... Cotton kills. Wool FTW

7. You can get the 100% wool blankets that the military uses at most surplus stores. I used them for 15 years in the Navy and I KNOW they work. I try to stay away from cotton as much as possible.