What all have you killed with a shotgun?? Please say BEAR.

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by condition1, Jun 5, 2008.

1. condition1

condition1 Member

this should be interesting. If this doesn't belong in 'caliber' feel free to move, mods.

2. I have killed deer, squirrel, turkey, dove, rabbits, a rabid dog once upon a time, racoons, mice, a CRAPLOAD of clay pidgeons, a bunch of real pidgeons..... What else.... Some old tires, a ULTRA CRAP LOAD of paper targets.... some other empty shotgun shell hulls... cardboard... OH!!! A South Georgia wild hog!!! That one was cool!!! 000 buckshot put her down for good!!!!

Was that what you wanted?

3. Ari

Ari Guest

What are you really asking? Though I have not killed a bear with a shotgun there are plenty of bear that been taken with shotgun slugs.

4. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

jackrabbit, cottontail, dog, cat, coon, badger, fox, coyote, snakes of various disreptue, deer, antelope and while it wasnt technically a shotgun, i did shoot a squirrel in my basement with a .357 mag shot round.

SW

5. Lots if time at the skeet range and most of what everyone else done kilt too.

6. condition1

condition1 Member

Well, all the 762x54 had gotten so heated that I just thought we should all talk about something else. It was a legit question though. Just to get a feel for what people hunt.
    as for me: various brands of duck, squirrels, beaver, turtles, snakes, nuisance birds, rabbit, coons, possums, beaver.
    "Lots of time", good one rimfirehunter.

7. rabbit, squirrel, deer, etc.

You don't need a shotgun to kill a bear. I know a guy who got one trapped in a thicket and beat it to death with a stick :shock:

8. Grouse, coyote and fox...

9. Fourboxes

Fourboxes Member

You don't even need a shotgun for that, just a shell and a magic marker. Write his name on the shell, put it on the mantle, ask what time they'll be home.

10. well I really cant say, but you sure find out who your true friends are when there is a body to get rid of......... wait a minute, I never said that :)

Seriously, rabbits, squirrel, quail, the occasional trouble making dog or cat.

11. BDW2084

BDW2084 Guest

Couple gray squirrels and a turkey.

12. SteveD

SteveD Member

my old '61 Plymouth Fury,deer, 5 gallon buckets full of water and paper targets. At the price of slugs the 870 don't get used to much any more :(

13. zombiehunter

zombiehunter Guest

how much constitutes as a "crapload"? lol

14. Turkey, geese, ducks, dove, white tail and mule deer, feral hogs, and one metric crapload of rabbits. All of these were taken with shot type loads, I dont really like slugs unless you trade out for a rifled barrel but if you did i dont see why it wouldnt be an effective weapon for brown or black bear hunting but honestly i would prefer something with better range and penetration for anything bigger like grizzly or kodiak.

15. 3daughters

3daughters Guest

Paper and many, many clay pigeons.

16. John H

John H Member

What kind of bear are you looking to shoot? Anything's possible, that's when a good P.H. earns his pay as insurance.

17. condition1

condition1 Member

I have no desire to shoot a bear. They are too scarce in AR. I questioned once, if given the opportunity, that I might trap one and turn in loose in the office one Monday morning. I'm jiving, or course.

I wondered what type of hunting most people do.

I do want to photograph a bear in the worst way.

18. I've killed squirrels and birds with .410 bore. And many many boards and pieces of paper with 12 gauge. :mrgreen:

19. ziggy222

ziggy222 Guest

i know that in hippo infested waters the gun of choice for self defence is a shotgun loaded with slugs.you should have no problem with bear